“Modern well presented hotel for golfers and non golfers”

St Mellion International Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Saltash
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Our stay was for 3 nights with breakfast. On arrival we checked in to our superior room which was very well decorated and clean. The balcony overlooked the 18th hole with lovely views of the countryside beyond.
One small thing to note was that there was no trouser press and the lighting in the bathroom was a little dim. Otherwise we were more than happy with the room and would recommend the superior room as standard accommodation is probably overlooking the car park with no balcony.
We ventured out to the swimming pool and found the leisure pool to be out of use due to high levels of chlorine we decided to take a swim in the main pool and make use of sauna and steam room. We were surprised to be told there was a strict policy of only one towel each although we could have additional ones at an extra £1.50 each after a short discussion we were given extra towels at no extra charge. I found it astonishing that a hotel of this standard would expect guests to pay extra for addtional towels.
The main pool was very busy with children and it seems the pool is used for swimming lessons by non residents.
The full breakfast was plentiful very tasty sausages and bacon sourced from a local butcher and plenty of fruit yogurt cereal etc.
We ate in the restaurant 2 out of 3 nights and it was very nice and service was very good.
There are not many restaurants in surrounding area but one night we ate out in Plymouth at the Barbican kitchen Brasserie.
All said and done this is a very good hotel with friendly staff and and we enjoyed our stay and got a good night's sleep in this quiet location.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for St Mellion International Resort

995 - 1,001 of 1,028 reviews

Reviewed 15 July 2010

Having just returned from a long weekends break down in this beauitful part of the country, our or should I say 'my' intention was a well earned round of golf but it certainly offers more than the superb courses, It's recently been refurbished and what a modern, chic establishment it was. We dined in both nights due to the quality of the food offered and had a very relaxing stay made memorabe by the warmth of the staff and their professional attitude. To get a quality hotel linked with such fantastic golf facilities is a real pleasure and when out indulging my past time, my partner was relaxing in the pool / leisure facilities.
Hope to make a return visit before the end of the summer and highly recommend anybody, not just golfers to this fabulous hotel

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2010

The gym is nice and has good equipment.
The swimming pool and changing rooms aren't great. Lots of kids in the pool so st mellion isnt a quiet escape. It doesn't feel clean and needs to be revamped.
My room had toe nails on the floor which made my skin crawl so I had to get my husband to help clean up. The toilet wasn't clean, urine around the toilet bowl and the smell was bad in the bathroom. I could stomach cleaning the floor but not the loo so I had to ask room service to clean the toilet. The bathroom floor had hairs on it and I left it there hoping that room service would see it but it was left there throughout my stay. The cleanliness of the room did upset my experience at the resort.
This trip is great for lads going on a golfing holiday but I wouldn't recommend it to couples or people expecting really good spa facilities.
Breakfast was OK. Best to book the night before for cheaper rates than to pay in the morning. Breakfast service wasn't great.
Dinner was decent. Service was better in the evening. The bar is good. There isnt much communication between the staff at St Mellion so if you are making any bookings its good to double check.
Golfing isnt cheap I would recommend that you bring your own clubs because renting them is expensive. You also cant share clubs. Strict rules which is good. The golf course is amazing and its where the english open will be held in 2011. So well worth playing. The hotel is close to historic towns Fowey and the Eden Project.
I am not entirely sure that I would tell a friend about the hotel because the cleanliness was poor.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank mazzc7
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I took my girlfriend here for 2 nights in late June for a Birthday treat, I booked late and opted for a superior room with balcony which overlooked the 18th hole of the famous Nicklaus course.

Check in was very efficient and there was ample car parking.

When shown to our room it was of a good size with modern (if a little vibrant in places!) furnishings a decent corner bath/power shower and free spa lotions. The balcony was spectacular with a lovely view of the course and surrounding Cornish countryside.

The first problem we came accross was the smoking arrangement - me and my partner are both strict non smokers and straight away the room smelt a bit smokey despite having a strict hotel wide non smoking policy - The problem soon became apparent, the couple next door were smoking on the balcony and the doors to the balcony had been left open during maid service. I telephoned reception to ask the policy and was told it was 'a grey area' I was promised a call back but, no one phoned. I chased this up by visiting reception and was told that the couple next door had been telephoned and asked to smoke 'considerately'. Not great but an OK outcome I guess. Luckily they were only staying for the first night of our stay and we kept our balcony door firmly shut from then until the following afternoon.

We decided to try the two pools and spa in the evening which was very nice, relaxing and again modern. Good facilites with little room for improvement here.

Food price wise was on par with hotels of a similar class but certainly not fantastic value for money.

The room was classy with no noise and decent pillows/beds - no problem with a good nights sleep. Although getting the toilet cistern to be quiet was a task and required a few flushes - to avoid a strange buzzing sound!! This never annoyed us enough to report it.

The surrounding area was interesting, with the shopping at Drakes Circus and Plymouth being very good. However you are looking at a fair drive to many of the tourist attractions in Newquay, Padstow, Bodmin etc.

We went for a walk round the course one evening and it was a beautiful standard although I didn't play on it this time - maybe I will return.

Check out was efficient and completed the stay nicely, I was asked whether everything was ok which was refreshing from some hotels of late.

All in all would recommend just be careful on their smoking policies!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 June 2010

My partner and i went to st mellion as a wedding anniversary treat. Lawrence was brilliant and took us to our rooms personally and was very friendly, talked us through the hotels facility's and where everything was. It was a good start. The room was again beautiful and spacious, we had superb views of the golf course.

However, we went to the brasserie for dinner and were shocked and appauled at the state of the service. Kirsty was terrible, she was rude and unhelpful and disinterested in talking to us about the menu. The restaurant wasnt too busy so we expected more attention from her as our waitress, but she spent more time flirting with the man behind the bar than looking after us. she didnt give us a soup spoon when my husband had soup and he had to ask the girl who deivered our food. Between courses Kirsty left our plates on the table and didnt check us. l had to ask another waiter to look at the desert menu. The table next to us experienced the same abrupt poor service from her and were considering making an official complaint but Kirsty told them (whether this be true i dont know) that the manager was on holiday and there were no supervisors on shift. However, on the plus side the food was excellent.

In light of this husband and i then desided not to eat at st mellion for the next few nights.
But when we did, the service was totally different. We were personally taken to our seat and a friendly waitress (george on the name badge, but after some confusion and explanations it turned out she was in fact called georgina) came over promptly gave us menu and took our drinks order. She then came back over with our and chatted about the menu, the wines she would recommend for the food and the places to go in cornwall. eventhough (unlike when kirsty was serving us) the brasserie was really busy. She bent over backwards for us and was a asset to st mellion. However, we did discover that she usually works in the fine dining resturant (which after her recomendation, we booked for the following night-excellent service there too, will come onto that later) which may have been why her service was so attentive. We urge st mellion to train more staff like her for the brasserie.
As i said earlier, we went into the fine dining restaurant the following night. The food was divine and the service was brilliant. The bar man (whose name i have forgotten) was very knowledgeable on both wine and cocktails and made our cocktails perfectly. I would recommend a visit to an boiesti (the restaurant) for anyone staying at st mellion.It was a perfect evening.

so overall we enjoyed our stay. But would recommend to any future visitors to avoid being served (or ignored) by kirsty.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lauraloooo
Reviewed 9 June 2010

We have just returned from the hotel and will be returning. It is a golfers hotel but as non golfers we found it a lovely place to stay. The rooms are very modern and the bathrooms are fab, I would like to have put the bath and bed in my case! I like little luxuries when i go away and the Elemis products provided were lovely. It was worth spending the extra money on a superior room, sitting out on the balcony over looking the course was very relaxing. Dinner was very good.
We had a problem whilst staying and the staff couldn't have been more helpful.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2010

its a lovely place but went to restaurant for my breakfast and the service is very poor as i have to wait an hour for my boiled egg and when its arrives its runny hasnt cook the way i wanted and there is only two staff workin in a busy restaurant i feel sorry for the waitress.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maridonna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saltash
China Fleet Country Club
#5 of 9 in St Austell
The Carlyon Bay
The Carlyon Bay
#1 of 9 in St Austell

Been to St Mellion International Resort? Share your experiences!