Review Highlights
Blast from the past

As an ex matelot living in Plymouth back in the 70s, this became my favourite pub ever. It was... read more

Reviewed 17 August 2018
OggiOggi
Northampton, United Kingdom
Great Pub

First came here as a kid in the 1970s, was a great 'real' pub then and still is now. Have some... read more

Reviewed 8 August 2018
ikkoof
United Kingdom

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

I understand that until half a dozen years ago it was a bit run down but all the more authentic and characterful for that. When I came here during the spring it had been ticked up a good deal but still felt right. It's a very easy going and untainted village pub even if the tarmac on the old rubble car park and the smart pointing to the outbuilding make it look much more cared for than it had apparently for decades. I still like it a lot. Only five minutes drive down off the Callington road.

Date of experience: June 2013
8  Thank Hilly J
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Not sure about the last review. May have confused the location. This place doesn't do food. Hasn't in recent memory. It is however a lovely well conducted and convivial village pub. Slightly renovated but not losing its essential character. We come here maybe every other month. I never want to be the nominated driver..

Date of experience: July 2013
9  Thank Chris D
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Pleased it's listed. No pretentions. A well liked pub. Not much if any tourist trade. Good to sit outside but I like the smaller bar. Friendly unpushy hospitable service.

Date of experience: May 2013
11  Thank Crow M
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I am very pleased that this place has been added to Tripadvisor as an attraction. I firmly regard this as one of the most authentic welcoming and unspoilt small village rural pubs, I have known. It seems to do no advertising. Doesn't have irritating repetitive signs guiding tourists in from main roads, nor is there anything depressingly in your face at the pub itself. I started coming jere decades ago, not long after leaving school and in those days the yard was heavily overgrown, the bar next to the car park was ramshackle and run down but had a fantastic character reminiscent of some of the scenes in Penkinpah's 1971 film Straw Dogs. The other bar varied over time but was always essentially a free and easy laid back place with mostly local people. Inside and out has been slightly tidied up. The lawn cut and some wooden tables with a view across to the lovely old church. I like the feel of this pub. Somewhere you can go for a couple or more without any of the hassle or pushiness of hard sell anxious modern bars. Try it. I doubt you will be remotely disappointed.

Date of experience: May 2013