“Stay at Crooked Hotel July 14”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Crooked Inn

Crooked Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Saltash
Nantwich, United Kingdom
“Stay at Crooked Hotel July 14”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed for one night at the Crooked Inn recently. It was a freindly welcome and a very comfortable stay. There were no close amenities around so we chose to have our evening meal there and we had a lovely meal and were able to have a drink whilst sitting in the court yard admiring the ducks and geese and lovely couple of kittens. We even found the old pony, Laddie the next day walking around the grounds.

The only problem we encountered was that when we booked a double ensuite room on line, it was apparently priced incorrectly and at the winter price so we were asked to pay an extra £35 upon checking out which we did. However, I later emailed the Crooked Inn and explained what had happened as I felt this was unfair. I was pleased when we were recompenssed once the error had been investigated and confirmed and the money was refunded to my card. So I'm happy to say that we would definitely revisit the Crooked Inn should we be in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I booked online for a double room. Only me staying.
When I arrived, I was checked in to a twin. On querying, an apology was given about problems with the online booking system but it was explained that they couldn't move me to a double because they were fully booked. I asked if they could move me for my second night and they agreed.
Obviously it's a bit annoying to move rooms, not least because I was asked to check out of my twin by the normal check out time. I arranged to go out and when I returned later they hadn't moved my luggage as had been promised.
When I checked out on my final morning, they couldn't work out how much I owed (again, a problem with the online booking system). I was then questioned as to why I had moved rooms (answer: I had booked a double) and then questioned several times as to why I wanted a double room if it was only me staying. They seemed not to believe me that I was staying by myself and couldn't understand why I might prefer the comfort of a double room. Quite honestly, I didn't see why it mattered. The fact was, that as a customer, I had booked a double room and quite reasonably expected to be put in one!
Otherwise, the hotel was adequate. The twin room had a nice bathroom with a bath. The double room had a rather pokey shower room and it was also VERY difficult to open and close the main door to the room as they had new thick pile carpet put down recently. I also found the curtains very thin in both rooms and got woken up early by the sun.
The restaurant looked like it had a nice menu although I didn't eat there. I ate breakfast both mornings. The first day I ordered toast and scrambled eggs and both were disappointingly overcooked. The second day I had a divine eggs royale and the waiter that morning couldn't have been more charming or polite.
Overall a rather disappointing experience and I think I'll book at St Mellion next time I come down. Irritating as my friend has moved very close so this would have been the ideal base.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a bath and some only showers. Probably worth double checking you've actually go...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SophieJasmine
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here mid-week for a couple of nights. Nice rooms and good breakfasts. Really relaxing and friendly place to stay near Plymouth. You can also use the spa/gym facilities down the road which was ideal. Only grumble was that as we had a room overlooking the pretty courtyard folk were drinking until quite late and was quite loud until midnight.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roxstediis_wife
Swansea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

What a lovely place to stay, eat and drink,Tucked away off the main route, but still in easy reach. Friendly staff, nice food, and great accommodation with a friendly atmosphere.Highly recommended.This hotel restaurant really is a little gem of the south.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Woody8212
Cheshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Its not hard to recommend this as a place to stay. It is almost perfect. I had a nice room, the bathroom was clean, the bed comfortable with good quality linen. It is set in perfect grounds for kids to run around in and the view from the garden was impressive. beer and food was good quality and value. All in all a cut above the competition locally and good value all round.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank CheshireIanP
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed 3 nights visiting family in Saltash. Following a long trip from Australia we were looking for a friendly and comfortable place to stay and we found it, The room was great...nice and country quiet with a restaurant that we can only recommend highly. The staff were friendly and helpful and we will certainly return one day,

Room Tip: Better to get details when booking,,,ask for recommendations, We were happy with the room allocated.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank steveking1952
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

This owners here have a real sense of humour and atention to detail. There are baby ducks quacking outside the door and kittens playing with you if you let them.. set in beautiful Cornish countryside just outside Satash the chef delivers superb food at a very reasonable price. I would come here every day for lunch if I could!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saltash
China Fleet Country Club
#1 of 3 in Lostwithiel
Tredethy House
Tredethy House
#1 of 1 in Tredethy

Been to Crooked Inn? Share your experiences!