“Really impressed”

The Royal Oak
Ranked #12 of 94 Restaurants in Ripon
Price range: US$6 - US$25
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: All of our food is freshly prepared in house by our talented brigade of chefs. We are lucky to be located in an area rich with excellent local produce. This is reflected in our menu’s that change seasonally enabling us to use ingredients when they are at there best. We offer a wide selection of meat and vegetarian meals, with a mouth watering desserts menu alongside a carefully chosen wine list to compliment your meals.
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Not visited Ripon for nearly two years. A few places closed in that time. This place was recommended by the owner of the gallery opposite. A wet Tuesday lunch but the food was excellent. Pig cheeks, black pudding and mustard sauce followed by cassoulet. Both piping hot and large portions. My wife had soup followed by fish and chips. Again, huge portions and piping hot. Service good. Staff friendly. Good selection of real ales which would need to be sampled when not driving!!

1  Thank davsal78

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I think this is one of the best value lunch menus I've ever seen! I had a wonderfully fresh crispy piece of haddock (cooked perfectly), chips and mushy peas and my partner had a huge club sandwich overflowing with chicken and bacon and served with a bowl of homemade chips. Along with a small beer and a soft drink our bill came to an amazing £15.00!!! There were about 6 or 7 choices on the special lunch menu - all the pub classics really and all priced at around the £7/8 mark including a drink. They also have a longer lunch menu as well as lots of specials on blackboards. Service was very friendly. Best pub lunch I've had in a long time.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We went here on 11th October as a party of six. Not a good start as they had no record of our booking. My wife had actually gone in to book it and watched them write down the details, so what happened to it is anybody's guess.
The restaurant is not elegant or sophisticated, However they do serve very good food in a friendly and cheerful manner. We all enjoyed our meals and no waste went back to the kitchen, which is always a good sign! The best type of "Pub Grub". They do house wines which are fairly priced and reasonable quality together with Timothy Taylors beers. As a pub it is one of the better ones in town which I use occasionally. It has not yet been overrun by the urban gorillas.
I have never tested the accommodation so cannot comment.

2  Thank Bri_in_the_Sky
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Started with a Timothy Taylor's dark mild, which made me predisposed to enjoying the evening anyway. Beautifully presented pie 'n mash continued the enjoyment. Superb pastry case (yes, not just a crust on a pot!!!!), delicious filling, good mash on top & made pretty with crisped potato decoration. Everybody else was delighted with their choices too. Onion rings have to be seen to be believed. Deserts were all good too. Friendly service too.

1  Thank Softietours
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We made a special trip to Ripon to check out the food after having seen the tripadvisor reviews and checked out the website. The choice and added options on the specials board cover all the tastes, even for a fussy vegetarian like me (it doesn't happen very often that I can't decide between three short listed options....).
The description of the dishes sounded excellent, with lots of unusual twists. This can often then turn out to be a bit of a let down, so we were delighted that the food arrived not only beautifully presented but also even better tasting than expected.
My three regrets are 1) all rooms were fully booked as we would have loved to stay over; 2) I didn't have enough room left for a third, dessert course and 3) I wish the place was closer to where we live

Love it, can't recommend it enough

3  Thank himalheidi1