White Horse Bed & Breakfast
The Old Coach House(North Stainley)
US$121
US$148
Mallard Grange(Aldfield)
Official Site
The Moorhouse(Kirkby Malzeard)
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsstable blockthe pubmain buildingshaving pointstable courtcooked breakfastoff roadrooms are cleanfull englishlovely place to visitgreat weekendgood sizelarge bathroomlightwater valleyfirst morningset us up for the dayeach evening
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have just stayed for two nights and what brilliant value for money.The cooked breakfast included in the price was very good along with the friendly service.We would recommend the White Horse to friend's and family.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Earl1765
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The room was fine and clean, the breakfast excellent and its location and parking make it a very attractive proposition . Good power shower, tea and coffee making and nice 'biccies'. The rooms are in a pretty courtyard area at the back which would have once been a stable yard, and so full of character.You can't fault it on that or value for money. On my one night, a Sunday, it was very noisy. I 'surmised' that the guys in the bar were probably the 'Sunday' drinkers who were regulars and they gathered outside smoking, near the accommodation talking very loudly. One in particular, a Scotsman, gave a very loud (and not award winning !) rendition of 'Flower of Scotland' at 11.30..and his talking voice carried a long way !. They dwindled away about midnight. This is the problem, that the outside 'smoking table' is quite close to the courtyard rooms and people do get boisterous after a few (lots of ) pints. The smoke did actually drift into the courtyard area and could give 'stayers' the impression that the rooms had been smoked in, but it doesn't permeate into the rooms as far as I could tell. I think this is a bit of a shame as overall it was excellent. I sympathize with the landlord as he has to find somewhere for the smokers to go and it was also a hot summer evening when I stayed , so they were outside. Maybe it's quieter during the week or cooler weather. To balance this though, I have stayed at the Wet*****oons pub/ hotel up the road in the market square. This was even more noisy as it has a larger clientele and picks up the noise of crowds of people and kids in the square at night.On reflection I would return to the White Horse as in terms of 'all round' value, it comes out on top.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Bobbybass55
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We booked 3 rooms for a one night stay as we were going to Ripon Race course.
On arrival we went into the bar and were greeted by the man owner very friendly anf helpful even telling us to go to the bookmakers as they were giving money off coupons for the racing..
We checked into our rooms we were all in the lively coutyard..all of our rooms were very clean and hadlovely selection of tea coffee and biscuits..(:
We needed to borrow a iron which was no trouble at all.
I then shut the curtains and they fell off the raul...the lady was excellent when i told her and quickly re.- hang them...
The bar was nice and friendly .
Breakfast was scrummy..and a lot of choice.
We would defanilty return to this b&b if we were in ripon.
Thankyou for making our stay so enjoyable...(:

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Rainbow_32187477
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We booked this b&b as we were going to the Great Yorkshire Show and wanted to have a look around North Yorkshire before we went home. When we arrived, there was nowhere for us to park. 2 of our party went into the pub to check in and to enquire about parking. After a few minutes, the lady behind the bar had organised some of the customers to rearrange their cars so that we could fit into the car park.

We were shown to our rooms which were in a courtyard away from the main pub. They were clean and very comfortable. There was everything we needed: tea & coffee making facilities, towels, toiletries, hairdryer and plenty of sockets for charging phones etc... The only down side was that we thought the main doors could be a little more secure. They were fine for an overnight stay but I may have been a little nervous leaving my things there for a few days.

After a very good night's sleep (and having to move the car to let out a customer which was not the fault of the B&B) we went into the pub for breakfast. This was freshly cooked and very nice, we asked for more toast and the owner was very happy to provide it.

We had no issues with this b&b. All of the staff were very nice and happy to help. I can only think that some reviewers here have watched too many episodes of '4 in a bed' and try to find th smallest detail to complain about! Thank you all for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank redfraggle1981
Reviewed 23 June 2014

At first, the experience was brilliant. I booked through late rooms as 3 of us we're taking part in the Way of the Roses coast to coast 170 mile bike ride. The cost was £55 and I emailed the owner to make sure we could lock our bikes away. Everything was fantastic.

When we arrived we did receive a warm welcome from the host. Noting was said about costs and she directed us towards the bike lock up. We then went up to our room and although it was very tired looking, we didn't mind as had just cycled 90 miles. The nightmare began around 11 pm.

We all needed a good nights rest, but a group of customers decided to congregate outside our window and stay there until 2:30 am. We had to be up at 7 so this was not good.

We woke for breakfast, and we were told to come back in half hour as the chef was late. This was 7:30 and as we had to set off at 10, we couldn't afford to wait an hour so opted for weatherspoons instead.

When we returned to check out, the owner said the cost was £82 as another £27 had to be added for additional guest. I pointed out that at no point was we made aware of this, and on late rooms the cost was £55 for 3 people. We was not informed this upon arrival, and this wasn't mentioned during previous email communications. I pointed this out and the owner lost his temper and shouted at me in front of the hotel customers. He said how was he meant to cover late room fee's and challenged me to find a b&b for £17 per person. I refused to pay £82, and he again shouted. After an awkward silence, he took £55 and told me never to come again.

I urge anyone never to stay here. From the state of the b&b, the noise the plumbing made, the loudness of the bar and pub I can only assume the positive reviews are from the owner himself. I fully expect an immature response as he seems to be on the defence with every bit of criticism.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
59  Thank Nathan B
HorseRipon, Owner at White Horse Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

This review is a total fabrication of the truth.
At check-out time there was no mention of problems with noisy customers, late breakfast, the atmosphere was completely convivial, filling of water bottles, opening bike storage etc.
The problem only arose when the issue of the price was raised, I pointed out that the price of £55 was for double occupancy and that the price for 3 persons was £82.50, the customer refused to pay the extra, and since it was a late rooms problem this was accepted.
At no time were voices raised, the comment of 'do not stay here again' did not exist.
We have hundreds of cyclists who stay with each year without problem, perhaps 90 miles in one day was too much for this reviewer.