Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden

More Info
from US$55.02
More Info
3,443 results
All reviews deer park national trust world heritage site studley roger courtesy bus the follies porters lodge seven bridges water mill porter's lodge water features nt members henry viii beautiful place to visit well worth a visit gardens are beautiful guided tour
Reviewed 28 December 2015

We had a short trip here on Sunday morning but had time to walk around a large part of the gardens, but really would benefit from a full day. I hadn't realised this was a heritage site but the abbey was wonderful - I would definitely return. The only disappointment was the restaurant - very large and staff were very pleasant but they were not running a breakfast service and had run out of cafetierres at the very beginning of the day - so they do need to be able to cater for reasonable numbers of visitors - we were among the first and so it wasn't that busy.

Date of experience: July 2015
Reviewed 27 December 2015

Fountains Abbey is beautifully located and a perfect spot for strolling amid the ruins and along the river to the gardens. I visited on a spring morning and it was very quiet, so you could appreciate it fully. Like Rievaulx (see separate review), if you had to be isolated from the world, this would be a good spot to pick!

Very good cafe attached, worth making a coffee or lunch stop here - or bring a picnic - and you could spend a good half day, if not longer, exploring the abbey and grounds.

Definitely a must if you are in the area.

Date of experience: May 2015
Reviewed 27 December 2015 via mobile

Stunning views all round this Abbey, sadly it was very wet and boggy and some paths were closed.
But you can sertainly feel the vibe of the place as people have payed and worshiped the Lord God for hundreds of years, this spirit fill Abbey set you back in times of old and the explanation in the little monks lodge, of the history is well explaned.
We most sertainly be visiting again.
The staff are very friendly and helpful with a positive attitude going out there way to assist you with your adventure around the Fountians Abbey. Excellent thank you so much.

Date of experience: December 2015
Reviewed 26 December 2015

In our month-long trip to Western Europe, we saw all the top sites. From the Eiffel Tower to the ancient sites of Rome. And none of them were more beautiful than the Fountains Abbey grounds.

The first time I saw the ancient abbey down in the valley, I was completely taken. It was way better than I could have imagined. Personally, it was my favorite place of the entire trip. And it was in the top 5 for everyone in my family.

We went in June, and the weather was perfect. The grounds were green, and the temperature was just on the right side of cool. Had I known it would be as enjoyable as it was, I definitely would have stayed at least 2 days in the area. As it was, we just passed through for half a day.

I took my family, with me, my wife, and 3 daughters, aged 14 - 20. It was great for everyone. Fantastic photo opportunities. As in, truly postcard-worthy scenery and settings. We especially loved that the ruins and grounds are so accessible. You can go everywhere. Much better than just looking without being able to interact.

I don't know that it would be as fun with very young children. Although there is a lot of green space for running around, and lots to explore.

Be prepared to walk. A lot. The grounds, themselves, are flat and afford a very casual exploration. Getting there is a hike down, and getting back is a hike up. Worth it... but be prepared.

We also visited several of the other sites in the vicinity. There are a few other grounds and castles. In my experience, none of them compare to Fountains Abbey. They mostly tend to fall into the look, but don't touch, category.

Overall, I loved it. My family loved it. I would recommend it to anyone traveling in the area.

Date of experience: June 2015
1  Thank squark192
Reviewed 24 December 2015

A group of us went to see the wonderful lights and hear Christmas carols, but had to pay a full day price for one hour! I know its all for an extremely good cause, but not differentiating the price is a bit greedy.

Date of experience: December 2015