“Fantastic will be back”

Swinton Park Country Club and Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ripon
Reviewed 21 June 2011

My Husband and I spent a 2 day romantic break here, wow it was amazing, arrived in our room bottle of chilled champers and strawberries dipped in chocolate, the room was stunning, very very clean and beautiful furnishings, real luxury. The staff were really amazing and we wanted for nothing, we never had to ask for a thing as we had almost personal service , to say it was fantastic is a understatement. cant reccomend swinton park enough, cant wait to go back.
Mrs and Mrs Bickers.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

We enjoyed effortless and genuine hospitality from being greeted by name at the front door on arrival to saying goodbye at the end of an enjoyable and memorable stay. At first sight, the hotel appears more like a castle, standing in beautiful grounds and approached by a sweeping driveway. It is a magnificent old building, housing only 30 bedrooms and about as far from a 'formula' hotel as one could get! Our room ('Headingley') was spacious, clean and had huge sash windows overlooking the parkland. Our bed was insanely comfortable and HUGE! Dinner and breakfast were both excellent and the service suberb, even the dining room with its period Victorian features and delightful aspect deserves a mention. The staff helped to make our stay special, being friendly and informative as required. We wandered round the gardens, admired the resident birds of prey and generally wished that we had more time to explore a little further. Rarely do we return to a hotel, but we intend to make an exception with Swinton Park and perhaps bring the kids next time! Simply a top hotel.

Reviewed 7 June 2011

I recently attended a wedding reception with my wife at Swinton Park.
I was a designated driver and travelling back to Bradford later that evening however in all the excitement I decided to have a few drinks and then required a room so off my wife went to see if there were any rooms free that evening......
Obviously being very last minute and they did not have a room but instead of apologising like most hotels they got straight on the phone and after 20 mins of calling all the local hotels and b&b's they finally got us a room and is if that was not good enough the staff even drove my car down to the other hotel and offered a complementary mini bus to take us there at 11pm as there was no taxis running that eve, JUST WOW!!
Iv never been subject to such fantastic service so please visit this fantastic hotel and enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank simonhaddow
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Swinton Park is an absolutely stunning building in a beautiful location. This was our first visit so we thought we would sample a sunday lunch as a guide, as we were considering the hotel as an option for New Year.
On arrival we were shown into the lounge area by the male maitre de. A beautiful room with stunning paintings. We were offerred a drink, first issue the only sherry was Harveys Bristol Cream, sorry but an establishment of this standing should have similar to a Pedro Ximenez as many competitors do. No appetizers again always in other establishments.
We were brought the menu and wine list. A good selection of four choices for each course or so we thought.
However, when our selections were made we were advised that the there was no lamb left. This is something that should not happen on a lunch menu, did that mean that evening diners would also be disappointed?
The restaurant is a beautiful room but service was average. a selection of breads were served but no offer of further bread. Our glass of wine was on the table as we sat down not as we had requested with our main course. A jug of luke warm tap water on the table with no ice in sight. It would have been nice for a waiter to have visited our table to replenish our glass. The maitre de never enquired until we left whether we had enjoyed our meal.
Turning to the food soup and rissoto starters were very salty. My main course of halibut was lacking any potato but when I pointed this out to the waiter he did state "If you had asked for some you could have had some nice roasts" My point is they should be there in the first place. I would have liked a fish knife to eat it with. My wifes roast beef was delicious. Sweets sticky toffee pudding and yorkshire parkin tasty but two spoonfulls not accepatable.
This is the first time at Swinton Park the hotel may be beautiful but the reastaurant on this evidence is lagging behind other establishments that we visit, Yorke Arms, Northcote and Hipping Hall.
To finish our experience off we asked if we could have our coffee and tea in the lounge, it seemed with some reluctance we were allowed to sit in the lounge with guests who were having afternoon tea.
After twenty minutes and two further reminders our drinks arrived with the bill. A nice walk in the grounds followed where we discussed our opinions of the lunch. Would I return to sample a dinner or New Year on this evidence probably not.

1  Thank Birdie2boy
gmswintonpark, Manager at Swinton Park Country Club and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2011

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your review regarding your experience for Sunday lunch. After reading through your comments I understand your points if not quite correct in your suggest but one area you did lack to mention was the time my staff took in engaging you as a guest. We as a team work hard to offer the best possible service and in doing so offer a hospitality that lacks in other hotels in the way of engaging with guests, in a suitable manner. I believe on this occassion my team could had resolved your points of concern if given the opportunity. We will take on board your review and I do feel this is a one off that does not mirror image our service levels when you read the other reviews that gives Swinton Park 95%!

Reviewed 25 May 2011

Last week my wife took me to Swinton Park at Masham for my 50th Birthday, we have stayed here before and we had also been to the al fresco days out in the past. As we had stayed in the Masham room (which has wonderful views) my wife had us booked into the room below so that we would have the same view but with a different room. As per normal the room was wonderful and to round it off there was a birthday card and chocolates on the bedside table which was a very nice touch.
My wife thought that she would take a little picnic and we would go and picnic at one of the ponds in the grounds. The weather was lovely and we sat and watched the deer and swans in the field opposite.
In the evening we had a complementry Gin and tonic from the bar in the room, followed by a lovely meal in the bar.
After we went to bed there was some noise from another group of people staying in the hotel, but the next morning customer relations stepped in and resolved the issue perfectly.
To conclude my review I would just like to thank everyone at Swinton Park for such a lovely stay. We are very lucky as a family to travel the world and stay in lovely hotels but Swinton Park is well up there with the best and the staff are by far the best.
Paul & Janet Griffiths

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2011

we arrived at swinton park early evening to a very impressive drive up through the gates to the hotel where we were promptly met , our luggage taken out of the car and taken to reception and checked in , after a breif but full outline of the hotel we were shown to a beautiful room , the harrogate what can i say simply amazing , the detail and extra touches in the rooms made it feel special.dinner in samuels restaurant was impressive, food and especially the staff, we were served coffee in the drawing room in very comfortable suroundings. the only thing to slightly let this hotel down was the cooked breakfast not to the standard of the rest of our visit to swinton park . saying that though we shall be returning in october to get married.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We (15 of us) stayed at swinton park last weekend to celebrate the golden wedding of my in-laws. what a fantastic setting, the staff were all very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The food was beautifully presented and tasted fabulous. Any issues were dealt with promptly and professionally, Including a room change. We all enjoyed ourselves and would all love to return soon.

• Stayed: May 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripon
The Ripon Spa Hotel
The Royal Oak Hotel
#5 of 5 in Ripon
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa

Been to Swinton Park Country Club and Spa? Share your experiences!