“second time around”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ripon
Darlington, United Kingdom
“second time around”
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My partner and I visited the hotel in Februaury to celebrate his birthday lucky for me we went back for mine. It was just as good as the first time if not better, we had a spa for two lovely exclusive use of sauna and hydro pool. The food was fantastic at dinner, service unobtrusive.
Again all the small touches made it all a vey special occasion for me , well done again on a superb level of service , matches any five star I know

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Our 3rd visit in the last 12 months I think says it all. A wonderful relaxing 3 days away, with fine dining every night (Michelin standard). Great staff, friendly and attentive from the minute you arrive to leaving. We love this place and keep coming back. It was the first time we have stayed in Masham room which was beautiful (We love Bradford room too but it was booked already - lucky devils!). Have have stayed in other smaller and bigger rooms too, all are lovely and spacious. The walks in the grounds were as scrumptious as ever and the sun always seems to shine when we are there :-) Looking at all the food you may be about to eat in the walled garden is rather special too (& the venison - yum yum). I would recommend this place to anyone. Even if you are on a budget the last minute deals are very reasonable but I would advise you to take dinner too as the food is of a very high standard. There were a couple of minor issues which were resolved quickly and not worth a mention. We hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did. We look forward to returning at Christmas. Keep up the good work Swinton Park.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I returned for our fourth visit to the hotel with high expectations and was not disappointed. For me a great hotel needs four things, good location, nice rooms, fine dining and first-class service and as always Swinton Park hit the mark. As an example when we had finished our meal on the first night there was still half a bottle of wine left. The waiter insisted that he bring it up to our room and true to his word he arrived five minutes later with the wine, fresh glasses and water.

Our room (Constable Burton) was spacious, nicely furnished with a large bathroom equipped with both a bath and shower.

I highly recommend at least one meal in the restaurant to my mind the food and service are at least as good as the michelin starred restaurants we have eaten in.

A most enjoyable three night stay.

PS Ripon Cathedral which is nearby is well worth a visit

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2011

This was recommended by a friend - we weren't disappointed.

We booked it through bookings.com. On the day of our stay, Swinton Park rang us to ask if we wanted an evening meal.

Everything was ready for us when we arrived. We were shown to our rooms, helped by the young porter who happily carried our bags. The room was spotless and felt very grand. The bathroom was spacious (complete with Molton Brown - which my girlfriend appreciated massively). There were free spirits to help ourselves to and breakfast was brought to us, in bed (at no extra cost) bang on the time we asked. The food, overall, was excellent.

We enjoyed Swinton Park immensely. We like to try out as many different locations and hotels as possible. Thus, we rarely return to a place we have already visited. However, we will be making an exception, here. We will be returning to Swinton Park in the future, for a special occasion, we hope.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chuddlers
Windermere, FL
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Staying in this hotel is like walking into the pages of a British novel -- drawing rooms, fabulous grounds, croquet courts, wonderful suites. I absolutely loved it. The rest of our group stayed the first night at the Unicorn Hotel in Ripon (that's a whole other review!) that I wouldn't stay in if it was free. Swinton Park is a castle!! every room is decorated differently, and the accommodations are luxurious. We had a private dinner party the second night and it felt like we were dining in our own home....if we had a butler at home! If you are in the area, there is nowhere else to stay. I hope to go back again one day.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Have stayed here quite a few times and is one of our favourite hotels, last time we stayed I was ill on the journey to the hotel so had to return home.My husband phoned hotel to cancel about midday on the day of arrival and instead of losing the cost of the room for the night they said as long as we returned in the next 3 months we wouldn't lose any money, not even the deposit which I doubt would happen at many hotels .
This time we came with my parents to celebrate their golden wedding anniversary they stayed in the Wensleydale suite which was huge with lovely views over the lake, the sitting room has a large dining table which we used the following morning for breakfast. We stayed in the Scarbrough room which had a large bathroom with a bath on a raised floor so you can look out over the grounds, which was different! Only problem was that there was alot of noise from people talking on the corridor and stairs outside the room so probably wouldn't choose this room.
Luckily the weather was ok so sat outside for lunch and enjoyed the views over the lakes and grounds. It is well worth a walk upto at least the first lake (about 10/15 min walk) where you will pass the deer as well as the bird of prey avairy.
The food in the restaurant is excellent and is on a par with michelin starred restaurants and the restaurant itself is one of the nicest I've dined in has a real wow factor as has the drawing room which is a must for a pre-dinner drink- this was our only disappointment as when we were there the drawing room was closed for redecoration, if it had just been me and my husband it wouldn't have mattered but as this was a special occasion for my parents and I had being planning this for months as a surprise present , a big plus for this hotel was the drawing room as they would have loved it. So it spoiled it a bit and I really wish the hotel had informed me before hand so I had the option to stay a different night.
But overall it won't stop us returning.

Room Tip: Would recommend Wensleydale suite
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
North Lincolnshire, UK
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We've just returned from a night at Swinton Park for my birthday, staying in a stunning room and enjoying dinner in Samuel's Restaurant.
Everything about the trip - from booking right through to departure, was excellent. All staff were very friendly and welcoming. The room was stunning, with facilities that were second to none. Extra little touches such as a birthday card and chocolates (they had enquired about the reason for our stay when we booked) added to the magic of the experience. The grounds are delightful - from the sprawling walled garden full of produce for the restaurant and glorious flowers (available to buy from reception), to the lakes and deer park. We enjoyed a relaxing hour or so in the billiard room, which includes a full size snooker table as well as table tennis and lots of other options for adults and children! The food in the restaurant for dinner and breakfast was excellent.
I cannot praise the hotel and staff enough - although not cheap by any standards, it was well worth every penny for a truly relaxing luxury experience.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripon
The Old Deanery
#1 of 2 in Hawes
The Majestic Hotel
The Majestic Hotel
#18 of 30 in Harrogate

Been to Swinton Park? Share your experiences!