“Very special service”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Ripon
Queensland, Australia
“Very special service”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

A wonderful place, set in tranquil gardens - steeped in history.The service, attention to detail, the friendly staff, made for a fantastic stay. Nothing was too much trouble - they even remembered my birthday! Everyone was SO helpful. the staff really do go the extra mile to help you. The food at breakfast and dinner was an expererience I shall never forget - wonderful menu!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Peterborough
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The most wonderful, peaceful place to stay and relax, with very high standards of service in every respect. The views from our room were magnificent, with the deer herd wandering down to paddle and drink in the river right in front of us as we relaxed in the window seat. Swans were reflected in the water nearby and we could hear the birds of prey calling. Sheer heaven! The cookery school demonstration was great and is tempting me to return for some "hands on" tuition. So much to do and the beauty of North Yorkshire on the doorstep, I could not wish for more.

Room Tip: Rooms and suites overlooking the deer park are very spacious and have lovely views
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I have visited this hotel for a couple of years. I love the wonderful grounds and rooms. The restaurant is worth travelling a long way to visit- as a vegetarian I was delighted at the garden menu which gave me great choice and such a treat. My only complaint was the service was slow, less than enthusiastic and terribly forgetful. This would not put me off another visit, however, if you pay for first class service that is what you expect to get.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Delaynomore
gmswintonpark, General Manager at Swinton Park, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear Delaynomore, it was a pleasure reading your review and it was great to note that you enjoyed the Garden Produce Menu that is directly linked to our ethos of either using produce from our 4-acre walled garden that offers 60 varieties of fruit, vegetables and herbs or sourcing from our local suppliers. Working closely with the Sustainable Restaurant Association we have also been awarded 3 stars and 84% that shows our interest in supporting the need to scource produce correctly while maintaing a strong interest in the environment and the society within the local community. I appreciate your words of concern about the service within the restaurant which is not the normal service you have enjoyed (and by many more) before and has been acknowledged internally with additional training directed by myself. It was lovely to read that you will be returning, and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Swinton Park in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2012

This is an absolutely fabulous hotel, which is in fact a fascinating example of a grand English country house, complete with stunning grounds, including woodland and lakes. Most of the main rooms are in a lavish Victorian style, absolutely exquisite examples. The dining room is perhaps the most impressive of all, but the drawing room is equally beautiful. The food is excellent, mostly an unpretentious celebration of fresh, high-quality and locally produced English food, or food from the archipelago (Scottish, English, Irish and Welsh). This included a fabulous Victorian black pudding recipe with apple, which had apparently been discovered during a renovation of the kitchens. The service was very good too. The rooms are large, and hence suitable for families, with the grounds also being grate for kids (lots of space to run and play, climbing frames and an aviary to explore) and all the staff were very child friendly. (We were not staying with our children, but lots of other guests were, and we noted how accommodating the staff were). I particularly liked the little touches: Molton Brown toiletries, very high quality fixtures and furnishings (e.g. Lefroy Brooks taps) and possibly the softest and loveliest sheets I have ever slept in. Anyone interested in little bit of British political history will also appreciate that this house is owned by the Cunliffe-Lister family, which has included Philip Cunliffe-Lister, the first Earl of Swinton, who was a member of the Thatcher Cabinet in the 1980s. There are photos and portraits of prominent conservative political figures from the 20th century dotted throughout the property (all very far from my political persuasions, but interesting nonetheless). Last but not least, the location offers you the chance to explore some of the most beautiful countryside in England (and Europe?).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michael E
London
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We first stayed here in 2005.

I knew when I stayed here 2005 that one day I would have my civil ceremony / wedding here, and so I did in May 2010.

We booked out the whole place for 2 nights for all our guests.
Having the whole place on the Friday night was terrific as it gave our guests time to meet up before the ceremony.

I did not feel that Swinton Park cut corners in any way just because it was a wedding, we've all been to wedding where the food and service have been well below standard.
From my experience Swinton Park do not do this, this is why I have been back there a few times since my wedding.

There is so much to do at Swinton Park from lovely walks in the grounds, the daily bird show, clay pigeon shooting near by.
The food at our wedding was fantastic. The BBQ that we had on the Friday is one of the best BBQ's that I have ever had,

I don't feel that Swinton Park is any more expensive that other property's that I have been too that are similar, however the standards at Swinton Park are so much higher.

I can not recommend Swinton Park highly enough, be for a wedding or just a few nights break.

Thank you Swinton Park for making our day so special.
Peter Hunter + David Smith

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NorthLondonlad
Navan, Ireland
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The Hotel is lovely and the restaurant food is excellent. The service around it however is a week to the point I eventually simply stopped asking for coffee and condiments as the delay took the good out of them. After you have had your meal and before you go to bed there is a serious weak point in the facility as the bar is small and unpleasant and the day room lacks any atmosphere so a cosy drink and a quiet chat are not possible

The restaurant is twee so although it’s not promoted as exclusive or posh do expect to wear a shirt with a collar & sleeves and avoid Jeans. My advice, turn up for the food but stay in one of the local B&Bs or guest houses so you can enjoy a coffer or beer and chat after dinner

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ArmouredGideon
gmswintonpark, General Manager at Swinton Park, responded to this review, 14 April 2012
Thank you ArmouredGideon (interesting name!) for your review and it was great to read that you throught the restaurant food was excellent and the hotel was lovely along with its superb selection of bedrooms (with complimentary Gin & Whisky decanters) overlooking our parklands with over 150 grazing fallow deer sometimes yards away from the house and swans swimming on our lakes. This must be why we are the finalists out of 392 applications for the VisitEngland Awards of Excellence 2012 in the category of 'Small Hotel of the Year'! The Bar and Drawing Room are lovely rooms with a very large fire place that is lit most of the year that entices you to sit and relax while getting cosy on our large sofas and for some guests the relaxation has over-taken them as I have seen guests dose off in the natural sunlight that pours in from the three very large windows. To conclude the dress code in the restaurant, you can wear jeans but not torn or faded and it is preferred that you wear a shirt and not a t-shirt or sports top or alternatively you can dine in the bar and wear casual clothes if you wish to have a more relaxed evening - we cater for all and that's why we were awarded 'Family Hotel of the Year' in 2011 by the Good Hotel Guide. I feel that most men would agree with this dress code as a minimum request is acceptable when dining in a fine dining restaurant and not a pub, and if you wish to dress up, it just makes it all the more fun as an experience that you might even feel like a Lord and Lady dining in your own beautiful home with 20,000 acres of breathing space!
Conwy
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed for one night in the Wensleydale suite. The room was incredible, very spacious and the bed is the comfiest we've ever slept in. I never have a good nights sleep when away due to the how awful pillows normally are, but this wasn't the case at Swinton!

The staff are welcoming and nothing is too much trouble and as can be seen from the pictures, the setting is stunning. We made ue of the private spa area which was a lovely way to relax after travelling such a long distance and also took a stroll around the ample grounds.

The only problem we had was a lack of choice for specific dietary requirements on the dinner menu. My other half fully enjoyed his meal, but I found mine uninspiring and not particularly enjoyable. That said, the dessert was lovely and again, the service was second to none. We would definitely return as Swinton offers service that is quite frankly unmatched anywhere.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aldanti
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripon
The Old Deanery
The Majestic Hotel
The Majestic Hotel
#18 of 30 in Harrogate
Best Western Walworth Castle Hotel

Been to Swinton Park? Share your experiences!