“Outstanding”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Ripon
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

We have stayed at Swinton Park several times and it never fails to deliver. It really is outstanding. Superb imposing building in beautiful parklands. Everything is quite lovely - food and staff in particular.

Swinton Park sets the standard other hotels can only aspire to.

Room Tip: Facing the parkland
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

This is our third trip to Swinton Park for afternoon tea, and an orchid day.We went on the 3rd of June to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary.The day was glorious with sunshine all the way. We started of by once again going around the wonderful walled garden, though it did get very hot in there. Then visited the birds of prey, followed by the most magical and soothing walk around the Spring Garden, the rhododendrons and azaleas plus bluebells were out of this world with their glorious colours, what a haven of peace it was to walk through there and forget this mad world with all it's troubles. We then went into the hotel for our afternoon tea, when it arrives on the cake stand it really does'nt look as if it will fill you, but oh my by the time you have finished you are FULL. From the sandwiches, to the most delightfuland delicate pastries I have ever tasted. The scones, oh the scones with clotted cream,bliss on the tongue, how I wish I could make scones like that!! Sitting out in the sun after our tea, watching the deer wandering around, oh my goodness I wanted to stay forever. I am pleased to say we are going to stay over in July for my birthday. The staff are always so pleasant,friendly, and welcoming, you really don't feel like a stranger visiting at all. Swinton Park I LOVE YOU>

Room Tip: Will comment on that after our stay in July.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daphne H
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

We husband and I and family stayed at Swinton Park for my cousins wedding in March 2013. As we pulled up to the castle we knew we were in for a treat!

The building was gorgeous and being big 'Downton Abbey' fans my sisters and I felt like we were in that world. The customer service was exceptional from our arrival, to the champagne in the drawing room, to the dinner, to breakfast, to our checkout.

Our room was gorgeous with a very comfortable bed. The complimentary gin and whiskey for a night cap in the rooms was a lovely touch, and the Molton Brown soaps in the bathroom was delightful.

The staff were all amazing. My husband pointed out that every staff we passed moved to the side with a smile to let us by, or went out of their way to hold a door open for us. Top notch service!

My family and I toured the beautiful grounds and took it all in.

Would definitely recommend this beautiful castle. If we didn't live so far away we would be back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

Stayed at Swinton Park mostly because of the highly rated restaurant for my girlfriends birthday treat.

the building and grounds are impressive, however its a bit confusing as to what to do if you arrive behind another car which was attended to by the porter immediately and parked by the staff. We weren't greeted by anyone and wandered into the foyer with our luggage, whilst others had porters rushing around doing everything for them. We checked in and I then had to go back out and park the car myself. The car park isn't far away so it wasnt a massive chore and made the valet service seem quite pointless.

Whilst i was doing this other couples arrived and were checking in - we were waiting in the foyer with our bags for another porter to come and show us to our room, but the couples checking in were seen to before us by the returning porters without any comment from the check in staff - meaning we stood around for 10 mins with our luggage whilst the next porter was available - as I am an impatient person I wish they would have just told us where the room was and we would have walked up ourselves.

The room was fine - we were in a Knights room, Ripon and it was clean and finished to a decent standard.

We had booked exclusive use of the spa for an hour which was a nice touch - although this time was reduced slightly as it took 15 minutes to check in and get to our room! The spa is small - just a sauna and hot tub but it was nice to just have it to oursleves.

After the spa we looked for somewhere to sit and have a drink - it was a glorious day and all the tables outside were taken which was a shame, the drawing room was full too so we were stumped as to what we were actually supposed to do and how we can enjoy the beautiful building a surroundings. we walked a round for a bit and eventually found a table in the sun free and enjoyed a drink in the sun.

At dinner we went for the tasting menu and wine paring - the dining room like the rest of the building was once again lovely. The food was of a very high standard and 2 dishes in particular made me saw "Wow"! The wine pairings weren't quite as impressive, but still enjoyable. We weren't too impressed by the sommelier, he mumbled something indecipherable about the wine and wandered off. He did ask us afterwards which wines we enjoyed, which was nice but also pretty much all we understood from him all night!

I had a lovely nights sleep before breakfast - which again consisted of quality ingredients and a nice range of options.

Throughout our stay the service we received was fantastic bar a couple of small issue here and there which may well be unique to just our experience.

the grounds are lovely and the walled garden where they grow most of the vegetables and produce they use is an interesting walk for any budding gardeners.

There is also a small falconry centre (no falcon's though! - owls and hawks) - which again is an interesting addition!

Overall we really enjoyed our stay, would recommend to others and would come again - there were just a few niggles that prevented it from being a perfect stay.

Edmonds, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

In May, I took BritRail up to Masham to stay at Swinton Park, the stunning luxury castle hotel. Upon entering the estate grounds, every fantasy I have had about the beautiful English countryside and castles came true! I was awed by the castle and the grounds.

The hotel staff were absolutely lovely and made me feel at home. My spacious room was grand with a charming fireplace, comfy leather settee, writing desk, vanity and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The bathroom was elegant and well-appointed as well.

I simply wandered about the castle taking in the regal rooms, the historical portrait paintings and just admired the exquisite beauty of the architecture and decor.

The menu at the hotel is amazing, as most of the ingredients are sourced from the estate's large, walled gardens and local, sustainable meats and cheeses as well. I ate all of my meals at the Swinton with anticipation and was richly rewarded with fabulous dishes.

the estate encompasses about 20,000 acres, so I went exploring on the grounds adjacent to the castle. It truly was paradise on Earth with rolling green pastures, bird song, a winding river, flowers blooming everywhere and sheep grazing in the fields. with so much space and gorgeous scenery, I felt deeply peaceful.

I also participated in meeting the Birds of Prey at the estate's aviary. Sophie, Swinton Park's falconer introduced me to all of the owls and hawks at the aviary and then set me up with a glove and had me feed Ellie, their large European Eagle Owl and Wensley, their Barn Owl. I was entranced by this magnificent experience!

There is so much more to Swinton Park and a myriad of activities to choose from and a cookery school as well. I will be returning to what felt like my own personal haven in a place that exists separate from time...

Room Tip: Try a room that overlooks the back of the estate for incredible views.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelWriterPE
South shields
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

My husband received two afternoon tea treats for his birthday,and one was for Swinton Park! First sight of this elegant hotel was very splendid,as was our welcome! We had arrived early so that we could explore the gardens, and what a joy it was! It was a warm and sunny day(!!!!!!) so we saw it at its very best,particularly the Spring Garden.We were lucky enough to meet two barn owlets at the falconry centre and got to stroke them! At the appointed time we went for our champagne tea,which was served in a very elegant room,by charming and attentive staff.We thought our sandwiches,were a little ordinary compared with other establishments,egg mayonnaise,cream cheese and rocket ,and cream cheese and smoked salmon,but delicious nonetheless.Cakes ,and scones were lovely.We were enjoying the experience so much until someone at the tables outside lit up a VERY smelly cigar,and the smoke drifted into the room through the open french doors.We mentioned how unpleasant this was to the staff,but nothing was done about it.What a pity,as it rather coloured our opinion of what had been,up till then a very enjoyable experience.

2 Thank MargaretJ98
Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

We love this place and visit at least once a year. If I had reviewed this previously it would have been an excellent full marks but...it needs updating a bit now - old TVs and a shower that was not really up to the job.

Great food still a great place with excellent staff. We will always come back but I'd like to see a few updates without it losing its charm.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripon
The Old Deanery
The Ripon Spa Hotel
#4 of 5 in Ripon
The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa
BEST WESTERN Walworth Castle Hotel

Been to Swinton Park? Share your experiences!