“Perfect!”

Swinton Park Country Club and Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ripon
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This is our 5th presentation dinner after a corporate golf day, but our first time at Swinton Park. What a fantastic experience! The service was impeccable, the food was delicious and the accomodation amazing. Laura Walker did a fabulous job of organising everything to make it a memorable occasion for all our guests. Thanks to all the staff involved and hope to see you again next year.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake and deer park.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was my second stay at this hotel a year on from the first. Many of the staff were the same and almost all were extremely friendly and helpful.
Once again though the reception staff were the exception. This is a pity as the first unsmiling contact doesn't fill you with hope for the rest of the stay but stick with it because the others are great.
This time I asked for a room facing the deer park because the last room I had (Scarborough) I found noisy. I originally chose Harrogate and this indeed is a very pretty room. Sadly though the wifi would not work here so I was moved to the York Suite where it worked perfectly. This room was not quite as attractive as Harrogate but it did have a separate lounge which made the stay very comfortable and I slept really well because it was very quiet.
The first night I had dinner in the main restaurant. There were three courses, canapes and an amuse bouche . The meal itself was delicious and very well served but suffered from my usual complaint of having vegetables as a decorative garnish rather than a proper part of the meal.
The second night I ordered a mushroom risotto from room service which was delicious and was served piping hot, no mean feat from kitchen to room.
A selection of freshly cooked hot dishes are offered on the breakfast menu and are served at the table. The lemon curd is excellent.
The hotel has a huge walled garden and the reception rooms were full of roses and peonies from that. In the reception area there were boxes of flowers from the garden for sale at £5 per box. I mentioned to one of the reception staff (Emily) that it would have been nice to have fresh flowers in the rooms instead of the rather tired dried arrangments and she said that she would mention it but sadly the suggestion was not acted upon while I was there for my three night stay.
This visit I had a pleasant walk around the lakes and the lily pond on well signed paths.
The situation of the hotel and the grounds are hard to beat if you want a peaceful, country location.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel, a treat from our children, what a wonderful treat it was ! We could not fault it at all, the staff were so friendly and helpful, and all the extra little treats were special. The food in the restaurant was excellent. We had a fabulous time and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel, would love to visit again.

Room Tip: We stayed in Constable Burton, which had a lovely large bathroom
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara16244
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This place is stunning. It is a hidden gem set in the glorious Yorkshire dales.

I have stayed at this hotel previously on business and had even treated my in-laws to two nights DBB in a suite for their 40 years wedding anniversary. However had neglected to bring my wife here until now.

My previous experiences have all been positive and the feedback from my in-laws was that this place was amazing. So for my silver anniversary I treated my wife and myself to a stay. We booked in on the dinner, bed and breakfast package staying in a Dukes room. When booking I was given the choice of rooms and because I could not decide (all the rooms are individually decorated and each have their own unique style) the hotel receptionist recommended the Bradford room.

I am so pleased with the recommendation. This is a corner room on the top floor over looking the deer park and woods. The room was generous and splendidly appointed and the bathroom sumptuous. The Egyptian bed linen and feather pillows were divine. The only small negative related to the TV. The reception on the TV was not pin sharp and for the distance it was from the bed was on the small size. That said, everything else about the room was great.

We spent a couple of hours walking around the grounds / estate which is parkland i.e. fields, woods and lakes. There were herds of deer and sheep in the various fields and well marked paths through the woods and around the ponds and lakes. Wild birds seen on the lake were mallard, tufted duck, coot, moorhen and greylag geese.

I am not able to comment on the tastiness of the food I lost recently the ability to smell or taste and can only comment on texture and share secondhand what my wife has said about the food. Texture wise the food was perfect. We were on a three course meal deal and had 4 extra courses (if you include the home made bread as one) compliments of the chef. My wife thought the food was fantastic. This is fine dining, don't expect gut busting portions, just beautifully prepared and presented food.

Breakfast was also very very good.

Onto the staff, they were all very professional, attentive and welcoming. They added to the special ambience of the place and enabled us to have a perfect stay.

Room Tip: For views, ask for the rooms overlooking the deer park and woods.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TubbyChang
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I booked this for my wife and I for our wedding anniversary. Hotel, service and staff first class. There are not many hotels come up to this standard. Restaurant serves wonderful food. Will definitely be returning for a longer stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew F
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Grabbing the chance to lend our children and dog to various friends we headed off to Swinton Park for the New Lights Art Exhibition. Deciding we wanted to relax we booked a night, closed up shop early and headed off. Everything was perfection from start to finish, a great show, meeting some really lovely people and being treated so well by all the staff.
The food was devine too, the grounds are a relaxed affair, not overly manicured and with fallow deer all over the fields near the hotel. The bird of prey centre was impressive too!
Breakfast was just as good as dinner, helped by double doses of the wake-up shots of berries and yoghurt. A brief stroll through the grounds and back to work we headed, relaxed and spoilt. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a slice of luxury without the bling and fuss that so often come hand in hand.

Room Tip: We had Ripon a small room with a perfect view, the turret would be a challenge for those with mobili...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed here on a road trip to Edinburgh. I chose it because it was dog friendly and looked like it offered much in terms of country walks and peaceful surrounds. I've stayed in many luxurious hotels around the world but there is something very special about this country estate. The grounds and walks on the estate are amazing, the food served in the restaurant is either grown on the estate or locally sourced. The chef , Simon , was wonderful in accommodating dietary requirements for my daughter. Our room which was a junior suite was so comfortable and even a dog bed and bowls put out for our dog. Other nice touches were water in the room and gin and whiskey with mixers. The staff were friendly and helpful. What's more to want? We'd like to come back and try the cookery school and other activities offered. It would be easy to have a luxury short break here and use the spa facilities as well. Would really recommend it overseas visitors looking for a luxury on a magnificent English estate.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank EssCee14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripon
The Ripon Spa Hotel
The Royal Oak Hotel
#5 of 5 in Ripon
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa

Been to Swinton Park Country Club and Spa? Share your experiences!