“Easter Night in the Turret Suite”

Swinton Park Country Club and Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ripon
london
“Easter Night in the Turret Suite”
Reviewed 23 April 2010

Returned to sample the delights of the wonderful room on 3 floors.

We really enjoyed our night at Easter - it is a pity we did not have the time to stay longer.

The champagne, chocolates and Jo Malone in the room helped to ease our stay as did the the quirky placement of the toilet mat on the toilet seat.

We could each have chosen any item from the extensive dinner menu but chose not to pay the (now) additional charge for cheese.

The minus for our stay was that , since our last visit, the light carpet in the lounge area of our suite was heavily stained in places.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2010

I received a very warm welcome from the moment I stepped inside this beautiful hotel, set in the most wonderful grounds. In fact you are made to feel like a houseguest.

Swinton Park really couldn't be faulted and do take in the Chef's Table in the Cookery School (held twice a month) as this made for an excellent and entertaining evening with friends.

My only complaint --- my stay wasn't long enough!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2010

We had a few days here at the beginning of March, Wed-Friday I was on a cookery course,and then my husband booked a couple of extra nights, purely for relaxation. I'm so glad he did, as I was able to appreciate all the hotel had to offer.

From the moment we arrived all the staff we met were friendly and welcoming, and this rfemained the case however early in the morning or late at night it was. They all seemed to enjoy working there (who wouldn't)

Our room was wonderful and seeing the deer emerging an a clear frosty morning was a magical start to the day. The bathroom was huge and warm and comfortable, all things I look for in a bathroom.

The breakfasts were lovely and the best eggs benedict I've ever had.

As my heading says, staying herehas definitely made me want to keep coming back, hope to do so before too long.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Harrogate
Reviewed 8 March 2010

This was our second stay and we had previously enjoyed afternoon tea and the Garden Lunch. Given the excellence of previous visits, we were keen to return and were certainly not disappointed. This is a family owned and run estate retaining all of the trappings of a historic country house. The public rooms are sumptious and the walls lined with interesting family portraits. Upstairs there are photographs of both the family and building's history. This is all set in vast grounds open for guests' use.
On our first visit we stayed in the Richmond Suite and on this return it was the Burton Agnes Earl's Room. Each room can be specifically reserved at booking and is themed to local features. Sheer luxury is the only description.
Although we have not yet had dinner in Samuel's Restaurant, we have enjoyed lunch, afternoon tea and bar meals. All were of excellent quality and precisely what was needed at the time. The service was quiet, unobtrusive but very friendly and efficient throughout the hotel. When passing staff in the corridors, they invariably acknowledged with a cheerful hello.
Would we go again? Of course - it is just a matter of when!

Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed 3 March 2010

We stayed for one night with a 'winter warmer' package of dinner, bed and breakfast for 2 (£196). All rooms can be browsed by photo and the one I wanted wasn't available but when I described what I wanted by phone the Headingly was recommended. It was a large airy room with 2 windows overlooking the grounds at the front. Room was well furnished, neither fussy nor plain - the kind of decor that you can relax in. There were complementary decanters of gin and whisky with one can of ginger ale and one of tonic (tip:bring your own mixers unless you like very strong or neat gins...). Full size Molton Brown toiletries in the bathroom provoked a lengthy facebook debate about whether to take them home or not (we didn't). A Molton Brown gift was left on the turned down bed however - which was a nice touch. Dinner was truly excellent, with lovely canapes and amuse bouches which we loved. A slightly stilted atmosphere in the dining room was more about the punters being overwhelmed, than the atmosphere created by the staff, I think. They were all charming. We played snooker (badly) in the well eqiupped games room afterwards. On the down side, we didn't sleep so well due to a sagging mattress. The treatment rooms opposite ours played chill out music during the day which we could hear. I completed the feedback form to this effect and have just received a letter describing exactly what they are going to do about this, and offering me an upgrade next time I book. Now that's what I call acting on feedback to improve the service: I'm impressed. The grounds are lovely and peaceful, with interest and signposted walks. We will go back. You can live the Edwardian country house weekend fantasy out here (maybe that's just me!) What we liked the most was the authentic feel - it's a far cry from the corporate norm. It was fun. Lots more to say about activities on offer there but you can see that on their website. A real gem.

cheshire
Reviewed 22 February 2010

Went and stayed at this hotel for my partners birthday and valentines. Stayed in the Howarth Room absolutely wonderful. Had an hours free spa, free welcome drinks (whisky and gin), tea, coffee and biscuits.

Staff friendly and welcoming.

Should be a five star in my opinion and I have stayed in some nice places!!!!

If you don't go your missing out. Very romantic reminds me of Chatsworth House.

Had a most wonderful weekend and will definitely be going back.

Billericay, Essex
Reviewed 21 February 2010

This was the fourth time that we have stayed at this property and it
just seems to get better and better! This time we brought our Daughter's
Chihuahua with us. We 'phoned the hotel first and were told that they welcomed
dogs and as ours was so small, "it would not be a problem"!
We checked in and were shown to our suite which was beautiful. Our dog had been catered for perfectly, with her own basket, rug and food and drink bowls!
The staff called to check that all was well. We then walked the grounds, as usual,
and saw many deer in the wooded areas.
As the evening approached, it was time for dinner. First a large G&T in the bar and
a superb dinner in the main dinining room. Dinner was First Class with a great choice from the menue. There is also a vast selection of wines from the list, from the reasonably priced house wines upwards! A cognac and coffee in the lounge and then to bed.
Breakfast is a real treat with most of the meats sourced locally.
Later in the day we went over to the Cookery School where we were shown how to prepare a selection of deserts, most of which we ate during the "demo" or took with
us!!!
There is so much to do here, and the location is second to none!
The staff are always friendly and chatty and we've always found the hotel very good value
for money. The hotel manager, Mr McPherson always seems to be around so I guess
that he must live "above the shop"!!!!
All in all, I would recomend this hotel to all age groups as they are "children friendly"
and put up with "fussy old people" (64) like me!!!!!!
Terry & Tina Rothery Billericay, Essex

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripon
The Old Deanery
#1 of 2 in Hawes
The Majestic Hotel
The Majestic Hotel
#18 of 30 in Harrogate

Been to Swinton Park Country Club and Spa? Share your experiences!