“Fantastic!”

Swinton Park Country Club and Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ripon
Reviewed 20 August 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Swinton on a special package - £210 for one night accomodation including dinner and breakfast. The hotel is lovely and you really do feel like you are in a castle. The dinner was also delicious. The service was attentive without being over bearing. We would definitely come back to this hotel if we ever visited the area again.

3  Thank PerthRotti
There are newer reviews for Swinton Park Country Club and Spa

Reviewed 18 August 2007

We booked this hotel at the last minute for a one night stay via Priceline. When we arrived the company had not passed on our details to the hotel but they had rooms free and upgraded us to a wonderful room with a huge bed and a large bathroom.

The attendant who showed us to our room was most informative. There were lovely touches such as a small amount of gin and whisky in the room. Also tea and real coffee. Excellent bath products and dressing gowns were provided.

My husband and I decided to have dinner in the hotel. Although it took a while for us to be attended to (with no drinks immediately being offered as is usual), when we did give our order the food that arrived was small in portion but delicious. By the time we had finished all courses plus the pre starter starter and the pre dessert dessert that arrived as extras, we were full.

The following morning breakfast was quickly served and plentiful and the staff were very helpful. As was mentioned before in other reviews a lot of the staff were not English but we found them to be very polite, helpful and hard working.

We completed our stay with a walk around the beautiful grounds. It was very welcome after a large breakfast. There are plenty of activities to keep you occupied at this hotel. It was a pity that we only had a one night stay.

I would definitely recommend it to others who are looking for a peaceful, pampering getaway. We hope to be back another time.

5  Thank Sharon C
Reviewed 7 August 2007

We husband and I have just returned from a night at Swinton Park to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and could not have chosen a better venue for a romantic and relaxing stay. Everything about this hotel is lovely and of the highest standard.

The grounds of the hotel are huge and the surroundings breathtaking, with lakes, sheep and deer. The hotel itself resembles a National Trust stately home. Our room was beautiful and overlooked the grounds of the hotel. We made full use of the spa and and also indulged in a beauty treatment which was very nice. We chose not to eat in the restaurant as it was quite formal but had a very tasty meal in the bar.

Some reviews have referred to unfriendly staff. We found the staff to be very professional and courteous, not over the top friendly but certainly not rude or off.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to get away from it all and feel pampered and special. While not cheap this hotel is unique and worth every penny.

2  Thank Goldcat
Reviewed 3 August 2007

I was lucky enough to have a night here with work, it is even better than it looks. A really impressive entrance, but I arrived in the pouring rain and there was no one on hand to help so I was drenched by the time I had parked the car and carried my bag back up to the entrance.

Staff were helpful but not overly friendly.

The room was great the Fountains Abbey, lovely view, not many lights though. Great bathroom and amenities. Lovely touches like real tea and coffee, biscuits and complimentary drinks. Apart from a dead plant and a mini fridge that didn’t work I have no complaints about the room. Make sure you check out the website which gives details of all the different rooms available.

Like other guest comments, the food in the restaurants is nice but not amazing and very small portions. The service is slow with many non English speaking staff and really strange that they do not serve any salad or vegetables with dinner?

Food and drink are expensive

Unfortunately I had to leave before breakfast so I can’t comment 0n that and didn’t have time to try the spa.

My colleagues tried the cookery school and thoroughly enjoyed it but it was definitely for more experienced cooks.

It is expensive and not perfect but it definitely has the WOW factor, I have already recommended it to friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank _cornishpixie7_mk
Reviewed 24 July 2007

My wife and I spent four nights at Swinton Park and could not fault a thing. I spent my time at Rosemary Shrager's cookery school and my wife spent her time relaxing, being pampered and then eating the food we'd cooked during the day.
The bedroom was huge, well furnished and beautifully proportioned. The bathroom equally so.
Downstairs the public rooms were opulent without being over pretentious and all the staff we encountered throughout our stay were delightful.
On one evening our two young children joined us for the night and they were treated with the same level of courtesy and respect.
Swinton park is one of the few places I'd really look forward to returning to.

• Stayed: November 2006
2  Thank Augill
Reviewed 16 July 2007

My (now) husband and I married at Swinton Park at the end of May and we had an absolutely amazing day! The place was as beautiful as ever, the staff were outstanding and couldnt do enough for us. We hired the hotel exclusively which meant we and our guests had the entire place to ourselves. There were a few tiny hitches along the way but nothing you wouldnt expect when planning a wedding. Swinton Park were always great at rectifying these immediately.

All in all, I cant praise the place enough, our guests still rave about it and we have some absolutely beautiful photos to remember it by. I would recommend his place to anyone.

Just to add, we also stayed here in May 06 and the hotel and the service was as outstanding then.

• Stayed: May 2007
5  Thank roofus77
Reviewed 10 July 2007

I booked this hotel for our 10th wedding anniverary, and it was perfect in every way. I booked the Harewood Suite which was fantastic, and as a little extra I also purchased a celebration package, which consisted of Champagne on ice in our room upon arrival and loads of lovely Jo Malone bath products. This was all waiting for us when we checked in. The complementry Gin and Whiskey were nice touches too.

I'd read some reviews on this site that the staff we miserable and unhelpful, I didn't find this at all. All staff from House-keeping to Reception to Bar and Waitress staff, they just could do enough for us. I think they just consentrate very hard to get even the smallest of things just right.

The hotel and the grounds were fanatstic. A great walk around the lakes and gardens.

We'd booked a meal in the restaurant for the night of our stay and the food was devine, and the service was great. It was the perfect way for us to spend our anniversary.

Although expensive, I can't wait to go again, it was well worth the money.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Spencer19
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripon
The Old Deanery
#1 of 1 in Follifoot
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa

Been to Swinton Park Country Club and Spa? Share your experiences!