“unbelievably good”

Swinton Park Country Club and Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ripon
Reviewed 5 March 2011

I booked the 2 day gourmet break for myself and my Mother as a special treat for both of our birthdays. It looked amazing on the website and after reading the reviews we were both very excited. I have to say it lived up to all expectations, the staff were excellent. The food superb, the surroundings beautiful. Although it wasn't cheap I do feel we actually got very good value for money with all the activities arranged, I would also look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 March 2011

Stayed here on the 2nd March and have done a separate review for the restaurant. This property has red stars and you can see why, service is so good, its real country house living. The property is enormous it took a couple of goes to find the room, oak panelling and beautiful carvings. The room had some lovely touches, cushion pad with the needlework kit, free gin and tonic or whisky and ginger, fresh cafatiere coffee. small gripes are is that it doesn't have an internet connection so if you want to work you need to be in one of the wi-fi public areas, and the fan in the bathroom in my room was noisy. But where the property really shines is in the service, nothing too much trouble, absolutely faultless. Have resolved to come back in leisure mode, there is so much to do - all listed out in the guest folder over about 10 pages!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 February 2011

After a previous visit when we had a problem with the Turret Suite we were given a complimentary night in the York Suite by the General Manager Mr Peter Llewellyn who was very understanding and showed excellent customer relationship skills. Considering it was Valentines w/e it was very good of him to allow us to stay at that time when i am sure he could have sold the room, in my opinion that is good customer service and was great for us as it was our anniversary as well. I have to say that this time our expectations were more than met and the York Suite was exceptional and the nice note of welcome from Mr Llewellyn was well recieved. The food is of an extremely high standard with very good service. My wife had a tapas platter in the Bar, this was exceptional value and the presentation was superb, it would have fed 2-3 people.There was a lady playing piano in the lounge in the Saturday evening which made for a lovely atmosphere sitting in front of a roaring log fire in grand surroundings. Of course one of the highlights is the grounds with the deer roaming, swans in the river and the Bird of Prey centre. You can book the spa for 1hr which gives you exclusive access to the hot tub, sauna and rest area, the only negative about this is there is a music system but it is very poor, perhaps for a place of this standing they could upgrade it. There are various other things to do including cookery lessons, perhaps some day we may have the opportunity of trying these out . One thing you should do in Masham is visit the Black Sheep Brewery Visitor Centre, it is relaxing sitting having a good pint of beer straight from the brewery, it does taste better. Overall it is a nice experience getting a taste of the way the nobility lived and although it does not come cheap well worth it for a special occassion.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2011

Magnificent building and breathtaking interiors.
Very relaxed atmosphere with attentive friendly staff. Not at all stuffy or formal but welcoming and relaxed.
Breakfast was delicious!
We stayed at a reduced price which was a last minute birthday treat. One night stay-we left feeling very relaxed and recharged
Food slightly overpriced

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I stayed here with my girlfriend on a package that included dinner, bed and breakfast for us both, and the game cookery course for me the next day. It is a beautiful hotel with picturesque grounds and the most helpful,attentive staff I have ever met. Although I am only 21yrs old the staff made us feel so welcome and we loved every minute of it. The meal was the best I have ever eaten...and I am a chef so I am experienced in what is good and what isn't! The cookery course was fantastic and I will definetely return in the future. I would definetely recommend anyone to stay there.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2011

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon having been before. It is grand and elegant yet informal and homely.

The standards at this hotel are top class. The location and the grounds are idyllic, the rooms are luxurious and the facilities are fantastic but what makes this hotel stand out for me is the quality of the food and drink - the chef deserves a Michelin star. The staff are so friendly, polite and courteous but not snobby.

It is one of the most relaxing places I have been. A great place to unwind yet loads to do if you want , a walk around the grounds is a must and we spent one day in York.

We will be going back (I hope)

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2011

We've just returned from a 2 night stay and loved it. The grounds are expansive and the setting is superb. There is beautiful N Yorkshire countryside all around and the highlight of the sightseeing for us was the drive along the narrow road from Reeth to Askrigg.

We took our dog and stayed in the Bedale room and despite it being in the smallest category it was perfectly adequate with a large bathroom and with a last minute special offer price of £219 for 2 nights it represented excellent value. The charge for the dog was an additional £25 per night which is a bit steep but she's worth it! Dinner on both nights was very good with friendly and attentive service. The deal we were on provided a perfectly acceptable complimentary bottle of house wine on one evening.

If you're looking to recharge your batteries in a lovely hotel in a great location you won't go far wrong at Swinton Park. We will be back.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripon
The Old Deanery
#1 of 1 in Follifoot
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
The Coniston Hotel Country Estate & Spa

Been to Swinton Park Country Club and Spa? Share your experiences!