The Old Deanery
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$131
US$128
The Unicorn(Ripon)(Great Value!)
US$54
  • Restaurant
US$151
US$431
TripAdvisor
The BW Crown Hotel(Boroughbridge)(Great Value!)
US$136
US$121
US$139
US$139
US$132
The New Inn(Harrogate)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsripon cathedralold buildingrear gardenwooden shuttersattic roomfour postersloping floorsevents managerbeautiful cathedralwedding venueslipper bathwedding receptionyorkshire breakfastamazing weddinggorgeous placeroll top bathperfect setting
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here for one night. Wonderful position right beside Ripon Cathedral. We were greeted in a very friendly manner, escorted to our first floor room overlooking the garden and informed that we could take drinks in the garden (it was a beautiful sunny afternoon). Our room was a good size with lots of amenities - hot drinks/biscuits, iron/ironing board and Molton Brown toiletries. All the staff were very friendly. A good car park and lots of choice of restaurants and pubs within walking distance make this hotel very convenient for any visit to Ripon. A very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 6 overlooking the garden. A good size room, smallish bathroom (shower only) but a very good shower nonetheless. We did hear the clock chiming during the night but we did leave our window open as it was a warm night.
Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
LindaRipon, Manager at The Old Deanery, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

It's great to hear you took advantage of our huge back garden; on a summers evening it is simply beautiful and a drink next to our weeping willows cannot be beaten! Thank you for such a kind review and I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were at the Old Deanery this past weekend for a friend's wedding. The staff was extremely warm and accommodating, and the hotel was clean, comfortable and the rooms are lovely.

The wedding reception was set up with the help of the hotel staff and the garden served as a beautiful setting for drinks and canapés as well as tea after dinner. The food was delicious and there was something for everyone to enjoy.

I would highly recommend this hotel for romantic getaways, weekend trips to Ripon and especially as a wedding venue.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Melanie H

It's great to hear some feedback from wedding guests and it's even better to hear you had such a nice time! All the staff here, including myself, love working weddings as its such a pleasant atmosphere and the place really comes alive during the evening reception. Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here in January 2014. The hotel is very spacious and tastefully decorated. This is a period building and ceilings are very very high.
The hotel stands in nice grounds facing Ripon Cathedral which when lit up is very beautiful.
The bedroom was cavernous with a 4 poster king size bed and wooden shutters over the windows. The bathroom was equally large and had an open fireplace in it.
The staff were all very friendly and accommodating and all engaged in very easy conversation while still going about their work. As it was early in January when we stayed the large open coal and log fire in the lounge were magnetic, drawing guests close to having got drinks from the adjacent bar.
We had an evening meal which was very nice but felt that the menu was quite restrictive. Having said that, it was a pleasant change to have a good selection of seasonal vegetables with a steak instead of the usual garden peas and crinkly carrots! However, we have no such hesitation in paring the breakfast. We took some gentle persuading to venture further than cereals and toast but by the 'eck, it was worth it.
We were actually sorry to leave and would gladly return.

Room Tip: Choose the room opposite the cathedral if you can and don't close the shutters. The cathedral is beautiful when lit.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

What an accurate description of The Old Deanery! Visiting in winter is a real treat as like you have mentioned, the log burner in the centre of our bar really is magnetic and it makes the whole building so cosy and homely. I would like to apologise that you found our menu slightly restrictive during your stay. If, on your next visit, you would like to try our restaurant again then I'm sure this would not be the case. We look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We arrived in Ripon in the late afternoon, and discovered that the hotel that my husband had originally booked was completely inadequate so we went searching for the tourist information office. By the time we found it, it had closed. We were near the cathedral and asked a nice woman who was walking by if she could recommend anything. She pointed to The Old Deanery. We went in to this well maintained but old (1798) building. The two woman at the desk were extremely nice, but said that they were full. They called another hotel in town but it was full. Since they felt so badly for us they began seeing how they could squeezes us in. After rearranging the rooms and giving up one of their own, they fit us in. What a treat! Built as the original deanery for the cathedral and converted into a small hotel, it was right next to the magnificent church- our rooms looked out towards this sight. One room had a four poster and the other one was quite large and in what must once have been as attic. It also had a view out back towards the garden. Breakfast was included and they offered several options beyond the traditional English breakfast. We had omelets and Eggs Benedict. Ripon is a very nice stop and The Old Deanery Hotel is a high spot.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JimandBecky360

It's so disappointing to hear your original choice of hotel in Ripon was inadequate, however I'm glad this led to you being able to experience the charm of The Old Deanery. The two women you have mentioned are Grace (Functions Manager) and Linda (Owner) and I will make sure they know how grateful you were for finding a way for us to accommodate you. Thank you for such kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Ripon was full up, which is an odd thing for Ripon, but I found a room in this delightful old building right opposite the cathedral, and at a reasonable price. It couldn't have been better. My room overlooked the beautiful garden, and I watched ducks waddling around from my window. The room was large with a good sized bathroom and the bed really comfortable, though I do prefer a duvet to blankets. The breakfast room was beautiful and I had my all-time favourite - eggs benedict, which was delicious. The young staff were absolutely lovely and made me, a business woman travelling on my own, feel very comfortable. They also recommended somewhere to eat as they had a function on (Lockwood which was excellent). I would love to come back here on my next visit.

Room Tip: No 6 has a lovely view of the garden and is quiet
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank celloconcert

It was actually your comments made in this review that has spurred us on to change all our rooms to duvets instead of blankets, on the beds; so I would like to thank you for being so honest with your opinion which I'm sure many of our guests agreed with! The garden is truly beautiful and we now have a full-time gardener so on your next visit I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy it even more. Your kind words are much appreciated and I'm so glad we made you feel comfortable while travelling alone on business. We look forward to welcoming you back here soon.