“Best view in town”

The Old Deanery
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Ripon
“Best view in town”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

A 17th century building with a staircase to match. The owners have sensibly retained the historic look of the interior of the old deanery. Room 3 has a splendid view over the north face of Ripon Cathedral. Bedroom and bathroom are wonderfully spacious. The staff were extremely friendly and supplied much interesting historical information about the building.
The only slip in the service was our being told on arrival that the restaurant was fully booked for lunch and then being informed soon afterwards that there had been a cancellation and we could eat there. When we went down, we found there was only one other couple in the restaurant. The staff then forgot to put the cost of the lunch onto our bill.
The large and beautiful garden at the back is a work in progress, with new planting planned for this autumn.

Room Tip: See review above
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
ChrisJMBrown, Manager at The Old Deanery, responded to this review, 3 November 2014
I'm glad to hear you appreciated our historic building and were keen to find out more - it really is a magnificent building, which I guess you would expect being just opposite the even more magnificent Ripon Cathedral. In regards to our garden, we now have a gardener who comes daily to maintain it and help it achieve an even greater beauty. My apologies about the confusion surrounding you dining with us at lunchtime. I was the one who checked you in and communicated with you in regards to this. Although the restaurant was quiet during the time you dined with us, we were in fact very busy a bit later on: we only do one sitting in the restaurant as to provide a comfortable and relaxed dining experience, so guests can take as much, or as little time as they like. We look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Chris - Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We arrived at The Old Deanery after a long, tiring drive from Arran as a stop over on our way back to London. As soon as we met Linda, mounted the very grand staircase and entered our room we felt better. Coming to The Old Deanery is like visiting an old friend who has somehow become Master of an Oxford College and is as delighted by the grand house he finds himself in as you are to visit. It is impossible to describe The Old Deanery without mentioning Linda, whose personality fills the hotel. If you crave the safety of a bland and impersonal chain hotel then don't come here. If you like a bit of eccentricity and old fashioned hospitality, you will love it.

The Old Deanery was built around 1625 and spent 300 years or so accommodating rich clergy with their large families and servants. Think Trollope's Barchester Chronicles. It was carefully extended (it is listed) and refurbished a few years ago. The public rooms are spacious, with high ceilings, long windows, fireplaces.

Our bedroom (5) was large and even its equally grand bathroom had a fireplace. There is a big comfy sofa, a good sized TV with all the channels, kettle and scrummy biscuits, and extras like bottles of mineral water, Molton Brown toiletries and waffle bath robes that you usually get in more expensive hotels. Bath towels were large enough to wrap round and tuck in, bed linen was crisp and cool with a pretty quilt. Wifi worked in the room.

The bed is a four poster, and one corner of the canopy is held together by plastic ties. If that sort of thing bothers you then you have no soul. It in no way affects the comfort or solidity of the bed. I woke the next morning having slept like a log, recovering some of the sleep deficit of the previous three nights spent on uncomfortable hotel beds in Stirling (the Golden Lion - avoid) and Arran (the Lamlash Bay).

Our room, at the front, had a big window which was more than filled by the sight of Ripon Cathedral just across the road. This is illuminated at night, and apparently its clock chimes through the night too. I wasn't disturbed by either. The windows have shutters, not curtains and you can arrange them to partially or completely cover the windows, or you can leave them open - no one can see in.

After a drink in the comfortable bar we had a super meal in the restaurant. Throughout the hotel decorations are chic (with only the occasional touch of shabby) with modern art on the walls (I mean Matisse not Damien Hirst). As with dinner, the food at breakfast was excellent, and the menu more varied than the usual "full English". I had delicious smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. The coffee came in a big cafetiere, no need to ask for a refill, and the marmalade was Wilkins in little glass jars (at last we escape the orange jelly smear in a plastic pot).

Linda was busy at both meals, chatting to guests, asking for feedback and imparting interesting information about the building and the cathedral. When I ordered soup for dinner, but my husband said he would go without a starter she offered him a little cup of the same soup "on me" so he could keep me company. When he ordered cheese and I didn't, I was given a plate too so I could have some of his cheese.

Outside, there is a large gravel parking area at the front, and a big walled garden at the back which can be seen from the breakfast room. There is a large lawn with a big willow behind, and if you explore further there are paths through wilder areas which are currently being planted with shrubs. The hotel does a lot of weddings, and I think it would be a lovely garden on a sunny day for children to run around in as well as being a beautiful place to get married.

The location is ideal for visiting Ripon cathedral and the town's interesting market square. There are many pubs and restaurants in Ripon too. The Old Deanery would be an ideal base for visiting many other places in Yorkshire - Harrogate is not far and it's hard to find a good value hotel there - Fountains Abbey, Newby Hall, the Dales and many, many more.

We had booked on a B&B basis but when we checked out Linda calculated that we could have paid less if we had booked DB&B, so she cut the price, and then knocked off a coffee as well. Altogether it was a wonderful stay and one we hope to repeat.

Room Tip: Room 5 is lovely but if you are a light sleeper and think the cathedral clock might disturb you ask...
1 Thank Margylou
Linda truly is the life of The Old Deanery and as an owner and a host, she cannot be beaten. It's great to hear you enjoyed your time with us to such an extent and during your visit got to learn a lot about the history of the building. My apologies about the canopy above your bed, I believe it was damaged the night previous and due to a busy departure the following morning a temporary fix had to be made. I will not respond to all of your marvellous comments individually but I can ensure you that they have been passed on to all the staff, most of all Linda who is predominantly behind the first class service all guests receive. Thank you again for your truly kind and detailed review, it is very much appreciated by all here at The Old Deanery. We look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This was my second visit to The Old Deanery and I was immediately made to feel so welcome by Linda the owner, like an old friend returning. My room and bathroom were huge with fabulous views over the garden, very peaceful and comfortable. Little touches like a plug in the right place to dry your hair at a dressing table, plenty of water, tea and biscuits and a warm bathroom - sound basic but big hotels so often get them wrong. No request is ever too much trouble and all the staff are very helpful and friendly. A little gem of a hotel in a stunning location with super food -i can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Garden view for peace and quiet or Cathedral view for stunning outlook.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank KB50s
I'm so glad to hear as a returning guest this visit was as good as your last! Linda is a fantastic host and she never forgets a familiar face! I think as a smaller independent hotel we pride ourselves on the little things and it's great to hear these didn't go unnoticed. Thank you for all your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back for another stay soon, old friend!

Richmond, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Wonderful staff..great rooms and bathrooms..the breakfasts are amazing. The hotel is right beside the beautiful cathedral..and within a minutes walk to the village. Would highly recommend this hotel as a base to discover Yorkshire.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Although Ripon may feel like a village, with its magnificent cathedral we are indeed a city; one of the smallest in the United Kingdom! With its close proximity to the A1 and the Yorkshire dales, both Ripon and The Old Deanery are a great hub to explore Yorkshire (and the North of England for that matter!) as you mentioned. Thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

A terrific hotel right in the heart of Ripon, next to the Cathedral. Nothing was too much bother for the staff. If you want to get away from the major hotel chains and indulge in some luxury, stay here.

The restaurant food was beautifully prepared and the ingredients of the highest quality and fresh.

The orange and apple juices are breakfast are freshly prepared, which is a real treat compared to the usual liquids hotels offer-up at breakfast.

We stayed at the date of our anniversary and were kindly give free champagne and treats!

Room Tip: All the rooms are different, the staff will help you select one that meets your needs.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank PeteRachelfamily
As you recognised we are an independent hotel and restaurant with a team of young staff on hand to ensure all our guests have a truly relaxing stay. It's great to hear you chose to spend your wedding anniversary with us; the least we could do was to make it that little bit more special with a glass of complimentary fizz! Your kind comments will be passed to the kitchen on your behalf. We look forward to welcoming you back here soon, maybe the same date next year?

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just a One night stay but what a superb place .....We arrived around 11pm and the night porter who's name I didnt get so I hope he doesnt mind me describing him as the Ginger bloke was just Superb,Showed us to our room then opened bar so we could buy a bottle of wine and then did some nice touches dim lights put on some music,This man could not of been any more helpful and was great at his job and there are some big chains who's staff could learn a lot from this man....

On to hotel it is a wonderful place great old features with all the Mod-Cons you could want added in a sympathetic way to the building,Our Room superb bathroom and oh my the bed.....So comfortable had a superb nights sleep...

Have to say the Bar Prices was very fair and good value had a nice bottle of Spanish red for 19 pound which was fair price and nice wine....

Breakfast and of course since we have watched Four Rooms everyone is an expert...Spot on great selection and great produce just great....

Was only there short time but a great place I could tell you more about features of building but I wont just go and stay ...Fantastic place

Room Tip: Room 9 right at the top .....Fab room
2 Thank FatboyMRH
I prefer strawberry blonde or Chris, but ginger bloke will do just fine as I didn't take the opportunity to properly introduce myself! We like to offer a very personal and friendly service here at The Old Deanery and I think after the long day you had, you deserved a glass or two of one of the wines chosen by Linda (the owner). It's great to hear you had such a nice (albeit brief) stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We found this gem of a hotel as we were looking online for somewhere to stay in Ripon. Well - where do I start? It's really easy to find (right next to the magnificent cathedral) and when you turn into the walled courtyard, the building is a delight to behold! There is lots of car parking space directly outside the front of the hotel. We were greeted by a very friendly young man on reception and shown straight to our room. The inside of the hotel was spotlessly clean and well-maintained. We chose Room 4, which overlooked the gardens. It was spacious, light and airy, with two sash windows which overlooked the spectacular mature gardens. The bathroom was a delight, with a roll-top bath, an over-the-bath shower with a large shower head, Molton Brown toiletries, fluffy towels and dressing gowns. All good so far! We sat in the garden to enjoy a beer (or two) in the sunshine - the setting was perfect. Once again, the staff were attentive, very friendly and clearly enjoyed their work. We had an excellent dinner (which was very reasonably priced for the quality of food that we received - all fresh and locally sourced) and the service was faultless. After a relax in the lounge, we went up to our room, drifted off to sleep whilst listening to the owls, and enjoyed a very comfortable night. We were made welcome at breakfast, where there was fruit, juice and cereals - and not a dreadful corporate toasting machines in sight! Cooked breakfast is chosen from a comprehensive menu and served to the table. We opted for the full Yorkshire breakfast (it would have been rude not to) and it was just delicious. The personal touch is what makes this hotel extra-special. The owner, Linda, is usually in the hotel and chats to all the guests. There is a definite family feel to The Old Deanery. If you are looking for a hotel with a friendly welcome, excellent service and superb food, all wrapped up in a piece of history, then this hotel is for you. We will definitely be returning!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
What a lovely review, I can't thank you enough for your kind and honest comments on your time with us. I think as you said, our staff enjoy their work and I'm glad this is coming across to our guests. Although our staff here aren't a family, it feels like one! I'm glad you enjoyed your room and our stunning gardens. Room 4 is a superb large room with an equally large bed and our gardens are maintained daily by our gardener. We like to do things a bit differently and this extends to our breakfast service; with a wide offering of dishes and with everything made fresh to order. Thank you again for your kind words which will of course be passed on to all the staff here on your behalf. We look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Chris - Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripon
Swinton Park
Rudding Park Hotel
Rudding Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Follifoot
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa

Been to The Old Deanery? Share your experiences!