“very friendly”
Review of The Ashburn Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lurgan
The Ashburn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lurgan
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Staying here is exactly what we wanted. The staff are extremely friendly and the hotel is clean and simply a nice place to stay. Room is comfortable and food in the bar was good. Definitely recommend it and great value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Phil M
AshburnManager, Manager at The Ashburn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Thank you for your comments.

Its great when the staff's hard work is recognised in such a nice way.

Thank-you for taking the time to post your review.

There are newer reviews for The Ashburn Hotel

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Myself, mum and sisters meet in Lurgan every year and stay at the Ashburn. The staff are very friendly, especially the girl who serves breakfast. The food is great and barstaff have a laugh with you. Yes there is a nightclub underneath but it has never been a problem. In fact it is a bonus when we take younger family members with us. I find it hard to understand why anyone would leave negative comments about this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Anitafurnell
AshburnManager, Manager at The Ashburn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2013

Thank-you for your comments. We too look forward to welcoming you every year.

We pride ourselves on our friendly staff and they appreciate their hard work being recognised. We try our best to cater for all age groups from the young to the young at heart and our nightclub is a huge hit with lots of our guests.

Thank- you for taking the time to comment and we look forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Every Easter I visit the Ashburn Hotel with members of my family who travel from England. I drive from the republic and meet them at the airport. We have done this for several years and none of us would dream of booking anywhere else. One of my daughters even books the same room each year, which she calls "her room". The building is a beautiful old house which has been tastefully decorated in keeping with it's dignified character. The modern extensions at the rear don't detract from the original.Breakfast in the dining room is a relaxing experience with appetising food served by a pleasant and attentive waitress. In the evening we ate in the bright spacious bar which is frequented by friendly locals especially at weekends when families come to eat out.The hotel is an ideal situation near Lurgan Railway Station and the M1 motorway. The town centre and local park which is well worth a visit are within walking distance. This hotel is owned and run by a local family called McConaghy who have been in the licensed trade for many years. The Beehive Bar at the top of the street is owned by them they also acquired the old Courthouse building across from the Ashburn and it is now a quirky pub where a lot of the features of the building's more sedate times remain. If you visit Lurgan and want to stay in easy reach of local amenities in friendly comfortable surroundings then I would highly recommend the Ashburn.

Room Tip: Although the hotel doesn't have a lift the flight of stairs to the first floor rooms is short an...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Ellen L
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Stayed here for 1 night mid-week, while on business in the area.
The only positives I can give this hotel are the friendly staff and the car park. Aside from that, it was a truly awful hotel to stay in.

The room was the most basic I've ever stayed in. My issues with it were:
- Very dark, with very dated decor
- Absolutely roasting hot, even after turning the radiator off. I had to open the window, despite it being close to freezing outside.
- There was a constant 'humming' throughout the whole night - possibly due to an air-con unit outside, I wasn't sure.
- My room (No 1) was at the beginning of the hallway. You could hear every single person walking by the room all evening. No sound proofing at all.
- They use blankets on the bed - a definite no-no for me. And the blanket on the bed I was using came complete with a large cigarette burn in it.
- The bed and pillows were rock hard, lumpy and extremely uncomfortable.
- Two of the lamps in the room were not working.

I ate dinner and breakfast in the bar downstairs.
The breakfast area is terrible (dark and dreary) and the selection consists of a few tupperware containers with cereal and a menu that only lists a fry as the breakfast options. I asked for some toast and two (soft) poached eggs and the eggs were the worst I'd ever seen. They were obviously cooked using an egg poacher and were rubbery and totally hard.
Dinner in the bar was average. The brie starter was overcooked and the main of seabass was deep-fried, which is fine but the menu doesn't state it was cooked like that and I wouldn't have ordered it if I'd known it was.

I would NEVER return to this hotel and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank XshellyX
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Spent 2 night mid-week stay at the Ashburn whilst on business in the area. The staff are really pleasant and helpful. Large free car park to rear and attached restaurant and pub/restaurant, with a wide variety of food. My room was a lot bigger than I expected and very clean (had double and singe bed). You can't go wrong with the prices either...very reasonable. I made the right decision booking here and would definitely stay again if visiting the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Al M
Reviewed 24 February 2013

stayed here one saturday night recently and i have to say that everything was just perfect.we parked in their ample car park and were checked in by a very efficient friendly receptionist.the room was good and clean.we had a meal in the bar which was excellent and plenty of everything.bar staff and wait staff were very attentive and friendly even though they were very busy serving meals and drinks.there was a disco on in hotel but never heard a thing from our bedroom and had a good nights sleep.breakfast next morning was very good and again a friendly and attentive waitress.a very helpful man checked us out and we paid and left very happy with our stay.we will be back and hopefully for a longer stay next time.micheál murphy

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank roamingirishman
Reviewed 19 February 2013

was sent here from the Seagoe hotel in Portadown as they had messed up my booking. Arrived at night and was a bit taken aback as it just looked like a pub. How wrong - the room was immaculate and MASSIVE! it looked as if it had never been stayed in before, the decoration was beautiful and the bathroom was top range & better than many a 4 star hotel I've stayed in. All of the people at the hotel were friendly and a lovely gent helped dig my car out of the snow (thanks again). Also the meals were fab , home cooked and plenty of it! The only thing that was not excellent wass the fact that there is a club attached to the hotel and revellers werre singing in the street til 3am on Sunday ( this is only on Fri/Sat & Sun and was great the rest of the week) - i suspect if I'd not been there for business though I would have joined them!!

Room Tip: A back room may be best if traffic noise annoys you as the fornt rooms are on the high street.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank damejudistokes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lurgan
Seagoe Hotel
#2 of 2 in Lisburn
Glenmore Manor B&B
Glenmore Manor B&B
#1 of 4 in Craigavon

Been to The Ashburn Hotel? Share your experiences!