“A Great Experience in Crossmaglen”
Review of Cross Square Hotel

Cross Square Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crossmaglen
Dublin, Ireland
“A Great Experience in Crossmaglen”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

If there was an award for the friendliest Family oriented Hotel in Ireland then “The Cross Square Hotel” in Crossmaglen would win hands down…

We travelled North from Dublin and stayed in “The Cross Square Hotel” Crossmaglen for two nights from the 19th August and were greeted by the most friendly staff who take a passionate interest in each and every Guest. Crossmaglen in South Armagh has a rich political History and it is very rewarding to speak to the locals and explore a little.

Fiona our Host recalled the rich history of Crossmaglen and how the brambly apple pie recepie has passed down through generations of her family, In true Irish tradition every Guest is greeted with a cup of Tea and a rich Apple pie. A unique and very welcome experience, “The Cross Square Hotel” is the first Hotel in Crossmaglen in over 100 Years and is well worth a Visit.

We decided to explore immediately, and found the Local Pubs to be very friendly epically” Ma Kearneys”, the location of the hotel seemed to be fantastic. We loved the Town itself and there was plenty to explore.

On our return We were greeted by Margaret and Lia who introduced us to the best Steak House in Armagh, If you enjoy your food you will enjoy the Great Food of “The Cross Square Hotel” succulent Prawns and the best Steak in Ireland. It really is worth getting up to Cross just to enjoy the food

Our room , had two single beds and a double although we had only booked a double, but it did mean that we had ample space. We both liked the decor; the room was clean and modern. You really can’t ask for any more.

Our package included the breakfast, which is self-service, full-Irish and continental style food, all of which was great. The room was cleaned and our bed made up while we were out. We felt safe and relaxed and its Location is fantastic for anyone traveling North around Ireland.

We loved the hotel and were really impressed and felt that it was great value for money. We would love to come back again, and if we travel North again we will definitely book this Hotel.

Absolutely fantastic!

Room Tip: Don't come here if you are on a diet...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Dermot M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Stony Point, New York, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My parents recently returned home to NY after staying at The Cross Square Hotel for a week..They couldn't say enough good things about this hotel; including the wonderful staff, great breakfasts, clean rooms and most of all the very comfortable beds...The staff went above and beyond for my parents...I would highly recommend to anyone visiting Ireland to make sure you make your reservation to stay at The Cross Square Hotel for at least a few nights...You will sleep like a baby in their big cozy beds...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Anne Marie F
Ballycastle, Ireland
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Called into this hotel for lunch with a tour group of 10. the staff where very welcoming, orders were taken quickly and food arrived together. The food was tasty and well priced, what really made our visit was the two girls working in the bar, we received a proper Irish welcome.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed in this hotel for dinner, bed and breakfast on Thursday 16 May. We thought it would be a nice stop for our visit to Newry on the following day.

We arrived at about 1.30 pm when the receptionist on duty was also trying to serve the bars lunch trade. She gave us the key to our room but it did'nt work. She then gave us a key to a different room which also failed to work. By then a man appeared with a charging unit which opened our allocated room. The room was bright and to the front of the hotel. I decided to have a quick shower but the water was cold. I mentioned this to the manager on duty when we came downstairs and he said he would adjust the thermostat.

As dinner was included in our booking, we asked about booking it and were told we could have it anytime we liked. We presented ourselves for dinner at 7.30 and shared the dining room with only one other couple. When we told the waiter we were on the overnight package rate, he said our main course would have to be beef. As my wife does not eat beef she remonstrated at their being no choice of main course. The manager said that the package special depended on what had been served at lunch but agreed to serve chicken to my wife. I had the beef which in tne event was quite good. Our desserts were also ok.

In the morning I again tried the shower but the water was cold so I could'nt shower. On coming down for breakfast at about 8.30am, the lady on duty reminded us we could not have breakfast until 9.00 am, We walked around the square as there was a market being set up. On return at 9.05 am, the lady on duty showed us to our table. She gave us a general, priced menu and asked us what we wanted. When we asked what we could have on the package special she was not forthcoming. We asked for orange juice to start which was perfunctorily plonked in front of us. The juice was watery and barely worth having, I ordered the porridge but my wife settled for an egg. My porridge was good and my Irish fry was also ok. My wife had tea while I had coffee to finish. We were the only ones in the dining room and the service from the beginning was to say the least reluctant.

When we were checking out, I mentioned the fact that I could'nt have a shower because of the cold water and the receptionist expressed surprise. Both my wife and I were anxious to get out of the hotel as the experience overall was so disappointing. Incidentally, the bedroom was quite satisfactory but we will never return. A good accommodation spoiled by poor service and an incredible "no choice" main course for dinner and a rluctantly served breakfast.

If anyone wishes to stay overnight near Newry, they would be well advised to stay in Drogheda or Newry itself. But not in this hotel.

Room Tip: Just don't use this hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank monara
fifs, Manager at Cross Square Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Dear valued customer,
I sincerely apologise for the lack of customer service you feel you received during your stay. The Cross Square Hotel is a family run hotel within an area of outstanding natural beauty in its infancy in relation to tourism and we take customer service very seriously because we are only as good as our customer service, our quality of food and the reviews of our last customer.
We have recently trained all our front of house staff and gained the accolade of 'World Host' excellence in customer services as well as one of two places in County Armagh who was award the 'Taste of Ulster' for our food.

In the information booklet in the rooms it states breakfast starts at 9am unless otherwise requested the evening before, the breakfast time has mainly been dictated by demand - we do however run a late breakfasts for our guests until 11.30am.

In reference to the shower facilities I have no explanation as to why the water was not hot. As a general rule if the water is allowed to run for a short period of time it reaches a hot temperature. We have had guests stay since and have had no complaints regards this matter, the water thermostat should not have been an issue.

The Cross Square Hotel was established in 2006 and is the first hotel in Crossmaglen in over 100 years, We pride ourselves on going the extra mile for our customers and from our other reviews in trip advisor you can see that your experience was atypical and totally out of character
I hope you accept my sincere apologies and i do hope i can encourage you to reconsider your original comments by accepting an invitation to visit us again as your experience is certainly not representative of the service we aim to provide or the ethos we want to create for our valued guests.

i would greatly appreciate it if you could contact me directly - fionakieran@btinternet.com if you would like to discuss this matter further.

I can assure you I will fully investigate this matter
Glen Cove, New York
Reviewed 14 May 2013

This past Sunday our family group of seven adults stopped in without a reservation for lunch. The staff was very welcoming and set a table for us quickly. The meals were top quality homestyle cooking. Two of us had the salmon which was delicious. My two brothers had the roast beef which they said was excellent. The bar/dining area had free WiFi which was seamless and very responsive. Overall, the restaurant was a great find!

• Stayed May 2013
Malta
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We've been there for five days and we felt like we were at home. All the hotel's staff was very gentle and helpful, especially the servers. The hotel's food was delicious as well. Absolutely recommended on my behalf.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Larkin_Bonnici
Clydebank, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013

we stayed for 4nights at this hotel to attend my nephew,s wedding., staff were friendly and nothing was a bother to any of them. food was lovely, beds comfy. plenty hot water, room was lovely, what can i say? absolutely fabulous. big thanks to paul and all the staff. u made our holiday one to remember .jean and arthur.

Room Tip: rooms to back, nice and quiet
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JEAN83185
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crossmaglen
Carrickdale Hotel
#1 of 1 in Armagh
Shirley Arms Hotel
Shirley Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Carrickmacross

Been to Cross Square Hotel? Share your experiences!