“Wonderful Little Hotel”
Review of Cross Square Hotel

Cross Square Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crossmaglen
Reviewed 15 September 2013

The Cross Square Hotel is a cute little hotel on a quaint little square. The rooms were very clean and very spacious. Fiona, the owner, is just as friendly as she can be and truly makes you feel welcome. The food was very good and there's a nice sized bar where local musicians played some wonderful Irish music for us. Overall, a very good experience and would love to return should I find myself in Ireland again. Don't miss this place if you're anywhere nearby.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We booked this family run hotel for one night in August as we were attending a function nearby.
The rooms were spacious clean and the beds were very comfortable. When we returned from our evening out, the bar was still open and there was a DJ playing music with a few dancers giving it a whirl around the floor. It was nice and relaxing and the sandwiches that appeared were appreciated. Breakfast - the Ulster fry - was great the next morning. The lady serving breakfast was very friendly - a warm and chatty person. I cannot fault any of the staff, they were all friendly. Thank you Gene for the sandwiches.
We had a drive through the Ring of Guillion which was amazing. We were short on time and did not get to see enough of south Armagh. Hopefully we can make the trip soon again with more time to spend and stay in Cross Square Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This small family run Hotel is the ideal base to explore some of the most beautiful and breathtaking landscapes and countryside of the Ring of Gullion which is steeped in mythology and folklore. The warmth and helpfulness of the proprietor and staff who provide a fund of local knowledge were greatly appreciated by myself and my family. The food and service were first class and the accommodation perfect. We were also really impressed by the family friendly atmosphere and attentiveness to our children who can be quite cranky. All in all, a hearty recommendation to this hidden jewel in South Armagh !

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have a magnificent view of the surrounding countryside.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2013

In the hotel we had a great reception, great food, the staff did everything for our well-being, the bar was open late :) I recommend it because for such a small town you do not expect a complete service. Thank you from group frof Slovenia....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Thank you to all the staff at Cross Square Hotel for taking such great care of our club on our recent visit. our group consisted of 12 men whom had traveled to Newtown to take part in a Road bowling competition on the last weekend in August.We found the hotel to be very comfortable and the staff were extremely friendly and the food was excellent. Unfortunately we did not have time to enjoy the lovely scenery around crossmaglen, maybe on our next visit. once again thank you for making us feel so welcome.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I didn't really know this town and was staying a couple of nights because I'd come over from England for a family party in Co. Louth. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, the room was clean and comfortable and the service was great. I came over on my own and was looking to go walking and explore South Armagh and the ring of Gullion in the short time I had, given that the party was most of one of the two days. I asked the reception where was nice within walking distance and I was told Lough Ross, up the Castleblaney road. Lough Ross and the surrounding countryside didn't disappoint.

On returning, I walked out along the Carlingford Road to see what was there and when I asked a lady coming out of her house and a fellow that she called over to ask, told me that the Creggan Lawns were nice and told me how to get there. They said it was a long walk and the lady offered me a lift back to Cross so that I could drive there, but I opted for a nice long walk instead. Creggan Lawns was beautiful and they had told me about a church up there with a graveyard in which they had the skulls of the O'Neills (former kings of Ireland). Apparently, you have to knock on the door of the house by the graveyard and ask and they will open it up and you can go down and have a look at them, but I hadn't picked up on that.

In the evening, I went out and had a look around the pubs to find out which was the liveliest and at that time on that evening it was Ma Kearney's, so I went in and made friends with the locals and had a great night. The local people are lovely. I'd recommend this hotel and this town to anyone.

I should also point out that I have lived in England most of my life and have an English accent and was telling everyone who asked that I was from Manchester and they couldn't have been nicer to me and they made me feel very welcome and safe here, so any would be English tourists umming and ahing, I can say that yes you will see some big signs on the way down saying ira in large letters and that might feel a bit scary, but if you just get over that then you'll find there's no need to be worried there or in town itself - just relax, you'll be fine and you'll have a great time there.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Dermot_G959
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Booked at the very last minute, the Cross Square did not disappoint. A fantastic hostess, wonderful food, and absolutely spotless accommodation. Stay here. You will not regret it. Cross ages and surrounds are absolutely beautiful.

Stayed: August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crossmaglen
Carrickdale Hotel
#1 of 2 in Kingscourt
19 mi away
Charlemont Arms Hotel
Mourne Country Hotel

Been to Cross Square Hotel? Share your experiences!