All reviewshot tublarge groupmilking parlourself cateringtack roomhen dowedding receptionspa treatmentslaid backworking farmlyme regisstunning viewsblown awayfriends weddingmy mumlovely weekendsecond to none
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed for a long weekend at Cranberries expecting the luxury accommodation as it says in the title. Unfortunately it was not quite up to scratch. The cleaning prior to our arrival was half done finding children's toys, sticky drink and '30' table decorations under the sofa stuck to the floor. Some carpets were coming up causing a trip hazard and the hot tubs were unusable as they were so dirty.
When queried, Verity told us that if we had not looked under the sofa we would not have seen the mess and that the mess was ours even though we were not celebrating a 30th birthday. This was almost laughable coming from someone offering a luxury hideaway and her attitude was not professional. She refused to come and see the mess that we had left in situ.

However, I cannot fault the location and the owner Steve's effort to make our stay a lovely weekend. The buffet he provided was of high standard and was hand delivered by Steve and Bel. I would recommend staying at Cranberries and I think in three years time this will be one of the places to stay in the area.

I do recommend some members of staff develop some social skills.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andy M
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed in the tack room, a small studio on the complex. The room itself was lovely, well-decorated and well-equipped - perfect for our 2 night stay and great location for River Cottage and the Jurassic coast.

There were a few niggles we found that were slightly disappointing but could easily be fixed so that the accommodation can live up to its luxury name. Wifi didn't work in our room, you could only connect outside the front door and as a few other reviewers have said, it would have been good to have an exterior light to access the property at night. The other issue for us was that we couldn't control the heating ourselves and the room was too hot to sleep on the first night. Fortunately, we called the owner and he was able to reduce the temperature for us the 2nd night.

The only other thing that I'd like to see is a bit of work done to tidy up the grounds. I think it's just that it is still a bit of a work in progress in places.

Nonetheless, we did enjoy our stay very much and I would recommend Cranberries to anyone visiting the area!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emily S
verity c, Front Office Manager at Cranberries Hideaway, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thank you for your review, we welcome feedback from our guests.
The outside light has been put into place for future guests. The gardens have s dedicated gardener
Our gardens and flora have been heavily invested into, this includes our dedicated wedding garden. It's a shame your visit wax October as the flowers have long since gone to be replaced by autumnal colours and weather! The wi fi company we use have been asked to look into Tack room wifi.We look forward to welcoming you back to Cranberries.
Best wishes
Verity

Reviewed 24 August 2013

After a confusion over our booking at another venue, we were lucky enough to be pointed in the direction of Cranberries for just one night.
Steve did a great job of showing me around the complex - and mighty fine it looks - with the 6 bed 16 berth 6 bathroom last house style conversion looking amazing
Our bijou one bed studio was nonetheless fabulous, and was worthy of far more than the one night we spent there
I would like to return with more time

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We've just come back from a week at Cranberries topped off with our wedding at the weekend. The accomodation itself is beautiful with one of the best views you'll find in Devon. The outdoor wedding pagoda takes full advantage of this and I imagine it would be difficult to find a wedding venue with a better view.

When we arrived there were just keys in doors and no-one came to show us round. This is ok as it is self-catering accomodation but it would have been useful as one freezer was broken (which was known about) but we weren't told and wasted some food we had prepared and taken with us.

The playground for the children is good with the aeroplane see-saw a favourite with all the kids. The basketball shoot-out game gave the competitive adults in our party a good competition during the week (45 top score with one ball if anyone can beat that!). The hot tubs were well used all week although they where very dirty on our arrival and I would have expected them to have been ready to use, they where cleaned and filled when asked though and well maintained during the week.

Special thanks go to Jason & Andy who helped our wedding day and night run smoothly and helped cap a special week with a brilliant day. Also to Bel who always had a smile and a chat as he went about his watering & jobs. We did have a few misunderstandings/communications whilst organising our wedding but the weather the view and the staff mentioned above really made sure we had a day to remember and I would recommend any prospective bride & grooms to check out what Cranberries has to offer. I'd also like to mention Andy and the Rhea Farm Campsite on the same road who saved the day putting up our camping guests and being only a 5 minute walk down the road offers a good place for additional guests to stay when considering Cranberries for a wedding/function.

All in all we had a great week and hopefully the Tack Room will be available for our first wedding anniversary next year.

Room Tip: We had almost all the rooms booked out and I did have a look in all of them, you won't go far wrong with any of them! We personally stayed in the Tack Room which was a perfect one-bed studio with one of the comfiest beds i've ever slept on.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I'm not sure if it was the name of the place or the price that led to a fairly high expectation prior to arrival, but either way the result was disappointing. We stayed with another couple in The Dairy which we were led to believe was two bedroom. It really isn't. The second 'bedroom' is on a mezzanine with no wall and so overlooks the hallway leading to the bathroom and other bedroom. To make matters worse the door into the lounge didn't fit the frame and so wouldn't shut, meaning there was no way of preventing any noise from the lounge going to this mezzanine room. It took us a while to work out how to get hot water and how to use the various bath functions as there was no welcome pack with information about any of the contraptions. I think we got the shower working correctly but it still wasn't that hot or powerful! Similarly, there was no information about wi-fi access but we found out the code later. Everything else was absolutely fine. But that's just it: fine. I can't really think of anything luxurious about it. I have stayed in much nicer places for half the price.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends