“Beautiful location - house boiling hot!!”

Cranberries Hideaway
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have just visited this location for a hen do and was pleasantly surprised with the property and the amazing views surrounding it.

We stayed in the Wagon Shed which had an en-suite for every room, bar ours. The property has underfloor heating in it which the owners will not turn off meaning that we were boiling hot during the night which was very unpleasant and meant we got hardly any sleep! Instead of having windows in the twin rooms (front of house) they had doors instead, so we couldn't even open these to cool down in the night. To make matters worse our room had the thinnest curtains so while we were trying to catch up on sleep in the morning we couldn't because the sun was coming in - not very well thought out.

The property has obviously not long been finished as there were a few errors that have been overlooked including scribbled markings on the door frames and metal poking out of the bedroom wall.

Saying all of that, I would recommend the property for a getaway as it has everything you could need and is very beautiful especially when the weather is right.

Just a few things that need to be straightened out (underfloor heating switch and curtains) and I think it would have been a 100% positive review.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the ground floor rooms - you don't have a window to open during the night!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
verity c, Manager at Cranberries Hideaway, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thanks very much for taking the time for writing the review on Cranberries. The points raised have been noted! and they will be actioned asap. Thanks again for the kind comments the pictures look amazing too

There are newer reviews for Cranberries Hideaway

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I am appalled by the negative review left on here as nothing was too much trouble on our big day. We had several visits to Cranberries prior to the day and every single time the staff were helpful and friendly. Everything we wanted we got ! The location is second to none and the accommodation is simply beautiful. Family who had travelled down to Devon the day before had a two night stay in the lovely Milking Parlour and since it sleeps 16, we all had breakfast together which was lovely. The weather on the day was appalling and we arrived over an hour earlier than expected but the staff opened up the bar and couldn't have been more helpful ! Several of our guests commented on the location/layout of Cranberries with a view to booking for their own family functions, they were so impressed. We cannot thank Verity and Steve and all the staff for making the whole weekend perfect for us and our guests.

Room Tip: The Milking Parlour and The Wagon Shed sleep 16 and are brilliant if you have lots of family who wan...
2  Thank 2006MalcolmT
Reviewed 11 June 2014

How can I describe this place. Great. No that's not good enough. It's FANTASTIC! Really king and caring staff great location every thing was amazing. I am so pleased I went there we had a really great time. Thank you Steve for the great time and thank you verity for helping us. Even though there's building work going on, that's what you expect it is a new accommodation! So anyone complaining about cranberries should just leave and keep your problems to youself. Steve also had children who were extremely kind and very polite. They played with my kids while we were there and my children enjoyed it thoroughly as well. Once again thank you Steve. We had a great time. 5 stars. I recommend this place!

Room Tip: Any room is amazing!
1  Thank pianocovers8910
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Superb place in a great rural location. We were greeted and shown around by Steve.
We stayed in the Hayloft which was a great place for a couple. Bed was really comfortable and enough space in the room to relax on the sofa.
Lyme Regis pubs are close by for a bite to eat in the evening and an evening walk. ( I think it was called the Harbour the pub we went to)
The Views from the top of the complex are amazing of the rolling Devon hillside.
We also booked an evening meal at River Cottage which was a great experience.
The Steps to the hayloft are steep so just be careful with those with young children or elderly.
Overall it was a great stay and great value for what we paid.
We will be travelling back again to see the extra rooms that are being build into those fantastic listed buildings. If you are interested Steve has pictures of the buildings as shells before all the building work started. We loved the place and have already booked another stay later this year.

Room Tip: Hayloft is great for couples but steep steps.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Wow such a beautiful place to be. Literally hidden away in the rolling hills of Devon.
We stayed in the Wagon shed and it slept all 16 of us very comfortably, and i have to say it was amazing, from the super comfy beds to the lush furnishings to the fantastic views from the hot tub across the Devon hills. Inside the living areas are open plan. The kitchen is big with an aga to cook on and comfortably enough room to seat us all together
The staff we encountered were friendly towards our group and were always on hand and able to advise on places to go and things to do.
The place was a working farm and has been/is still being painstakingly transformed into this Luxury holiday complex so yes you might bump into a builder or two but they were in no way offensive in their work or noise and it was never early or late when they were working, and I for one can't wait to come back and see the progress as soon as i can. Hopefully when the restaurant and spa are built.
Our biggest problem of the stay was tearing ourselves away to go home.
We can't wait to return

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Returned early from The Stables!!
Owners didn't question why (guess it happens a lot?) and didn't seem bothered! They had taken our money upfront anyway!
Location? Building site all day every day! We travelled with young children and didn't feel safe! No car park and constantly had to get builders to move vans and lorries so we could get near to Stables!
No welcome or welcome pack for us!
Had to keep windows shut as noise and dirt from building work unbearable! Main bedroom v damp: you can both smell and see it!
Expected for £1000 for the week a bit of luxury but these were just a few of our issues, wish it was just the lack of luxury we could complain about! And people wonder why the Brits travel abroad?
Bliss to be home: should NOT have to say that....

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Boopie2
CranberriesH, Owner at Cranberries Hideaway, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

My name is Steve Littley and I am the owner of Cranberries. I have never replied personally to a Tripadvisor review before, but I felt that after reading this I needed to respond to such a negative review. On arrival you were greeted by myself and shown to the Stables by me personally. As with all guests arriving you are shown to the barn and given instructions and information. You said you ordered 2 cots and 2 highchairs, 1 cot was requested only by yourselves on booking only, 2 cots and 2 highchairs were subsequently delivered to you for your twin babies. We charge for hire of these items but the fee was waived.
After you had been here for 3 days yourself and I had a conversation for over 10 minutes, if there was any issue at all during your stay you at no point during that conversation did you mention anything. If you wanted to contact me at any point during your stay to mention any problems I am easily contactable, I live on site, as do my parents and in the information booklet (provided in all barns)there is a number for the office and 2 telephone numbers for out of hours issues. At no time during your stay did you telephone me with any problems or indeed come to the office to tell me of any problems.
We have over 400 car parking spaces here but you choose for your own convenience to park outside of the stables. The major part of our renovation works is complete and it is now only internal fittings that are being finished so there is no outside noise. There is an equestrian centre onsite and they use a blower to clear the yard of hay and straw to keep a tidy yard. If any noise disturbed you, we apologise.
The damp you mention, the stone barns are over 250 years old and constructed of lime and stone (as mentioned on our website all literature) it is a breathable material and as such from time to time moisture will penetrate walls it is easily fixed and not long lasting. The main farmhouse and all other barns onsite are made and constructed of the same materials and are of the same age. The rooms are kept warm with the underfloor heating installed which is power by our eco ground source and air source heat pumps. If again you had mentioned a problem we could have moved you to another barn or freshened up the room for you.
I am sorry you felt the need to leave a day early, if you have mentioned during the 4 days you were here that there were problems you were experiencing then we could have done something to make your stay more comfortable. Instead I find myself responding to a very negative trip advisor review (1 of only 24). We have had thousands of people stay at Cranberries who have enjoyed, weekends, week long stays and their wedding and reception here with us. I would be thankful if everyone who stayed left a review we would be over the 10,000 mark by now and small negative comments would be lost in the many reviews from happy customers and of course our returning customers. Can i please reference a review that was left by a person on Laterooms who stayed here the same time as you:
A little piece of heaven
I have never felt compelled to leave a review before but I thought that this place totally deserved the excellent feedback that I am about to leave......... We stayed in the Saddlery and although small, it was perfectly formed with officially the comfiest bed in the land. Cranberries is tucked away from the hustle and bustle with amazing views from all aspects. The booking experience was seamless and the additional extra's of Breakfast, Food Hamper and Taxi's made the whole experience a breeze.
I would recommend Cranberries to anyone - You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed in "the dairy" and the positives are a lovely location and a nice welcome pack of groceries. But although we enjoyed our stay, as four women who like a bit of luxury, we were disappointed that some of the basics were missing. The spa bath looked fantastic but was a waste of time, as we gave up on trying to fill it as it was so slow, barely a trickle and the shower power was very minimal and no toiletries provided. There is no power point near the mirror in the double bedroom and no mirror at all upstairs so hair drying difficult. Sorry to sound negative but when you are away for a weekend these things are important. It was a particularly cold weekend for the time of year but as there were no logs for the wood burner we only had a convector heater so we were cold as well. We were with a group who stayed in the large barn, that was warm and well equipped.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank miloleicestershire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilmington
Kerrington House
#1 of 1 in Rousdon
Monkton Wyld Court
Monkton Wyld Court
#2 of 7 in Charmouth

Been to Cranberries Hideaway? Share your experiences!