TripAdvisor
All reviewshot tubself cateringmilking parlourlarge grouphen dospa treatmentsfriends weddingwedding receptionworking farmlyme regisstunning viewsfunction roomblown awayfrom start to finishmy mumlovely weekendwifi code
Reviewed 16 September 2017

We booked a 3 night mid-week stay to visit family in the local area.

Considering this hotel describes itself as 'Luxury', for the £100 a night we paid, Ive had better service from a B&B.

Upon arrival, the check in desk was not staffed, leaving us having to call staff on the phone numbers provided on the door. The staff member who did come was very friendly, but simply gave us our keys and showed us the room.

Upon getting to the room, it had been half-heartedly been cleaned, and really was not in a good enough state. We also had no soap, shower gel or shampoo in the room! When I asked the next day (Again, no staff at the desk, had to ask the Spa staff) I was simply given a bar or soap. Again, very poor from a £100 a night hotel. We found a local shop and purchased our own in the end.

The room above us had noisy floorboards, meaning we heard every footstep. Did not give us a good nights sleep!
The second morning we were awoken at 8am to scaffolding being taken down, the noise was horrendous! No pre-warning from staff, and no apologies.

The restaurant appears to not be open during the week, which meant no breakfast. Again, £100 a night, I would expect at least a slice of toast!

Finally we have emailed twice, to 2 different email addresses since our return to try and get back a phone charger we left in the room, which have been gone ignored. Extremely poor service.

I would advise anyone thinking of staying here to re-consider, there are plenty of very good local B&B's who can offer far more comfortable and more upmarket stays than this 'Luxury' hotel. We visit the area regularly and would not stay here again.

Room Tip: My best tip - Avoid at all costs. Far nicer B&B's in the local area
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank Alex O
verity c, Front Office Manager at Cranberries Hideaway, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Hello Alex
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, as you can imagine we are disappointed not to receive a higher rating and can only apologise .
Cranberries isn't a hotel and we don,t advertise as luxury ,can you advise where this is listed and I can get this amended for future guests. If guests arrive late we do ask them to call the owners who live on site to check in, these details are listed on booking.com so guests are aware. Housekeeping seem to have failed us by not putting in toiletries, this has been raised with them so no other guests have to experience this. The rooms are new build and were built under stringent building guidelines to eliminate noise, if the guests above were noisy again we can only apologise on their behalf . Our rates are room only and if breakfast is required we can arrange this for you, room only rates allows guests the flexibility of dining on or off site, a lot of our guests are visiting relatives and local restaurants so do not require breakfast on site.
Cranberries has not had any building work on site since last year so am astounded that you heard scaffolding as we have none on site this year at all. You did email me for a charger and I replied immediately, you then emailed again to which again I replied,
We are sorry again that you did not enjoy certain aspects of your stay and would like to welcome you back

Reviewed 14 September 2017

We stayed in The Hayloft and were attending a wedding over the course of the weekend. Accommodation was good for what we needed. It does seem there is an issue with all water in the self-catering apartments that if you run the hot tap before the cold you are unlikely to then get cold water so bottled it and stuck it in the fridge. A wifi code is available but you either can't get on or it then drops out really quick but if you go to Cranberries it is to get away from things and have some quiet time as it is a bit remote and the place has a relaxed atmosphere - staff quite laid back.

On the first night a meal for 20 people was pre booked. Food did come out slightly staggered but no real issues. Food fine. The bar was a little short of stock and the bartender did not really know what drinks were available unless we pointed bottles out to him.

Kitchen in The Hayloft was good included dishwasher, full sized cooker, microwave and washing machine. Comfy sofas and bed. Had what you would need.

Wedding ceremony went well with no known issues. Food and portion size good. Staff fine.

Cranberries Hideaway is a working farm but given this the areas where you walk are clean and tidy.

There is a farm shop around 15 minutes walk and they do serve good food if you do not want to eat on site or use self-catering facilities.

Glad we stayed here for the weekend, good views.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Justdoitnow_13

Hello
I have referred the water remark to maintenance who will monitor this
Our wifi is free and due to location, it can be intermittent and is not fibre optic
The wifi should be better once BT can upgrade us!
We do look forward to welcoming you back to Cranberries

Reviewed 11 September 2017

Following a long journey, my wife and I stayed in 'The Dairy' for 2 nights for a friend's wedding. When I went to bed at midnight on the first night I found the mattress was wet, which by then had soaked into my pyjamas too. Uncertain whether this was due to a previous occupant or because the bed was directly under a skylight, I moved downstairs to gain what sleep I could on the couch.
On reporting the issue the next day, the owner made a thin apology and shrugged it off as, 'one of those things' and seemed very unconcerned. The room steward could not have been more apologetic and changed all the bedding immediately.
On my return home I have written and phoned to the manager on numerous occasions during the last 2 months without a single reply, which I find extraordinary. I can only suggest that the management are not concerned when something goes wrong and are too busy preparing for the next event. Beware if you have a problem and don't expect too much!
The complex did appear run down and 'tired' and in need of attention and repair. The attic room in 'The Dairy' was very small with access by a very steep wooden staircase and past a metal pole supporting the roof. There was just room for 2 single beds under the eves but no provision for hanging a suit or dress. There was a small mirror that could only be used by kneeling on the floor. There was a shared bathroom with the couple downstairs, although the bathroom door could not be closed as the bottom hinge was broken
I reported to the management that the bathroom door was broken, and also that the fridge door (in the self-catering kitchen/sitting room) was broken and could not close, causing the ice compartment to be iced up (I see another report here for the same problem).
Great location, friendly staff and the event was a success. Shame about the after-sales service!

Room Tip: Avoid the attic room in 'The Dairy'. Too small, too steep and poor facility.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank AJH52

Hi
Thank you for your review, we can only apologise for your experience.
The previous occupants did leave the skylight open allowing rain into the Dairy, we did check the mattress before arrival and appeared dry. Our housekeeper did immediately replace the mattress once we were made aware of your issue,
The Dairy is a former lodge and is perfect for families, in this instance the bridal party arranged where guests would stay so can again only apologise if the accommodation wasn't suitable for your party
the fridge has since been replaced so no other guests have ice problems
We do look forward to welcoming you back for a more positive experience

Reviewed 5 September 2017

I recently got married at Cranberries and can honestly say the day could not have been any more perfect.

The staff all worked so hard to make sure that the day was amazing for us and it was.
To start, the set up was great, all hands on ready to help and suggest any helpful ideas to make things look even better.The rooms were incredible, we ended up using all the rooms in the complex and our family and friends were over the moon with the facilities, nice clean, spacious rooms, comfy beds with amazing views.
On the day everyone was directed to the correct areas, the bar was open in plenty of time for guests to have drinks (which were very reasonably priced) and the set up outside looked incredible. The staff made sure the registrar new exactly where we all were and that there was no stress before the wedding, The whole day ran smoothly the food was fabulous, we couldn't fault a thing, it was delicious and came out quickly with compliments all around from our guests. Everything was cleared quickly and staff were around to help the band set up and prep for the evening guests where we danced the night away.

Anyone looking at Cranberries for a weekend away or an event I would strongly recommend, I have stayed here several times and each time it has been noting but exceptional and I can't wait to head back and use the facilities again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank la42017
Reviewed 1 September 2017 via mobile

The location is stunning and within easy reach of Lyme Regis, Sidmouth and other good places to visit. The lady was friendly both on the phone and when we arrived. We had a couple of issues with the Dairy that I now see others have mentioned (water running hot and fridge not staying shut) but contacted the office after our first night and they sent someone that day to fix these. Overall we enjoyed our stay in the lovely apartment and would consider returning.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Hello
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review
We have changed the fridge in the Dairy when you highlighted the door, this will ensure no other guests have a dodgy fridge door
We look forward to welcoming you for a return visit to Cranberries