“Unwelcoming landlord!”

Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Kilmington
Price range: US$8 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A traditional 'chocolate box' thatched pub, warm and inviting atmosphere. Great homemade pub food and Palmers finest real ales. One of biggest beer gardens with superb views over the Axe valley, come and find the secret garden, great for families, dog friendly. A proper village pub in one of the prettiest places in Devon
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We popped into this pub whilst on holiday close by. Gorgeous looking pub and food was pretty good too but the landlord is the most miserable of men and could do with a career change, one that doesn't entail dealing with the public!
We asked if we could bring the doggy in and he replied with "only in the bar" which is fair enough but when it came to ordering food he was very rude and when he asked "what do you want with that" my husband said "what does it come with" and the miserable man replied with " what it says on the board"!! My husband turned to him and said "shall we just pay for the drinks and go?" He seemed quite shocked with the response and said "no" and his manner very slightly improved after that, but we will never go back there EVER! Shame, cos it's a beautiful pub. If you are looking for a much more welcoming landlord try the White Hart down the road at Wilmington. Welcoming and great food.

4  Thank Liefys

Reviewed 31 July 2014

My family have been enjoying the food and fine ales at the new inn for 25 years however since Brian and Denise retired last year the most miserable, clueless and rude replacement has taken over and frankly is driving the place into the ground.

The place is dirty, the food is terrible and the landlord is about as welcoming as indigestion. The lady in the kitchen provided entertainment that I can only compare with an episode of Fawlty Towers shouting at her husband ( the rude miserable one ) and it was just pathetic to be honest.

For the love of god Palmers change him out before it's to late.

8  Thank tonyste
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We have been visiting The New Inn for 20 years. The previous owners, Brian and Denise Jenkins, were wonderful hosts. Denise was a fabulous cook. The food was truly excellent and the toilets were spotless. Sadly since their retirement the new owners are miserable, unwelcoming and the place is generally dirty and not looked after. A crying shame. We went back for a meal (if you could call it that) tonight but it was cold, microwaved, tasteless and it took 90 minutes to serve 5 people. The new owners were arguing loudly in the kitchen within earshot of the customers ... though there were only 2 covers all evening - no more locals. Such a damned shame; we won't be going again :(

3  Thank Andrewshayes
Reviewed 1 July 2014

went there by default, not by choice. The landlord was surly and unwelcoming. Lots of choices of food, but not inspiring when it turned up. No atmosphere, will not be going again.

1  Thank John M
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My partner, his friend and I decided to get a quick bite one evening for something to do. The new inn is only down the road from us so we decided to try it, how bad can it be? We had heard mixed reviews from the locals about the new owners, but nothing quite like what we were about to experience...
So we walk in and head to the bar and are greeted or should I say not greeted by the landlord. My partner asks him "is it ok to get a bite to eat and have a couple of drinks?" To which this man replies in a confused manner "riiiiight?" We all just stood trying not to laugh to be honest but were a little confused our selves! The landlord then asked what we would like to drink. My partner and his friend ordered their drinks while I decided. I asked for a port and lemonade to which he replied miserably "that's a bit old fashioned". Again, we just stood and didn't really know what to say! Anyway, we order our food at the bar (we all chose steak and chips) and sit down. A while goes by waiting so we decide to order another drink. My partner and I head up to the bar to where an elderly man was sat having his pint, the landlord the other side with his...
We order our drinks and the landlord accidentally smashed a glass on the floor. He mutters to himself but doesn't do anything about it, he actually walked over the broken glass a couple of times! He finishes doing our drinks and then the CD player behind the bar starts to skip. The elderly man at the bar says jokily "ah, I think your CD player is skipping!" The landlord replies simply "C D E" confused, the elderly man says "um what does that mean?" To which he replies "can't do everything!" We just walked away. By this point, we thought we may be on some kind of TV show.
Our food arrives with a waitress who we assumed was the land lady.It was pretty bog standard, nothing special at all but probably not the worst either. When she came back to clear our plates the grumpy scary landlord came over and actually started an argument with her because she had turned the heating off and he was cold! Poor woman, she was quite sweet to be fair.
Our night was nearly over and it was time to pay the bill. Simple right? Nope. We split the bill down the middle and this was such a big deal for the landlord to figure out! We waited about 10 minuets for him to calculate it...we also noticed the glass from earlier was still on the floor.
So to summarise, it was really quite a night.

4  Thank Hayley A