A35 Pitstop, Kilmington
US$181
US$354
TripAdvisor
  • Spa
All reviewsbreakfast was includedpit stoplovely breakfastsunday lunchnew chefstopped overnightan overnight staybusy roadtea and coffee making facilitiessandwicheson arrivallyme regiscarverylockheatingaccommodation
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stopped here for breakfast whilst travelling from Dorset to Devon, this place is stuck in a time warp, and makes Little Chef look like a gourmet restaurant.
I had some sort of breakfast baguette which was pretty disgusting and only tasted of mushrooms.
The rather in your face owner (presumed) that served us was quite disgusted I didn't want the chips that were apparently an obligatory part of my choice, and suggested we should share them!
This is one of those establishments where the owners think it advisable to bombard you with don't do this don't do that, all breakages must be paid for information signs all over the walls and windows, not really very inviting.
But I took the advice of one and asked for the toilet code, I can only describe them as some of the filthiest I have seen in an eating establishment!
If this is an example of their standards I hate to think what lurked behind the scenes.
This was our first and last visit here!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Ive stopped here many a time, mainly limited due to there being no other places to stay and my parents were living just across the road (I dont stop with them due to lack of space and ensuring everyone has 'some space')

Overall its not a bad place to stop over and has been most useful for me over the past few years...

Check in: Easy to find where you need to go, but there isnt always someone there to help you. Often seems quite rushed in busy times and has led to mistakes here and there.

I always stopped in Room 4, because I needed a double room and it (was) the cheapest room available. However on my first night there I was given the key to the room, went straight to my mother and fathers, and then when I went to take my items up to the room that evening it turned out I needed TWO keys, as that rooms entrance is through a porch which also has a lock! Fortunately not the end of the world there was still someone locking up inside the cafe, but it could have been worse if no one had been in still! So just a word of warning check :) It does have a latch but obviously the people in the other room had turned that latch down on the inside causing me to be locked out.

The rooms are old, but fairly well furnished. In Room 4 there is a double bed, wardrobe with drawers, two side tables and a TV in the bedroom. The only bad things from memory was lying on the bed and looking up to see cobwebs in the corners. Otherwise the room is fairly clean, but could do with some modernising.

The bathroom was good, with a shower over bath, sink and toilet. One time I arrived and there was no loo roll so had to run across in the pouring rain the petrol station which thankfully wasnt shut yet and buy some. Another time the shower head was broken but someone came later on in the day to fix it (when Ive stayed its always been for 3 or more nights). The owner seems to be a good chap so if you can get to ask him things will be sorted. He said if he couldnt fix it he would upgrade us :)

As is the way with hotels right next to roads, it can be very noisy at night - pretty much all through the night as well, so if you are a light sleeper bring some ear plugs, or maybe ask if any of the rooms have beds that aren't up against the road window.

Not had a problem with heating and Ive used this room in both summer and winter and every time was a good temperature. Sheets are always clean, and on long stays they change them every few days.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
DavidPrestonNo1, Owner at A35 Pitstop, Kilmington, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thanks for your repeated stays at our Motel. I'm sorry for the bits you don't like, but the bits you do seem to outweigh them. Room 4 is on the road side, that is why it is the lowest priced double en-suite room we have. The others which are only £5 more are larger, and much quieter. Thanks again.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

My friend and I always call in here for a breakfast, think its the bumper one for £7.95? Anyway we always call in here before arriving at Great Dorset Steam Fair or anytime we are up that way. I can quite honestly say the breakfast's are hot fresh and delivered with a smile! We always go away satisfied. And always looked forward to the next visit!! Great little business! Well done

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
DavidPrestonNo1, Owner at A35 Pitstop, Kilmington, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thanks for the GREAT REVIEW, We truly value our many regular Customers and our Staff look forward to your next visit. Thanks again for taking the time to post this review.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Quick stop for a bite to eat on the way back home from a stay with family in Devon. Disapointed with the food. It was of poor quality put cooked well. Over £14 for one small breakfast and scrambled egg on toast is far too expensive for a crubby little greasy spoon

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
DavidPrestonNo1, Owner at A35 Pitstop, Kilmington, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Crubby little greasy spoon?????? Is that clever???? We have literally thousands of satisfied Customers every week, very many of whom return time and again and we are pleased to call them all Regulars. All of our freshly cooked breakfasts are CLEARLY DETAILED WITH THE PRICES on our Menu on your table. You know what you are going to get and what you will pay BEFORE YOU ORDER, you have the choice, there is no pressure. If you want something cheaper, we have a takeaway menu, you can eat in your car, still freshly prepared.
So why would any reasonable person choose a breakfast, then eat it, then pay for it , and then place a poor review when you are far, far away? We have a 5 STAR Top Hygeine Rating and wish all of our many, many Happy Regular Customers would post reviews to balance the picture a bit. Sadly, life is not like that and we are all so vulnerable to unfair criticism.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We Stopped here for breakfast on our way through to Devon where to start , service with a smile NOT , filthy dirty , food looked ok but my husband was so Ill and the toilets were vile do your selves a favour and don't stop here couldn't work the inside out cafe either trying to sell what could only be described as Exspensive car boot trash in the middle of the cafe and hygiene most certainly isn't there strong point

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Dramaqueen25

We are proud to hold a FULL FIVE STAR TOP RATING FOR HYGEINE. Our food is freshly cooked by experienced Cooks and is great value for money. We sell a range of Antiques and Collectables, mainly locked in glass cases, most of our Customers love to browse and many buy items to take home. Sorry if this one lady is unhappy.