A35 Pitstop, Kilmington
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Kerrington House(Axminster)
Fernhill Hotel(Charmouth)
Hotels.com
Hensleigh House(Charmouth)
Hotels.com
All reviewsbreakfast was includedpit stoplovely breakfastsunday lunchnew chefstopped overnightan overnight staybusy roadtea and coffee making facilitiessandwicheson arrivallyme regiscarverylockheatingaccommodation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Made a stop here for coffee on our way from Devon to Southampton - waitress struggled to be polite and was incapable of smiling, toilet code was only given to my husband after I confirmed that he was with me and that I had ordered coffees/ He considered the toilets to be less than clean. A lot of old house clearance style 'stuff' for sale which did not seem appropriate for a cafe. Strange place - stuck in a time warp - almost scary so worth a visit! However we did not stop here on our way home to Devon later in the day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Polly190768
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Booking necessary for Sunday lunch. The Chef served beautifully cooked meat, very generous portions and a choice of two meats for each diner. The vegetables were fresh and tasty, sadly they were cold even though we were one of the first few customers. Beautiful roast potatoes. The Chef/Manager is very friendly and the dining room is nicely laid out. We will be going back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stopped here for breakfast whilst travelling from Dorset to Devon, this place is stuck in a time warp, and makes Little Chef look like a gourmet restaurant.
I had some sort of breakfast baguette which was pretty disgusting and only tasted of mushrooms.
The rather in your face owner (presumed) that served us was quite disgusted I didn't want the chips that were apparently an obligatory part of my choice, and suggested we should share them!
This is one of those establishments where the owners think it advisable to bombard you with don't do this don't do that, all breakages must be paid for information signs all over the walls and windows, not really very inviting.
But I took the advice of one and asked for the toilet code, I can only describe them as some of the filthiest I have seen in an eating establishment!
If this is an example of their standards I hate to think what lurked behind the scenes.
This was our first and last visit here!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Ive stopped here many a time, mainly limited due to there being no other places to stay and my parents were living just across the road (I dont stop with them due to lack of space and ensuring everyone has 'some space')

Overall its not a bad place to stop over and has been most useful for me over the past few years...

Check in: Easy to find where you need to go, but there isnt always someone there to help you. Often seems quite rushed in busy times and has led to mistakes here and there.

I always stopped in Room 4, because I needed a double room and it (was) the cheapest room available. However on my first night there I was given the key to the room, went straight to my mother and fathers, and then when I went to take my items up to the room that evening it turned out I needed TWO keys, as that rooms entrance is through a porch which also has a lock! Fortunately not the end of the world there was still someone locking up inside the cafe, but it could have been worse if no one had been in still! So just a word of warning check :) It does have a latch but obviously the people in the other room had turned that latch down on the inside causing me to be locked out.

The rooms are old, but fairly well furnished. In Room 4 there is a double bed, wardrobe with drawers, two side tables and a TV in the bedroom. The only bad things from memory was lying on the bed and looking up to see cobwebs in the corners. Otherwise the room is fairly clean, but could do with some modernising.

The bathroom was good, with a shower over bath, sink and toilet. One time I arrived and there was no loo roll so had to run across in the pouring rain the petrol station which thankfully wasnt shut yet and buy some. Another time the shower head was broken but someone came later on in the day to fix it (when Ive stayed its always been for 3 or more nights). The owner seems to be a good chap so if you can get to ask him things will be sorted. He said if he couldnt fix it he would upgrade us :)

As is the way with hotels right next to roads, it can be very noisy at night - pretty much all through the night as well, so if you are a light sleeper bring some ear plugs, or maybe ask if any of the rooms have beds that aren't up against the road window.

Not had a problem with heating and Ive used this room in both summer and winter and every time was a good temperature. Sheets are always clean, and on long stays they change them every few days.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
DavidPrestonNo1, Owner at A35 Pitstop, Kilmington, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Thanks for your repeated stays at our Motel. I'm sorry for the bits you don't like, but the bits you do seem to outweigh them. Room 4 is on the road side, that is why it is the lowest priced double en-suite room we have. The others which are only £5 more are larger, and much quieter. Thanks again.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

My friend and I always call in here for a breakfast, think its the bumper one for £7.95? Anyway we always call in here before arriving at Great Dorset Steam Fair or anytime we are up that way. I can quite honestly say the breakfast's are hot fresh and delivered with a smile! We always go away satisfied. And always looked forward to the next visit!! Great little business! Well done

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
DavidPrestonNo1, Owner at A35 Pitstop, Kilmington, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Thanks for the GREAT REVIEW, We truly value our many regular Customers and our Staff look forward to your next visit. Thanks again for taking the time to post this review.