“This cafe is never going to win any prizes but the food was fair and the staff obviously try to please.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Kilmington Cafe - CLOSED

Kilmington Cafe
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Hove, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

We stopped here out of necessity as we were driving to Devon and there seems to be a complete lack of road side stops along the main road... then you reach this cafe.
I hate to be rude, however - had it not been for me being about to wet myself - the garish neon frontage would have put us off going inside. The building looks like an old little chef restaurant that has been repainted. The inside appears not to have been redecorated for a good 20 years. And yes other reviewers - there are reviews for this cafe under its other listing as accommodation? - are right, there does seem to be a jumble sale taking place in the restaurant which is quite off putting.
However, whilst the restaurant inspector might have a fit sorting this place out, the food I received was adequate. I ordered a sandwhich and thats just what I got. The staff were polite and certainly tried to please. It is a good honest simple cafe that is reasonably priced.
I wouldnt plan to come back, however I wouldn't avoid it!!

• Visited October 2013
DavidPrestonNo1, Owner at Kilmington Cafe, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thanks for the review. Sorry you do not like the Collectables for sale, but the amount we sell makes it very clear that most of our Customers love it!
All of our sandwiches are always served with Salad garnish, Coleslaw, Tortilla Chips, and a big smile from our staff. What more would you expect? Please let me know and I'll see what I can do!
Thanks again.

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Shame it chooses to shut so early”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Had used this place a few years ago, and we were more than happy. This time however, we arrive with lots of signs outside saying 'Cafe Open', however after parking up and venturing inside, we find that they've stopped serving food. We returned to the car and the car clock said 18:00. Now this was a Saturday evening, during the school holidays, so I would have thought that there was a lot of potential trade about, particularly as this place is the last place to top up the nosebag, on the left hand side of the road as you travel westwards, until you've passed Exeter and heading down the A38. Unless of course you like Motorway Services or feel happy using a pub, but then a lot of pubs don't start food until 19;00.
If you are closed, put up a sign that says so, so as not to waste peoples time.

Thanks for submitting your review. In response I can only wish that your estimation of the potential traffic on the A35 in the evening were a reality. If it were we would surely be open much later. Sadly careful monitoring over many years has not shown this to be the case. Again, I truly wish it were. Thanks again.