“Excellent location....shame about the food.”
Review of Kilmington Cafe - CLOSED

Kilmington Cafe
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Long journey to SW and Kilmington Cafe seemed like a convenient place to re-fuel.
Very disappointing cafe experience, reminded me of 1970's lorry drivers cafe....but with higher prices !

1  Thank Roganteen

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were on our way back to Devon from a family holiday around lunchtime, so were starting to be a bit hungry and in need of a comfort break. We missed the turn off for a Little Chef a few miles earlier and thought this place would do. We parked up and went in. The first thought we had was that there was an odd smell - not what you'd expect from a 'bistro' as it claims, but somewhere off of a sweetened version of a school dinner hall. The walls were brightly painted, and as another reviewer has said, the display of on-sale collectables seems odd in the middle of a cafe. We had a look at the menu which seemed to offer quite a bit of roadside cafe type food - just what we wanted really. We ordered 2x burger and chips (with salad and chef's own slaw) and a cod and chips. We were told there was no cod, so settled for 3x burger and chips at £8.95 a piece. When it arrived, the burgers were more rectangular than round with the texture of a packet hotdog, the tablespoon's worth of 'slaw' was average, the salad looked tired and from-a-bag and the chips weren't anything to write home about - for the price paid, one could expect a touch better - I have had nicer and cheaper burger and chips from the National Trust.
While we were there, a man came in for a bottle of coca cola. Which they had sold out of. My husband and I had bought the last two bottles of sprite, and despite an impressive array of Monster and other fantastical cans and bottles, nothing that resembled a coke or lemonade. When the man settled on a 500ml bottle to take away, the charge of £1.95 to him was ridiculous - he put it back and left. Subsequently, I checked the price of our drinks and was taken aback - yes, the price was clear enough but you trust when you quickly order a drink that you won't have to pay £4 for two non-alcoholic drinks!
Meal done, we decided to use the ladies before we went on our way. Being behind a combination-locked door made me think, 'blimey, these should be plush!' but I was so very wrong. After asking for the code, you enter a long, smelly yellow corridor, and eventually you veer off to your own toilet. Unflushed toilets and wet floors aren't particularly the fault of the cafe, however if you're going to charge this much for your food and drink, you'd think they would take care of their toilets more.
From reading the staff comments on earlier reviews, there's definitely a feel of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares about it - that there are elements of this cafe scaring customers away (namely price, toilets and "antiques") but if you look through rose-tinted glasses, all is fine. I won't be visiting again - there's loos in the garage opposite and cheaper sandwiches. This place only has 2 stars from me because I feel bad about saying anything negative - hopefully it'll be viewed as "constructive criticism!"

1  Thank AquaAbound
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Whilst the food we chose was of a good quality, sadly the price paid was "overpriced" for a roadside cafe.
Panini and salad £6.99, plough mans at £8.95....
Very dated cafe with remnants of car boot jumble for sale on tables in the cafe?
But, the gents toilet which is reached via a combination lock was the worst possible surprise...
The stench of urine was overpowering as you entered making it almost impossible to use.
I see other reviews have also commented on this, so why no clean up?

DavidPrestonNo1, Owner at Kilmington Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2014

Now you see what the future brings!

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

This place looks like quite an old style cafe and it is. I mean that in a good way. If you want fancy small meals then this isn't the place for you. If you want a hearty, well cooked meal at a decent price then this is the place for you.

I come here regularly with my kids and have introduced a lot of friends to it too. I have had most of the menu and have never had any complaints. Same with everyone else that has come with us.

Last time we went we had 4 children with us. The staff were great with them and they do a great kids menu at even better prices. I love the fact you can get hot drinks at child sizes.

The staff are great and really friendly. The services is quick.

Don't be put off by the yellow outside- definitely worry a visit!

Oh and you get a big mug of tea not a tiny little cup which any serious tea drinker will appreciate :)

Thanks for the great comments, shame we are being booted out in two weeks!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We travel from Hampshire regularly and this is must for us, food is great value and there is loads to choose from, for all dietary needs.
They even have a separate room for a carvery, which I do recommend, with the added bonus of it tasting home cooked

Thanks for the review, one of the last I expect before we are thrown out!