“Good”

Hill Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sudbury
“Good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Clean rooms, very friendly staff and good breakfast. It is a nice and cosy family-run hotel. The walls were thin and the bar could be better (it was a little bit old). It is not far from the center of sudbury.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Cosy small fairly intimate kind of place, seems to have a total staff of two + cleaner, all friendly and helpful we enjoyed our stay, they could make much more of the bar area would be my only comment (This is my opinion, this is not a critisim) the rooms are a tad on the small side and the shower is a wet room that does not always work well in a small enviroment but all in all great value very reasonably priced, clean, very comfy bed, lovely breakfast well situated all for a very modest sum, do not be afraid to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed here on Saturday night before a visit to the Essex food show the next day. The welcome was lovely, the rooms were small but perfectly adequate and extremely good value. The lovely owner recommended a local India restaurant and gave us a map to find it - don't believe here if she tells you it is a 15 minute walk - took us half an hour !! Breakfast the next morning was very nice, lots of choice of fruit salad, yogurts etc., very nice orange juice and delicious cooked breakfast. She let us put our ice packs in the freezer overnight ready for our cold bags to purchase our goodies from the food show. The hotel is on a main road and the traffic is noisy so bring earplugs - but overall, this place was a real find and a delight, we will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Having planned a last minute trip to a Tudor re enactment day I wanted to stay really close to where I was visiting so I could just crash after a full day. I was totally floored by the cost of some of the accommodation over £100 for a night.

My needs were simple a room with my own ensuite thats all, so I was quite surprised and quite sceptical to find Hill Lodge only wanting less than £40 for a nights accommodation and full english breakfast included. The pictures on the sight really made me feel nervous, what was I letting myself in for.

I neednt have worried however the place does looks quite rough from the road due to the broken up driveway and unkept gardens, however this DOES NOT reflect the inside of the Hill Lodge Sudbury.

I was greeted by a lovely lady who soon had me in my room, simple and very clean with a clever ensuite/we room with lovely shower gels etc.. Later when I had returned with my dinner, another lady who couldnt do enough for me sorted out plates and cutlery.

It was a very hot night but nice breeze through the windows - of course it was noisey but what do you expect off the road - and I always take ear plugs when away, but didnt need them this night.

Breakfast was nothing short of a total surprise, fresh real coffee is my only requirement in the morning and they delivered with lots of freshly made pots of lovely coffee, (and Im a VERY fussy coffee drinker) along with any other beverage you wanted to make for yourself including hot choc etc and all fresh juices. Loads of fresh fruit and yoghurts a REALLY REALLY lovely fresh fruit salad which must have had over 9 types of fruit. I succumbed to the full english cooked breakfast and was glad I did it was terrific, lovely fresh tomato, large slice of lovely bacon, a nice meaty little sausage, made to order eggs, fresh mushrooms, hashbrown, beans and a selection of toast.All served by a very lovely lady who remained calm and friendly even with really annoying and demanding hungover party. This was in a lovely light bright, welcoming airey breakfast room with no cooking smells (I hate smelling the kitchen )

I would stay here again in a heart beat!! Well done ladies you should be really proud

The little door person is a delight - small dog - think name is poppy!

Room Tip: see if you can get a room to the rear of the property
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank weaverscottage
Stevenage, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Very friendly and helpful with good rooms and surprisingly quiet. They were amazingly helpful when confronted with the need to store 6 bicycles and gave good advice about local restaurants. The price is excellent value and the location is central. Thoroughly recommended. Especially for the great staff.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

We arrived on the doorstep on an early Saturday evening, hoping beyond hope that there would be a room available, as we'd already discovered that most of the hotels in Sudbury had been booked up, due to three weddings happening that weekend. Unsurprisingly, the hotel was fully booked, but the kind and generous owner was the /only/ person who took pity on us, despite having tramped around for hours and being turned away at every opportunity. We'd been caught in the rain whilst kayaking on the Stour and by now were just desperate for a warm shower. At the end of our tether, I could have kissed this charmingly generous lady who offered us the opportunity to make use of a bathroom for half an hour. It made such a difference - we went from gloomy and despondent, to being really cheery and I'm delighted to say it was one of the best days out I've had in a very long time ... and we owe a lot of that to the owner of the hotel.

It was only slightly disappointing that there were no rooms available for us to stay overnight, to give a little back - but if the staff are as accomodating as this, I can only imagine our stay would have been delightful!

Many thanks for helping out some strangers in need, and we'll *definitely* come knocking, hopefully with a bit more notice(!), next time we're in the area. :)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank samwiseuk
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel, which is more of a large guest house with a bar and an agreement with the local leisure centre for use of their facilities. The welcome was good, the room was spacious, the beds extremely comfortable. there was enough wardrobe/drawer space for our weekend visit and spare pillows/duvet. Also an ironing board and hair dryer. The television was good with freeview channels, but we only turned it on for the news so I didn't explore further. Tea, coffee, decaff coffee, sugar and milk were provided in sachets. There were plenty of plug poiints, so recharging a mobile phone or plugging in a laptop presented no problems. The hotel provides a password for wifi.

We were lucky enough to have a reasonably spacious ground floor room at the back, which overlooked a patio and past the fence a huge next-door neighbour's garden which was more of a manicured field. We weren't overlooked. A door led out of our room onto to the quiet patio. It had some tables and chairs which was handy for my smoker husband. Best of all, it led round to a sunkissed garden. The garden is close to a BMX park, but there was minimal noise from it and certainly not at night.

Our en suite bathroom was very warm and not cramped, though the toilet was right by the door which opened inwards - the designer must have had a hangover that day. the shower head was up high and i had to get my husband to reach up to get it down so that i could rinse bits of me, it was adequate but ran off the taps and not that powerful.

Breakfast was 7.30 to 9am weekdays and Saturdays, to 9.30 Sundays. There was a very good selection of cereals and condiments, including jams, marmite and chocolate spread for toast. On Saturday and Sunday there was also a fruit salad. Coffee came from a percolator machine and there were sachets for tea and decaff coffee. I asked for soya milk, which was not available, but I had given no advance warning so if you drink this please do so as I'm sure they would have done so otherwise. The cooked English breakfast was plentiful and good. The egg yolks were a deep yellow, which is a nice change from the pale offerings of most b&bs. Sausages, bacon, baked beans, tomato, mushrooms and hash browns were also on the plate. Then there was toast. On the weekend we stayed, the bar was very busy on Saturday from the afternoon through till we got home at midnight. Whether it went on after that I cannot say, we heard nothing.

One thing I should mention is the owner's dog. When you first arrive, it comes running up barking. This only happened when we first arrived and is in the nature of warning the owner of an arrival rather than anything else. It got a good sniff of us and that was it. A nice friendly little dog but with a habit of trying to sneak into the breakfast room - due, the owner told us, to guest's children plying him with sausages and other titbits in the past. We frequently had to tell it "Out!". I found it quite amusing, but tell the owner if you don't like dogs and I'm sure she'll keep it out of your way.

the hotel is manned most of the time, but if you arrive back late at night (usually after 11), you'll be issued with a pass number to key into the front door. You need to turn the latch on the device at the same time as turning the door handle below.

Location-wise, the hotel is a short walk from the train or bus station, across a roundabout and up an incline on the righthand side. the pavement on the righthand side of the hill peters out after a short walk, so keep to the leftside pavement and cross opposite the hotel. The uphill walk is very short (2-5 minutes on average) and not steep. The roundabout at the bottom of the hill also leads straight into town.

The town - Sudbury is a little hilly, It's not too bad but anyone who has difficulty walking needs to be aware of this. The tourist information is inside the corn exchange (now the library) the big white building facing the church. The church isn't remarkable and was empty inside when we visited.

Sudbury itself is a sleepy little town with some historic buildings and surrounded by water meadows. There are a few chainstore shops (eg New Look, Holland & Barrett), several nice-looking individual shops and quite a few charity shops. Opposite the church and corn exchange is a historic pub which is reputed to do good steaks, there's a Wetherspoons pub in North Street with a paved enclosed outside patio, but we found the Bay Horse in Melford Road whose garden overlooks the water meadows and does some excellent nachos (and b&b).

Attractions - We arrived on a sunny Friday before the first bank holiday, walked down to the theatre and granary to find it closed, however the theatre was open evenings and the granary tearoom was open on sunday and bank holiday monday when we walked down there. we could not do the long lunchtime journey as it was fully booked. health and safety regulations mean that seating on the boats is restricted, so book well in advance. we did the shorter trip to the lock which was peaceful and worth the trip.

Most visitors to Sudbury will discover the Mill Hotel in Walnut Tree Lane, at the other end of town to Hill Lodge. Its setting is wonderful, overlooking the mill pond and water meadows and is a good place to relax, have a drink or eat.

Sudbury is surrounded by water meadows and you can walk right round the outskirts of town thanks to a defunct railway line. Cattle are allowed to graze on the water meadows and we saw quite a few. Sudbury is the birthplace of Gainsborough and you can visit his house during opening times.

Food - We were only there for a bank holiday weekend, but we found an excellent restaurant for our first night. The Secret Garden was superb and thoroughly recommended. Booking probably essential, it's popular and was fully booked on Saturday. We also ate at The Mill Hotel (okay rather than outstanding) and Thompsons (ditto).

Public transport - buses non-existent on Sundays and Bank Holidays, trains run every day, end station on the Gainsborough Line. We spent a bank holiday afternoon in Bures, also on that line. A quiet village with a couple of pubs, the river and a church, not much else.

Lavenham and Long Melford - you can get to both these places by bus from Sudbury. Lavenham is a must-see, especially the Guildhall, and I think the pub adjacent to it has just been taken over by Marco Pierre White. Do the town walk, starts at tourist information. We had a fantastic meal in one of the pubs in the High Street. Find an excuse to nose around Swan hotel if you can. The high street is full of interesting shops and wonderful tea shops. Long Melford would be an ideal place to go on a pub crawl. again plenty of individual shops to nose around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sudbury
The Mill Hotel
#8 of 16 in Sudbury
The Old Rectory Country House
The Old Rectory Country House
#1 of 1 in Great Waldingfield

Been to Hill Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!