“Had great times there”
Review of Hill Lodge Hotel

Hill Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sudbury
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I used this hotel quite a lot ,years ago when jim and anita french owned it , always enjoyed it and the company in the bar at night, the food was great. Does anybody know if linda from norwich still visits the place

Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed 25 August 2013

i stayed here for 2 nights back in june and tbh it was the worst stay i have ever had. the bed was hard, hairs all over it. very disappointed. breakfast wasnt the greatest either id rather eat at weather spoons and its much cheaper there.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank ashby13
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Clean rooms, very friendly staff and good breakfast. It is a nice and cosy family-run hotel. The walls were thin and the bar could be better (it was a little bit old). It is not far from the center of sudbury.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Cosy small fairly intimate kind of place, seems to have a total staff of two + cleaner, all friendly and helpful we enjoyed our stay, they could make much more of the bar area would be my only comment (This is my opinion, this is not a critisim) the rooms are a tad on the small side and the shower is a wet room that does not always work well in a small enviroment but all in all great value very reasonably priced, clean, very comfy bed, lovely breakfast well situated all for a very modest sum, do not be afraid to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed here on Saturday night before a visit to the Essex food show the next day. The welcome was lovely, the rooms were small but perfectly adequate and extremely good value. The lovely owner recommended a local India restaurant and gave us a map to find it - don't believe here if she tells you it is a 15 minute walk - took us half an hour !! Breakfast the next morning was very nice, lots of choice of fruit salad, yogurts etc., very nice orange juice and delicious cooked breakfast. She let us put our ice packs in the freezer overnight ready for our cold bags to purchase our goodies from the food show. The hotel is on a main road and the traffic is noisy so bring earplugs - but overall, this place was a real find and a delight, we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Having planned a last minute trip to a Tudor re enactment day I wanted to stay really close to where I was visiting so I could just crash after a full day. I was totally floored by the cost of some of the accommodation over £100 for a night.

My needs were simple a room with my own ensuite thats all, so I was quite surprised and quite sceptical to find Hill Lodge only wanting less than £40 for a nights accommodation and full english breakfast included. The pictures on the sight really made me feel nervous, what was I letting myself in for.

I neednt have worried however the place does looks quite rough from the road due to the broken up driveway and unkept gardens, however this DOES NOT reflect the inside of the Hill Lodge Sudbury.

I was greeted by a lovely lady who soon had me in my room, simple and very clean with a clever ensuite/we room with lovely shower gels etc.. Later when I had returned with my dinner, another lady who couldnt do enough for me sorted out plates and cutlery.

It was a very hot night but nice breeze through the windows - of course it was noisey but what do you expect off the road - and I always take ear plugs when away, but didnt need them this night.

Breakfast was nothing short of a total surprise, fresh real coffee is my only requirement in the morning and they delivered with lots of freshly made pots of lovely coffee, (and Im a VERY fussy coffee drinker) along with any other beverage you wanted to make for yourself including hot choc etc and all fresh juices. Loads of fresh fruit and yoghurts a REALLY REALLY lovely fresh fruit salad which must have had over 9 types of fruit. I succumbed to the full english cooked breakfast and was glad I did it was terrific, lovely fresh tomato, large slice of lovely bacon, a nice meaty little sausage, made to order eggs, fresh mushrooms, hashbrown, beans and a selection of toast.All served by a very lovely lady who remained calm and friendly even with really annoying and demanding hungover party. This was in a lovely light bright, welcoming airey breakfast room with no cooking smells (I hate smelling the kitchen )

I would stay here again in a heart beat!! Well done ladies you should be really proud

The little door person is a delight - small dog - think name is poppy!

Room Tip: see if you can get a room to the rear of the property
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank weaverscottage
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Very friendly and helpful with good rooms and surprisingly quiet. They were amazingly helpful when confronted with the need to store 6 bicycles and gave good advice about local restaurants. The price is excellent value and the location is central. Thoroughly recommended. Especially for the great staff.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sudbury
The Mill Hotel
Black Lion Hotel
Black Lion Hotel
#3 of 3 in Long Melford
The Case Restaurant with Rooms

Been to Hill Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!