“A good experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bay Horse

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Bay Horse
Ranked #7 of 16 Sudbury B&B and Inns
Bedford, United Kingdom
“A good experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

We needed a base for four nights as I was singing in a concert and had a lot of rehearsals. We were looking for somewhere cheap but were a bit daunted by some of the reviews. However we went ahead with the booking and in fact had a very good four night stay in room 5 which is attached to the back of the pub. It was extremely good value for money. The room was clean and well appointed (the heater worked fine) and the staff were friendly and helpful. When the pub was open we were able to have drinks and a good light lunch. I liked the atmosphere there.
I'm not sure what some of the reviewers were expecting for the price. Of course it was noisy when there was a booked band on Saturday night but this stopped well before midnight. So thanks for a good stay

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Folkestone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

There are good points and bad points about staying at The Bay Horse.

Good points: The room was very clean and tidy. A somewhat basic room, but satisfactory for staying over night.

Bad points: Hospitality is nonexistent, upon getting our key we were told which room was ours and basically had to get on with it ourselves. Very brisk, next to no communication.

They don't serve breakfast! Odd for a B&B... Surely the term B&B suggests that breakfast is involved?

Our room (room 4) faced the main walkway that people have to use to get to the garden & car park. We didn't have any net curtains and often found people peering in as they walked past. We felt a bit exposed and privacy was limited. Naturally we didn't want to shut the curtains during the day.

Over all it's OK for a quick overnight stay. Two nights maximum, don't expect a warm welcome like their website suggests. Not bad... But not great, but then I suppose it was relatively cheap.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I usually like cheap and cheerful pubs with hotel rooms, especially as you are only ever staying due to an event you are going elsewhere. But such was the awfulness of my nights sleep I had to right a quick negative review! So first, its cheap to book so you get what you pay for, small room with bed, desk, tiny shower en suite and old radiator plus a worried looking fan. Not the worse thing, but as we were there in December, we needed the heating on....and this was the beginning of the end in terms of getting a good nights sleep! The noise from the old radiator was horrific! Plus we were scared it might blow up and burn the room down! So after awfull night, we were not offered any breakfast so headed straight home. Not the best, but cheap and easy if you just need a bed to crash after a boozy night

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brad C
Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

Stayed for one night when visiting Sudbury for a wedding. Stayed in Room 4 which was classed as a 'superior double'

The rooms are separate from the hotel (except room 5) so as long as you are in one of these rooms you will not have any issues with noise. We had a peaceful nights sleep.

The rooms were clean and we felt secure. They were on the cold side, but 2 electric heaters were provided which heated the room up fast.

My only complaint was that the cups we were provided with for tea and coffee were dirty...you could tell they had only been rinsed in the bathroom as they were caked in tea scum! This did put a downer on the stay because it's a sign of lazy/rushed cleaning.

The owners are very welcoming and helpful, and the pub itself is a very busy, friendly local pub which serves food during the day. Not sure if it served in the evenings but it was so rammed on the night we stayed it was impossible to tell!

The checkout is late (12pm) which was just what we needed after a late night wedding party!

I was expecting the room to be a lot bigger, seen as we paid more for it for being a "superior double". However I realised for £50 - £55 a night I really can't be fussy! It just does what it says on the tin - clean, very convenient location and cheap.

I would stay here again. Looks right across the water meadows, which, when not completely flooded I am sure it looks beautiful!

Room Tip: Choose room 4. Avoid room 5.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Fareham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

I always read the reviews here before staying anywhere and the previous reviews here put doubt in my mind. I opted for this anyway as it was 3 minutes from where I was working. I stayed in room four which as I understand is the room with disabled access. The bed was hard but that's not bad as I prefer a hard bed and slept well both nights. The room was clean and tidy and stocked with tea and coffee plus on my arrival someone had obviously been in to warm the room first which was very much welcome as it was a cold evening.
The town for food and pubs is less than a few minutes and I would recommend the hot wok as a Chinese takeaway if you are looking.
I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Andy G
Tenerife, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Rooms 1-4 are in a custom built block in the car park of this pub. Room 5 is basically part of the cellar, underneath the pub kitchen. When anyone walks across the kitchen floor, residents of room 5 can hear it. We were unfortunate enough to get this room on a saturday night when there was a Halloween Party in the pub with a live group. Loud music went on until 11.30pm and you could hardly hear the TV in room 5. Even after the group finished, you could still hear background music and talking until well into the small hours. The room itself was reasonably comfortable but the ensuite bathroom was unheated and rather cold. Yes it was cheap at £35 but I would advise anyone to avoid this room unless they are completely deaf. In the morning you leave keys in a mail box in the car park so there is no opportunity to give feedback

Room Tip: Stay in Rooms 1-4 if available, it will be a little less noisy
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pinkwally
Redruth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Our party of 4 booked 2 rooms number 2 and 3 very acceptable competitively priced and our pet Jack Russell who had her own pet bed was accepted.Lovely gardens at rear nice location.After a long journey from Cornwall the rooms lifted our spirits.A Chinese meal from next door and our own breakfast set us up nicely.The week following 2nd sept till 9th was great weather to relax in while boating will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sudbury
The Mill Hotel
The Black Boy Hotel
#5 of 16 in Sudbury
Bridge Street Historic Guest House
The Case Restaurant with Rooms

Been to The Bay Horse? Share your experiences!