“A lovely hotel”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sudbury
London
“A lovely hotel”
Reviewed 14 April 2012 via mobile

We booked this hotel for a weekend away. We are getting married nearby next year and are looking for a hotel to base ourselves and our guests at and so decided to test this one out.

I must say we were both delighted with the hotel. It is located in a lovely area. The staff were fantastic. The food at dinner was of a really high standard and the service was superb, helped along by the restaurant manager who kept everything running very smoothly. Breakfast on both mornings was really good. On one morning there was no room in the restaurant, moments later we had a table laid for us in the bar with lovely views over the meadows. The staff clearly work hard and as a result we found the general level of service to be excellent.

The newly refurbished bar, restaurant and terrace of the hotel look fantastic. The room we were given was a little dated but clean and comfortable. It would be ideal if, in the ongoing refurbishment, the rooms are refurbished to a similar standard to the public areas.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone including our wedding guests for next year.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank alanpartridge1
dan_wilson99, General Manager at The Mill Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments which I have passed onto the staff.

We have now started refurbishment on our bedrooms to ensure that they are modernized but still keeping the charm of the property and mill.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Dan Wilson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Booked months in advance for a family wedding held nearby as I wanted two rooms next to each other for my almost grown up children to be close at hand. Rang a couple of days in beforehand to check that all was in order with my booking and was assured that it was. Arrived after a very long journey at around 10pm to be told that one room was on the 2nd floor in the main "Mill" part of the hotel and the other room was on the ground floor in the extension - basically very far apart. Receptionist said nothing could be done as the hotel was completely full. I asked for the manager. While waiting another traveller arrived and his reservation was also incorrect, he was told the same thing, that nothing could be done. Some 15 minutes later, after not having seen the manager, miraculously 2 rooms next to each other were found (curiously the traveller behind us also had his insoluble problem resolved). Passing through a glazed corridor which had been shot by air rifle pellets, we finally we got to our rooms which had minuscule bathrooms with broken bath panels, mouldy tiling and loos that took an age to refill. The wallpaper was peeling the carpet was stained and there were scrapes out of the wall from the backs of the armchairs. However at least the beds were comfortable. On both mornings of our stay despite being down to breakfast at 8.30 (serving until 9.30 on the first day and 10am on the 2nd) the dining room was full and we had to eat in the bar, pastries had run out ,as had bowls, fruit and some cereals. The bacon was cold. Hot drinks and toast were brought to your table - once you had managed to hunt down a staff member. Getting a 2nd cup proved problematic as I ended up with the remains of my coffee topped up with tea. Discovered that other guests at the wedding also staying here had similar problems checking in - a "family room" should I believe have more than a double bed in it, the suggestion that they could all share did not go down well. Another guest received an un-asked for wake-up call, I wonder who was left sleeping? The setting is quite lovely and the building is very attractive. I understand a refurb is in progress and the public areas are nicely done but this really felt very expensive for the quality of the bedrooms and level of service.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
dan_wilson99, General Manager at The Mill Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I am somewhat surpised the need to comment on other travellers stay to boost your review.

Your comments are of some suprise to me and were not mentioned on check out.

There are obviously some issues that I would like to discuss and would kindly ask you to make contact with me at the hotel on 01787375544.

Kind Regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My husband and I booked the hotel through a KGB voucher. On arrival we were pleasantly surprised to be shown to our room almost immediately. The rooms are tired and could do with some TLC, but the view was beautiful. Unfortunately we had terrible pillows in the room and I left with a terrible pain in my neck, but did tell the lady on reception and she said she would tell housekeeping. My only gripes were with breakfast. On both occassions we had to ask for coffee and toast. Nobody once came and asked us if we needed anything etc. I also felt if I am honest a bit rushed. The staff seemed to want to get the breakfast things cleared away as soon as possible. We were also told it was better to come down early for breakfast or we might not get seated!! We had a meal in the restaurant, which I must say was wonderful. The chef is excellent, but again I felt the staff have the opinion that there doing you a favour being there.

I had also told the lady when we booked that I was in the middle of cancer treatment and my husband and I were celebrating our silver wedding that weekend, so thought maybe there might have been something nice laid on as a surprise, but no nothing.

On the whole we had a nice time, but certain things do let this hotel down.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I can assure you, on terms, do we ever want you to feel rushed. I am sure to mention this at our next staff meeting later this week.

I hope that we will soon see you again here at the hotel and for you to enjoy yet another stay.

Kind Regards,
London
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Decided to take up an offer from Groupon and booked a stay at this hotel on a special offer. It didn't take too long to get there and when we arrived we were pleasantly greeted at reception. We were shown to our room (41) where there was a bottle of Prosecco waiting for us - just a shame it wasn't in an ice bucket! The room itself was very small, and the bathroom was particularly small and the two of us could not get in there at the same time. The toilet in the bathroom took forever to refill so we had to change our toilet habits as you couldn't flush every time you went!! I did tell this to the hotel reception before we left but I don't know what they can do about it. However, the view from our bedroom window was fantastic! We had rolling fields, pathways, river and blue sky! It was lovely. There was tea, coffee, drinking chocolate and biscuits in the room which was fantastic for us as we love that sort of thing, especially if you feel a bit peckish in the room. Breakfast selection was ok, though we've had better but what there was, was fine, I'm just being fussy! There was cereals, toast, hot breakfast as well as fruit and croissants, so the choice was very good. We had a fabulous meal in the evening which was included in our special offer, however, I ordered the salmon starter and I didn't like it very much! But the rest of the meal was fine. There's a lovely old fashioned bar where you can have a drink and look out onto the lovely scenery or you can go and sit outside and watch the world go by. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a really nice place to stay. The staff are really friendly and go out of their way to be nice and helpful. Lots of smiles from the staff which was nice. We went to visit Kentwell Hall which we'd never heard off but was fab. The bed was really squeaky every time you moved! Apparently there's a very good golf course nearby but I don't play golf!

Room Tip: I would ask for a bigger room when I next stay here (which we intend to do). Ask for a room with the...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
dan_wilson99, General Manager at The Mill Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments and I am so glad to hear that you had a great time.

Please be assured that I will ensure that Room 41 and its toilet is looked at (thank you for bringing this to my attention)

We are going through a £2million refurbishment where all the rooms will undergo a refit.

Shame your not a fan of golf. We have recently agreed a partnership with Newton Golf club that allows all of our residents to enjoy a 9 hole game with discount.

Please, when you look to visit us again, make direct contact and I will ensure that you have a large room.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Reviewed 3 April 2012 via mobile

We visited for a family wedding last Saturday

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Checking in was quick and efficient. Room was tired but comfortable.

Atmosphere in bar was good and we were extremely happy that the bar was open on our return at midnight.

Breakfast was great and service was impeccable

Sure to eturn during the summer as sun terrace would be a great hit

Stayed March 2012
dan_wilson99, General Manager at The Mill Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Thank you so much for your great review.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that next time that you can experience our new sun terrace and excellent evening restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Earlier this year my wife and I booked a romantic night at the The Mill hotel in Sudbury, the room we booked was a superior double with dinner and breakfast. On arrival to the room and after we did the unpacking a 'tapping noise' was heard which turned out to be water coming through the extractor fan in the bathroom.

After some coming and goings by the staff we had to move rooms, the hotel was fully booked this night and they only had 1 room available to which we were shown.
Well I was lost for words initialy, the furniture had handles missing, the decor was awful, and was not even half the size of the room we booked and to cap it all there was a bit of I think stair well in the room by the bed which you could not see in the dark and my wife cought her toe on it, and the bed well 'speachless'.

We decided to continue with the stay ( my wife wanted to leave)providing the resturant was satisfactory if not we were out of there, well the food and service (particually by the Manager) was very good which was the hotels saving grace.

On leaving the resturant we spoke to the hotel manager who had heard of our problems and following discussions with him we were not charged for that night. We also booked the following two weeks later (Valentines) to give the hotel another chance. Again this was at the managers invitations so no charge to us.

I have to say before I retired part of my job was in Customer Service and this manager Dan Wilson knows what looking after the customer is all about and is an asset to this hotel chain, without his foresight and attuide we would not have returned.

Since our last stay we have booked a number of dates during this year and I am confident that all our future stays will be of a high standard.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Norman G
Thank you so much for your kind review on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that you had such a bad experience but am over the moon that from then on, huge improvements were made that you will be coming back for further visits.

We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

essex
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel for on a Friday and Saturday night. The communal areas of the hotel are very nice and it is in a lovely setting overlooking a river and countryside however the rooms really let this hotel down. We was in room 515, and wallpaper was coming off the wall by the radiator, there was mould in the bathroom and the whole room smelt quite badly of damp. When I checked for all our belongs when we were leaving discovered toe nail clippings under the bed!!! I would stay here again but only if the rooms were refurbished

• Stayed March 2012
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

The hotel is currently undergoing a £2million refurbishment for which the bedrooms will be targetted and under go a full refurbishment. This is due to be completed no later than the end of the year.

Please, next time you visit, book directly through me and I will ensure a bedroom that has been refurbished.

Dan Wilson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sudbury
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
#2 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Hintlesham Hall
Hintlesham Hall
#1 of 1 in Hintlesham

Been to The Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!