1,372 results
All reviewscream teaafternoon teano liftwater wheelwater meadowsold millsuperior roomoverlooking the riverthird floorevening mealbar areatravelzoo offersconeslovely locationgroupon dealglass of proseccomain building
Reviewed 14 November 2017

My husband and myself stayed here for 1 night as we were attending a nearby family wedding .. I was very unhappy with the cleanliness and general standard of our room during our stay.

On entering our hotel room to quickly drop of our bags i will be honest apart from noticing the glass walkaway from reception being filthy and the blind in our room being screwed up/ wonky i did not pay much attention to the actual room as we were in a rush as we had just driven quite a long way.. and it was getting nearer to the time of the wedding so we literally ran in and out... and we then returned later that evening in the dark.

But the next morning when i awoke i started to notice a number of things that personally i do not think is acceptable for a room in a hotel claiming to be of this standard and for the amount of money being charged !

Blind cords and attachments hanging from the wall with visible screw holes and marks ( also not to mention that if a young child was staying in this room this would pose a serious safety issue)
Numerous cobwebs
Filthy marks near to door and on other walls
Peeling laminate under the sink and near to the toilet
Dirty toilet and grubby wall near to the flush handle
Hairs attached to the wall behind the towel rail and another type (THAT TYPE!) of hair by the sink
Dirty tea cups ... these looked like they had been rinsed but there was still residue of watery tea/coffee at the bottom of the cups.. so clearly not rinsed very well...

As you can imagine if i had seen all of this previously i would of contacted reception but i felt as we had now "stayed" it was pretty pointless asking for them to rectify the situation... i did however intend to bring it up with reception at point of checkout but unfortunately the groom (who unfortunately also stayed there) was standing in reception when we were leaving and i did not feel that it was right to complain / make a fuss at that point and to put a dampen on what had been a lovely weekend for them. ( may i note that i was not even asked by the lady on reception if we were happy with everything / had a good stay ?)

I feel very resentful that i have had to pay to stay in a dirty/run down room, needless to say we did not stick around for breakfast... i just couldn't bring myself to eat in the establishment when i knew how dirty the rooms were! we instead chose to go to another nearby hotel for breakfast.

i have since emailed the manager (over a week ago)... and they have not even bothered to respond..

Save your money - stay at another hotel in town (other members of our family did and they paid half the price and had a much better experience and there rooms were modern and clean !).... the Manager/staff here are obviously past caring..

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
themillhotel, Manager at The Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

Dear mela493

I recently took over as GM the Monday after you stayed with us and have been trying to contact you by email regarding your original comments which echoed those you have posted above on TripAdvisor.

I'd love the opportunity to discuss your experience if you are able to call me directly at the hotel on 01787 375544 or alternatively when you get a moment reply to my email that I sent on the 15th November.

Reviewed 13 November 2017

After a very long and tedious journey caused by issues on the railway network I was completely exhausted and was due to arrive in Sudbury late at night. Once I knew what time I was getting to Sudbury I tried to ring for a taxi to the hotel from the train station and simply could not get one. I rang the hotel, to see if they could recommend someone and they offered to come and pick me up from the train station. A lovely lady Lorraine was waiting for me as I got off the train. I mentioned what an awful journey I had endured and that I was looking forward to a long hot soak in the bath. She explained that some rooms only had showers. On arrival Lorraine checked and I was due to be in a room with a shower only. No problem whatsoever Lorraine swapped me to a room with a bath, so I could have that long soak. Then she even organised for me some food to my room, as the restaurant had closed.
Lorraine went way and above what most hotels would have done. She epitomises what customer service should be. Thank you does not seem enough for all her help that night.
My room was absolutely lovely, as were all the communal areas within the hotel. It had everything I needed for my stay and was very comfortable. The breakfast was fresh and plentiful. The hotel is in the most beautiful of settings and I will return for a nice long weekend there soon to fully enjoy it.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank p0llyw
themillhotel, General Manager at The Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

Dear p0llyw

Thank you so much for the review and the fantastic feedback about your recent stay.

Our wonderful setting as you quite rightly state is beautiful but the thing that really sets our business apart is the team here and as you mentioned Lorraine epitomises warm and friendly hospitality.

Lorraine continually goes above and beyond and I will ensure she is personally recognised for your feedback.

Look forward to welcoming you back to The Mill Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

We stayed here for 2 nights.
Our room was quite roomy and welcoming. The shower water could have been hotter even on full heat. We had the complementary tea and coffee etc but didnt buy from the room tray as it was overpriced.
Dinner was very good with lots of choice.We enjoyed the meals very much. Breakfast was lovely too. Waiting staff were very accomodating and friendly. The decor was modern and restful throughout. We would certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: You will need to state when booking if you want the Mill pond/Common views as this is a busy Hotel and they get booked up quickly.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear K D

Thank you very much for the feedback, myself and the team here are delighted you enjoyed your time away spent with us.

We pride ourselves on our standards and am thrilled that you enjoyed your meals in our Riverside restaurant.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to The Mill in the near future.

Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

So a one night business trip.
Room was very small, with much needed repair.

I was out for the evening, and went for breakfast the next morning, was welcomed at breakfast with no other comments from the host.

Yet come to check out after breakfast, when asked was everything ok, I informed the receptionist that the bedroom had cobwebs in each corner with bugs trapped, no apology just “oh I will tell the housekeeper “

Then I notice I had been charged circa £12.5 for breakfast. Which for 2 bacon and 2 sausages 1 coffee is expensive even by Suffolk standards. If the breakfast host had told me breakfast wasn’t included in my room rate on arrival at the breakfast room rather than crossing my room number off with no further comment (booked by my secretary not me) I would of retreated.

When I make comment to the receptionist I am told she can discount it to the continental rate of £7.95, not sure if am to supposed to be grateful for this.

Being regular to the area, I won’t return, and will do what i should of done and headed a few more miles out of town to the pheasant.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank ClarkeHicks

Dear ClarkeHicks

Thank you for your review and comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I'm extremely sorry to learn of your disappointment with our breakfast service and that there wasn't total clarity about the charges involved. I will pick this up with the Operations Team as a matter of course.

Our breakfast is charged at £12.50 for a comprehensive cooked breakfast and we feel is very extensive and appropriate... offering juices, tea/coffee, wide range of cereals and fresh fruit along with a comprehensive cooked buffet plus toast, local preserves and pastries. I'm sorry you felt it poor value for the few items you enjoyed.

With regards to the cobwebs I'm extremely sorry that they were missed and we are continually checking our cleaning standards in every bedroom I assure you.

Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

Lovely setting for a hotel. We stayed in room 502 in the annexe and it was very private and secure.The shower was a bit outdated but worked okay.
Staff were a bit hit and miss some were friendly some not quite so.
Would definitely recommend though.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
themillhotel, General Manager at The Mill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Dear Sue B

Delighted you came and stayed with us for a birthday treat and enjoyed our position on the banks of the River Stour. Thank you for your feedback which will be shared with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Mill in the near future.