“Watch your wallet...”

Ranked #7 of 16 Sudbury B&B and Inns
Oswestry, United Kingdom
“Watch your wallet...”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

We have stayed at this accommodationon on two occasions both of which were fine. However, i booked our last stay via a phone call having first checked the prices on the hotel's website which was (and still is) shown as £45 per night. The landlord confirmed he had two twin rooms available but shortly afterwards rang me back to say one had just been booked and as twins were popular I needed to be quick to book the remaining room. I rang back an hour later and booked a twin room,for two nights commencing 3 days after the booking; leaving my credit card details so that the payment of £90 coiuld be taken. The price was confirmed by the person taking the booking and no price increase was mentioned at any time in either conversation.
We duly arrived and had a good stay in a comfortable, clean room. All around the bar the room rate was confirmed as £45/night on the menus, and this information was repeated in the room.
On our first night the only other guest was a gentleman staying in a single room who checked out before breakfast, On the second night we were the only two guests. Therefore the story about the other twin room being booked started to ring alarm bells. I suspect the subterfuge was to encourage us to book quickly.
Imagine my surprise on receiving my credit card statement last week to find that £110 had been taken by the Cock instead of the agreed £90.
I rang the Cock and explained the error to the landlords daughter who told me that although her father was away, she would ring him and call me back.
Having not received a call after 4 days, I rang the Cock and spoke to Chris, the owener. He told me that the price had gone up 2 months previously. When I pointed out that the Website and the information in the Cock still showed £45/night he said that it was too expensive to reprint menus (I did tell him that he could stick labels over the old price and indicate the change he was not impressed.
Despite a long phone call, his only response was that if we went back, we could have a free meal. Hardly viable since we live 200 miles away. He refused a refund of the overcharge, so my only recourse is through my credit card company. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT PRICES CHANGE WITH NO PRIOR NOTICE AND WITHOUT EVEN BEING TOLD HOW MUCH IS BEING DEBITED FROM YOUR ACCOUNT. My advise would be not to believe the published price, no matter how many times you see it written down.
There is nothing wrong with the accommodation but this experience has left me feeling totally ripped-off. It feels as though the intention was to deliberately deceive.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lesley2435

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2012

11 of us from Cleethorpes went to the Cock Inn and Cock cottage for a weekend. Chris the host was amazing, nothing was any trouble. Great breakfast.... hope to visit again soon. Good value drinks too :)... thanks everso

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank joby21
Yangebup
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We were looking for a hotel in an old english villiage and saw this one. The villiage is a bit more 'modern' than we expected but there were still a number of old buildings around that made a walk down the street worthwile.
The hotel itself was good. We couldn't find an open door to the hotel and ended up in the kitchen where we signed in. Oh well, that's what makes these country pubs unique.
The room was a little small but it was still comfortable and nicely furnished.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the food in the hotel was good.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2012

e stayed here as its location was ideal for our needs. We were greeted by the landlords father, who was very helpful and polite. Our room was a cottage annex and adequate for our stay. It was clean and provided exactly what we needed. The bed was comfy and facilities good. The food was good and we had no noise problems.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Sutton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I stayed here with my sister in mid August on a Saturday night. I had to raise a complaint regarding my stay at The Cock Inn and I also requested a refund as we had a very upsetting experience with the stay and especially the Landlord. I will summarise my concerns as per my complaint. I haven't had a proper response from Booking.com to date, so i am now writing this review. I have waited some time in the hope that it would be resolved.
We arrived on Saturday night and went through the Beer garden to check in. There were towels or bath mats drying on the back of the garden furniture, in the Beer Garden, which had people in it, drinking and smoking.
We checked in to our room, which was meant to have a Flat screen television in it, as per our confirmation. It didn't. It had a tiny tv, up in the corner of the room which only played the radio.
We used the shower and the shower head was loose so the water was projecting straight downwards instead of over your head. The shower drainage wasn't working and the shower tray filled up completely. We both had to stop our showers and stand in there to wait for the water to drain away.
We decided to try the food in the pub and ordered fish and chips. Unfortunately my sister was concerned that the fish may not have been cooked properly as it was so watery. I ate half of mine but she asked for hers to be cooked for a bit longer. The Barman was really lovely and really accommodating and in the end he made her a cheese sandwich.
We went to bed but unfortunately the noise from the patrons was incredibly loud, which I did not mind as i thought it would end at 11pm. However, I discovered in the morning that the bar didn't close until 1pm. Something we'd not been made aware of.
Also, the beds were very uncomfortable and the ceiling highly creaky, all of which did not make for a good night's sleep, we were both so tired.
In the morning we went in for breakfast and we knew the Landlord didn't seem very pleased to see us.
We sat down and the table although set for breakfast was dirty. I asked the landlord if it could be cleaned please. He firstly denied the tables were dirty and told me that they are checked at the end of the night. I said that unfortunately the table was still dirty, could it be wiped. He wiped the half of the table that was empty, I had to ask him to wipe our places. All of the other empty tables were also dirty, I did check as i would have moved if there was a clean one.
When the breakfast came the bacon was very undercooked and i apologised and said that we should have said before, but could it be cooked a bit more to be crispy. He was not impressed.
He eventually brought the breakfast back and was very sarcastic and said that he 'hoped everything was now to my saisfaction'. Overall the breakfast was fine though
We went back to the room and t was then in the daylight we discovered stains on my pillow cases.
We packed our stuff and I went in to talk to the landlord. I purposely waited for him to have finished serving the breakfasts as he had seemed really stressed and sweaty through breakfast
I asked him if i could please talk to him about our stay, He said what and made me repeat myself 3 times
we went outside and I asked if we could sit down as he was towering over me, he is very large, i am 5ft2
I said that i wanted to give him some feedback about stay
i began my letting hi know we didn't have the TV as per our confirmation and the problems with the shower. At the point he interrupted and said 'let me tell you something, i've been in this business 14 years, and I have never had any complaints about my fish, i get the fish fresh from .....'
I began to explain to him that i wasn't planning on talking to him about the food as that was resolved the night before.
He told me that no one had ever complained, I'd made a fool out of myself and made myself look stupid. He complained that I had asked for the tables to be cleaned but then said 'okay i'll give you that one'
I said to him that he' obviously didn't want to listen to anything i had to say'
The conversation was really really unpleasant, he was very aggressive and scary.
He said no one else had any problems it was all me
I told him that in fact some of the other guests had been sharing their stories of their unhappiness at breakfast but there was no way that they'd talk to him now as they could probably hear their reactions
I left and threw the key at the floor as he was still calling me a fool, so i got into the car and he continued to come at me saying that i'd 'been sent by someone'
I said if I had been sent he wouldn' have shown himself in a good light
He was so rude and hostile, I was so glad that we had the car running.

I am so disappointed with our stay and want to request my money back please. I would never recommend The Cock Inn to anyone, why run a business based on customer service when you can't handle listening to feedback. We didn't get a good night's sleep, or good food and the customer service was atrocious. I reguarly review places i've been to and stayed on Trip Advisor, and all my reviews are fair and balanced.

I asked Booking.com to consider dealing with such a man as I'd be concerned what lengths he'd go to to 'protect' his reputation. It has also made me wary of booking through their site unfortuantley as I wonder what checks are in place to mitigate against something like this and I've still not had a response from them.

I know it's lengthy but I really would warn travellers not to bother with this place or that man.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank NinaMeeks
Harrogate
Reviewed 27 August 2012

A very enjoyable 2 night break here. All the staff - and extended family - go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Nice room, with very comfortable bed, good facilities - tea/coffee, Freeview TV, and complimentary toiletries.

The steaks on Tuesday evenings are simply to die for! Both my hub & I opted for the Sirloin, which was cooked to absolute perfection, melting in the mouth - and we are fussy about how we like our steaks! Such fantastic value too - just £10.00! A pity we live such a distance away, as we would visit regularly for these alone!

Lovely cooked breakfast in the morning, with cereals & toast if desired, which sets you up for the day. Delicious, freshly made cafetiere coffee, refilled upon request.

Lots of others seem to agree with us, because this B&B is fully booked we believe for the next 2 months plus, and who can blame them at £45.00 for B&B for 2 people?! Well done Chris & keep up the good work, we are sure you'll never be short of business. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
oxon
Reviewed 27 August 2012

clean room, friendly staff and excellent breakfast. Will definitely stay again 20 mins from Stanstead and close to Bury St Edmunds where we had a nice day shopping. The pub was good value for money though no food on a Wednesday evening.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sudbury
The Mill Hotel
#1 of 4 in Cavendish
The Bay Horse
The Bay Horse
#8 of 16 in Sudbury

Been to The Cock Inn Glemsford? Share your experiences!