“Faultless, well worth the trip.”

The White Horse Inn Edwardstone
Ranked #12 of 95 Restaurants in Sudbury
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: This traditional Suffolk pub is situated on the edge of Constable Country on a minor road in the small village of Edwardstone, Suffolk. We have featured in the 'Good Beer Guide' for getting on for 20 years, and also appear in the 'Good Pub Guide'. A winner of CAMRA's 'Pub of the Month', Silver Awarded for 'Green Tourism' for our Self Catering chalets, and well known for having the world's most eco-friendly micro-brewery on-site. The White Horse is also a haunt of real ale enthusiasts, walkers, cyclists, campers and those who enjoy seriously good food in a wonderful rustic environment.
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Called in early on Thursday lunchtime on a last minute whim. Excellent "home brewed" beers and an interesting menu. Build a burger option much appreciated. Venison burger cooked to perfection as was the pork belly with fennel in cider. This was good food coked to order, not mass produced "fast food" so the 30 minutes or so wait was not an issue. In fact it gave us time to savour the beer.
Our visitor from Kent loved the whole country pub experience and I'm sure we'll return.

4  Thank Spicey1076

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Good country pub with brewery attached. Good range of beers and ciders. Dropped by for Sunday lunch and everything was cooked to perfection. The pear poached in orange perry dessert is a must! If I had any criticism it's just a tiny teensy one....the vegetables although cooked well were just carrots and broccoli. I would have liked to see something a little more interesting but this certainly didn't detract from the overall experience. The owners are obviously working very hard to ensure good standards. Keep up the good work. We will return!

3  Thank HobbyHolidays
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I went to the White Horse 4 Eddy Fest and again in September and all I can say is "Fabulous"....Food was amazing and at a reasonable price, staff were very accommodating and what a lovely venue. I have and will continue 2 recommend the White Horse 2 both family and friends......

5  Thank Zeebee-5
Reviewed 23 October 2013

A hidden gem! Fantastic food tonight! Venison pie! Wow, the meat just melts in your mouth! Worth every penny how refreshing to eat out and enjoy the whole experience of good food, friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere! Keep up the good work, will definitely be back soon!

4  Thank Nessgane16
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Have been here a several times and each time I've hoped it would be better than the last...but can't really say it has been. We have been as a family and with friends/family for drinks and food. Primarily, it's the attitude of the bar staff which lets it down,

The food is ok, once it arrives, although It's probably a good idea to check they haven't 'run out' of anything before you order though, just to save time - including ordering early in the day/evening.

It is the service that really lets it down - One time we arrived, soon after the pub opening time and after ordering drinks, went back to the bat to order our food. We were told, in a very unapologetic, carefree style, that the chef hadn't arrived yet and we could order and would have to wait. Only when we asked how long the chef would be did they think about phoning him to find out. Fortunately, we weren't in a hurry and understood the situation - but didn't appreciate their unhelpful attitude to a situation which could have been handled in a more customer friendly way!

Another time, we asked if our children could have a slight amendment to their food choice (nothing too difficult, chips instead of mash, but were just refused.

Generally, we have found the bar staff to be 'distracted' and rude and this includes times when the pub is quiet and not many people needing their attention.

Disappointing because the potential is there for this pub to be far better...

2  Thank Tellmetellme
John N, Manager at The White Horse Inn Edwardstone, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

I am very concerned to read your comments regarding staff attitude and would like to apologise for it, I hope it is now a thing of the past as I have taken action to put it right. I think your comments are probably looking back over quite a long period because I don’t think our present chef has ever been late, that I can recall. I know it is not enough to have a great county pub with its own beer and good local food if the people that face the customer are not being professional in their attitude. You are obviously a fairly regular visitor, I hope on your next visit you will notice the improvement in staff attitude, if in the future you have any reason for complaint please do not hesitate to talk to me. I hope you will make yourselves known to me when you next visit and accept a round of drinks for your family on me . Thanks Tash. (Landlady).