“Sunday Roast at Good Traditional Pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hare Inn

The Hare Inn
Ranked #16 of 93 Restaurants in Sudbury
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Cheap Eats, Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London
“Sunday Roast at Good Traditional Pub”
Reviewed 14 November 2012

To the Hare Inn in Long Melford for Sunday Lunch with my Mother and my two sons, the Hare is a large village pub on the outskirts of Melford, opposite the entrance to Kentwell Hall. I often overlook the Hare but it is quite refreshing to go to a pub that is still traditional, dark wood and horse brasses, sells proper beer and has a lack of the ubiquitous neutrals that adorn the walls and woodwork in the current raft of gastro pubs in the area. The food too is pretty traditional; being a Sunday they had three roasts on the menu, Beef, Pork and Lamb at around £8.95 but the menu also had some other traditional favourites such as Steak and Kidney Pudding which I have promised to myself the next time I visit. In addition there are a number of dishes on the menu of normal pub grub staples by which I mean something with chips and peas meals.

With the exception of my youngest who had scampi with chips we all had Roast Beef with Yorkshire pudding; the food was good, sort of what you would expect at this price point and in this kind of establishment but well done. The service was polite and efficient on a busy Remembrance Sunday; you do have to go to the bar to order but no problem with that. The boys finished with a sticky toffee pudding and profiteroles with Ice cream, my Mother and I stuck with a cheese board; a bottle of wine and a couple of drinks before that and a couple of liqueurs with coffee completed the order which came out at just under £23.00 a head. The ambiance was good and we were cosy next to the wood burning stove. Based on this visit I would recommend the Hare for a non pretentious Sunday Lunch with family and friends.

• Visited November 2012