“Very disappointing”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 August 2014

As a party of four we were very disappointed in the meals served to us last night. The starters were OK but nothing special - the soup was lukewarm, prawn cocktail nothing like as good as previously served. During a significant wait for our main courses, we heard several diners complain about the temperature at which the chilli was served and after being reheated in one case was inedible. This did not bode well. Two of our party had steak, not being asked how we wanted it cooked was a clue I suppose! The chilli although hot - as they had worked out why it had been served warm - tasted more like a Bolognese sauce with no chilli heat at all. The fish was dry and the batter was overcooked. However, the desserts were delicious. Unfortunately with the Black Lion and the Crown down the road we will not be eating in the Hare again which is a shame because it was often a place to pop into if we didn't fancy cooking.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We were pleasantly surprised at how much lighter the pub appears now the wood-panelling has been painted.

Disapponted at only 2 choices for the £8.95 2-course lunch . 3 out of the 4 of us went for the Fish pie and we all enjoyed it. The desserts were quite good also.

It was a warm day and we felt a little cramped in the restaurant so we didn't stay for a coffee/tea.

Service was ok but didn't feel it was worth a return visit.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Following a walk to Long Melford from Lavenham we had lunch at the Hare which is conveniently situated at the end of the walk. The menu contained standard pub listings but the ploughman's seemed cheap at £5.95, compared with over £8 at more trendy, touristy pubs. I ordered a stilton ploughman's and was told to select a second item - cheddar, ham or beef; so I ordered ham. When it arrived, not only did it have the cheese and ham, the plate also contained plenty of salad as well as cold slaw, pickled onion, celery sticks, apple slices and spring onion. All this on top of very friendly and helpful service and Green King IPA.

1  Thank Mallacootaman
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We decided to visit the pub one evening as we fancied a game of pool- a good a reason as any! The pub is beautifully furnished, with a mixture of exposed beams and more traditional rooms. Bar staff are friendly and welcoming and the pool table is great.

We booked for Sunday lunch as the food served looked so good but due to unforeseen circumstances had to cancel the table. We decided to revisit again for more pool and had a meal. Portions are good size- chips at £2.00 were good value and crispy. I had a version of hunters chicken (with mushrooms as well as the BBQ sauce, cheese and bacon) which was delicious. The cheese could have been cooked more and the broccoli was a bit overcooked. I don't really like broccoli so that was a good excuse to leave it!!

I really like The Hare- its a great pub, pleasant to be in, good food, reasonable food and worth a visit- especially after a visit around Melford Hall

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I have had several meals (and drinks) at The Hare, over the years. Always found the food to my liking- good pub food. I had heard that the pub had recently changed hands so I was a bit wary when I went there again today with my sister and brother in law for lunch. The first thing you notice is that it is much lighter and brighter in there now- the dark wooden paneling has gone, much more appealing. The menu has understandably changed but the food is still good, plenty of choices for all the family. We all had the cod and chips which was very good - the plates went back empty. Plenty of good choices for desserts. Service was good. Large car park at the side.
There are many places to eat in the village but The Hare is (still) worth the trip.

3  Thank Essexmanager