“Fantastic”

Price range: US$5 - US$24
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Waggon & Horses, Sudbury. A town centre pub with a difference, at The Waggon, we pride ourselves on providing a great mix between pub and restaurant. A great selection of well kept real ales are always available, with Growler bitter on as our house ale, the other 3 hand pulls regularly change showcasing some of the best ales from around the country. The menu offers a range of dishes, to suit all tastes and offers fantastic value for money. Everything is prepared on-site, right down to the homemade bread. It is all cooked to the highest standard, the same standards set by our 2 AA-rossette sister restaurant The George in Cavendish where our head chef, Robert Smith has moved from. We have a large dining area away from the bar, as well as more secluded booth areas for a more intimate feel. The 'den' - our two back rooms, provide the perfect place to cater for private parties and functions or just a quiet lunch. The menu changes often to reflect the seasons. We always have a large selection of specials to choose from on the blackboards and we are currently offering to fantastic lunchtime deals. The set lunch menu is priced at just £10 for 2-courses and £12.50 For 3-courses. If you're after a quick bite in your lunchbreak you can get a sandwich, a side and a drink (beer, wine or soft) for just £7.95. With Christmas fast approaching, look to The Waggon for the perfect place to celebrate. Our Christmas party menu is available and we are taking bookings. Priced at just £15 for 2-courses and £20 for 3-courses, why not celebrate your work's Christmas party or family get-together with us. Situated in Acton Square, just back from the high street, The Waggon & Horses is right next to the main car park in Sudbury, so parking is never a problem.
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Outstanding food, nice and fresh, friendly staff that make you feel welcome and comfortable, will be visiting again, well worth it.

There are newer reviews for Waggon & Horses

Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I have lived in Sudbury for four years and though we had walked by the Waggon and Horse several times during that time, we had never eaten there. A friend recommended the restaurant to us last week and we went there for lunch last Sunday after church. Thank you, Trisha, we thoroughly enjoyed every bite. The service was very good, the food was excellent and we will go back frequently. We both had a Sunday roast, I had the beef and my wife had the pork. Excellent!

1  Thank Gerald P
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I'd heard good reviews about the food at the Waggon and was intrigued as I hadn't been since it reopened some months ago. I was slightly apprehensive as it owned by a chain but can honestly say that it had the feeling and attention to detail of a private family run business.

We arrived slightly ahead of schedule and were seated quickly and offered the drinks menu right away. The wine prices were very reasonable and kept chilled in an ice bucket. The food was fantastic and great value for money. I had the rib eye steak and wow, melt-in-your mouth good. My girlfriend had the chicken and it went down a treat. I was tempted to have a starter as the menu looked great but I'm pleased I didn't as the main course portion size was more than adequate.

The staff were all very friendly and attended to our every need quickly and very politely. Quite refreshing considering it was a Saturday night and the place was busy, both the restaurant area and the pub areas, inside and out. I must mention one particular member of staff, Matt, who was very professional and more than happy to drop everything to answer our questions.

To wrap up, we had a lovely meal in a lovely pub and will be coming back very soon. I would recommend the Waggon & Horses to friends and family and anyone interested enough to read my rambling review.

2  Thank James W
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Took my family to the wagon today for lunch, nice friendly staff & well mannered (some of the other pubs in town take note)
Our table had roast pork, burger, fish fingers & bangers & mash, all very nice and served hot and fresh, washed down with a good choice of beers, Well done to all the staff
Definitely recommend eating here. ...

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Had a great meal at the Waggon & Horses on Saturday evening. It was very busy but the staff still managed to joke and laugh with us especially the wonderful Aden. Great atmosphere and made very welcome. Two courses for two of us and three courses for a third person, plus drinks for £73.00, very good value. Two had the homemade pate which had large lumps of meat, delicious, with warm rolls whilst I had the crayfish cocktail. Large portions. Asked for chips instead of mash, no problem. The table next to us said her blue steak was rare and straight away cooked a complete new meal for her, no fuss. On the whole it was a great evening and will certainly go back regularly. The beer was excellent. Well done!