“Rather poor, lazy and lacking attention to detail”

Crown Wetheral Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wetheral
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The facilities were good (the pool and gym), but we found the reception staff to be a little curt and not that helpful. The rooms could have been slightly more luxurious (rather basic for my tastes) and one of the rooms was not well prepared (water, biscuits, tea and towels for single rather than the booked double occupancy). Generally lacking attention to detail.

We mentioned at time of booking that we had two vegetarian people - and the hotel offered to get in some veggie alternatives for breakfast (eg, sausages). Unsurprisingly, such alternatives were not offered and not available as agreed.

Finally, I have a preference for settling the bill upon check-out rather than at arrival, especially when the credit card details have been taken at the time of booking. There is also some noise from the nearby railway if the bedroom windows are open and the is no air conditioning. Best to avoid the rooms on the railway side.

Room Tip: Get a room on the non-railway side
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Jewelscrown, General Manager at Crown Wetheral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your recent review. I will contact you personally to discuss your points.

There are newer reviews for Crown Wetheral Hotel

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed in the village for one night on our way to Scotland, not far from the M6, welcome was warm and helpful, the room clean and very comfortable, the pool although a little chilly was great for a short burst of exercise and the jacuzzi warm and relaxing. Breakfast was good, although the cooked breakfast was a little disappointing. A lovely place to stay, and just as I remember from years gone by, but not dated at all.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your recent review I am delighted to hear that you this was a return visit for you and that you received a warm welcome.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with the cooked breakfast received, please be assured that I have brought this to the attention of my team and we will use this feedback to ensure that we improve on this.

I look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I chose this hotel which is close to Carlisle because it is rated number 1 in tripadvisor. I cannot understand why. Maybe somebody will explain these ratings and how I can spot the fake ones. Look at the hotel's site and you will see a beautiful rural inn inviting you to partake in the idyll. What you get is a room in the 70/80s extension by the car park. Best described as corporate
It has 4 AA stars. That's another mystery. At one time 5 stars was exceptional and 4 meant extremely good. Now it seems every pub with rooms gets 4 stars.
Having got that off my chest, the rest is quite acceptable so it still gets 3 stars. The room was however quite good. Comfortable bed, reasonable amount of light, chairs--- the absence of which is the norm not the exception. Dinner and breakfast were OK. Staff cheerful although probably dreadfully underpaid.
£70 bed and breakfast on a Sunday night so not overpriced.

Room Tip: The lady at the desk said you request a room in the original part of the hotel. But how would you kn...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank davidnkaye
Jewelscrown, General Manager at Crown Wetheral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your recent review. I take all reviews and observations very seriously and be assured I have passed on your comments to my team which we will take on board and react accordingly. Can I apologise for any shortfall that you experienced during your stay.

Your Sincerely

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We discovered this gem of a hotel due to my husband having to work in the local area and wishing to have a little break away with him. I'm really glad we chose to stay here rather than Carlisle as it is perfect for a family.

The leisure facilities are a real bonus and help to keep the kids entertained. Staff are incredibly polite and helpful with all aspects of your stay and so welcoming towards children, which isn't always the case in other hotels. Other guests also had a lovely relaxed attitude towards children and the whole hotel seemed to have a lovely family feel to it.

The location is great and it was so simple to get into Carlisle by train as the station is only a minutes walk from the hotel. Walks around the village are also really pleasant and there is a well-equipped playground just a five minute walk away from the hotel.

We had a family room which was spacious and didn't feel at all cramped due to the bunk beds not taking up as much room as the usual arrangement in most hotels of a pull out bed for children.

A great stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank familytraveller16

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your recent review I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your time with us at the Crown and that my team looked after you both in the hotel and in the leisure club, I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you all to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Me and my Lady Dian had the pleasure of staying at your hotel last sept. Everything was Great. But I much mention Sue Murray made are stay so enjoyable with her smile and grace. She is a keeper . The food was tasty and the scenery Grande. I nice swim in the indoor pool then off to the pub for a good old English pint of lager and a splendid meal. The room was clean and comfy and the bed just the way we like it. " Bouncy " When we come over again from Canada we will be sure to look up the Crown Wetheral Hotel again. 5 star. Thankyou.

Room Tip: Close to the train station and wonderful well kept gardens. Excellent Breakfast. The barman was jol...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnny n

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your recent review. I do agree with your comments Sue is certainly a star and I will ensure that your high praise is passed which I know will make her smile.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Let it be known that this review is based on a solo traveler point of view. The village of Wetheral is a few miles miles from the beautiful city of Carlisle,Cumbria England. The train station is a hop-skip-and a jump from the hotel. First of all the staff: Very professional and helpful. I had a "user error" problem with the fan and the manager immediately remedied the problem. The staff was also really helpful on travel trips in the general area. The room it self was very spacious and exceptionally clean. I had an absolutely delightful window view of the green garden, which had a multitude of songbirds of which I am not familiar with (coming from the San Francisco Bay Area). It it quite unfortunate that I did not have breakfast at this establishment, since the allure of Carlisle was a quick train ride away. Now, the surrounding area: The village is quite small with really nice homes. There is only one cafe and one...or maybe two pubs. (one of which makes really good food) There is also a quaint area down a flight of stairs in which one can take a pleasant walk along the water. (It basically takes you past the "Wetheral viaduct" and a small waterfall.) So in conclusion, if you are looking a pleasant, peaceful and quaint place to stay...the Crown Hotel Wetheral is an excellent choice.

Room Tip: One should book early as this establishment can be very busy during "peak times".
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The surroundings and area which is not far from Scotland or the Lakes is great. Stayed here whilst working in the area, staff are friendly and helpful, food is excellent and the stay was great value for money. I will be back

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Jewelscrown, General Manager at Crown Wetheral Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Good Morning

Thank you for your rewarding review, I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed staying with us whist you have been working in the Carlisle area. I have passed your comments onto my team.

On behalf of myself and my staff, I would like to thank you personally for your continued loyalty and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Paul Hicks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wetheral
Crown & Mitre Hotel
#16 of 20 in Carlisle
Dalston Hall Hotel
Dalston Hall Hotel
#15 of 20 in Carlisle

Been to Crown Wetheral Hotel? Share your experiences!