“High praise - well deserved!”
Review of Domaine Michaud

Domaine Michaud
Ranked #1 of 1 Roullens B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 March 2013

This gorgeous country hotel/b&b deserves high praise!

There are excellent views from Domaine Michaud - La Cite of Carcassonne can be seen in the distance as well as the Pyrenees and also the immediate rolling countryside's fields and vineyards. The domaine has ample grounds to wander or sit out in, a pool for the summer season as well as plenty of country pursuits to enjoy.

The hotel has been beautifully decorated and furnished. The large lounge and dining room are comfortably elegant and the guest rooms peaceful and relaxing.

Dining chez Michaud is most definitely of gourmet quality. Yolanda Danen presents a surprise menu dinner every day. Each course is exquisitely prepared and artistically plated. We couldn't imagine finding a better restaurant so chose to dine at Michaud every evening of our six nights stay.

As well as being a charming host and fabulous chef, Madame Danen had good recommendations for sightseeing and gave expert advice on driving routes to several areas of interest in this beautiful department of France. We found Domaine Michaud an ideal base from which to explore.

La famille Danen have transformed Domaine Michaud into an inviting and idyllic place to stay. We very much enjoyed our first visit and the superb dinners.

We dream of returning!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 March 2013

We spent 5 amazing nights at Domaine Michaud at the beginning of March. We had not stayed there before but it became the highlight of our two week holiday. Domaine Michaud has a fantastic location on top of a hill with commanding views of the surrounding countryside. To wake up in the morning and open the shutters to a view of the snow capped Pyrenees was spectacular and something we will remember for a long time. The location is also close enough to enjoy the experience of visiting Carcassone's Medieval Citadel - something not to be missed. We really enjoyed visiting the Citadel and returning to the tranquil, relaxed surroundings of Domaine Michaud.
We were made to feel very welcome by Jolanda and her family - it was a very friendly reception with lots of great tips about where to visit in the local area. Many owners talk about service but Jolanda and her family really mean it and this contributed hugely to our enjoyment of this historic region of France.
The cuisine was outstanding, beautifully presented and certainly added that something extra to our wonderful stay. This was a most relaxing holiday and one we hope to repeat later in the year - we will return!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank landj76
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We arrived at Domaine Michaud at the end of our trip, and it proved to offer a haven to two jaded travellers, and became very much a highlight of our trip. Apart from the proximity to the Ancient city of Carcassonne, it has been a long time since I have experienced such hospitality. The room was charmingly french, and beds comfortable. My wife was impressed with the large bath tub.

Yolanda is a charming hostess with a commitment to maintaining the very high standards and expectations people have from the tripadvisor reviews. It is less a boutique hotel, than a home away from home.

Most notable however was the outstanding cuisine. Domaine Michaud offers dinner as an option which should not be missed under any conditions. The quality of the fine cuisine which makes extensive if not exclusive use of local produce was superior to meals I have had at twice the price. This is a minimum of a 2-3 day stay, with dinner for two nights at least.

You will not be dissapointed!!

Room Tip: Serena was not huge but very cosy and easily warmed in winter months.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2012

I was booked for this December to stay at Domaine Michaud. Unfortunately breast cancer got the best of me, and I told Madame Danen that I could not come. After first treatments my docs said it was ok to go, and I emailed Madame Danen, I would come after all. Helas, I could not go. Not only was Madame Danen very understanding, but sent me the most sweet email. I want to let you know if you read this post, please stay there. The property looks fabulous, and I have NEVER met any hotel owners as personal and sweet as Madame Danen was. I sure hope I can stay there in the next few years, and I hope if Madame Danen (sorry if I misspelled the name) reads this post, she will still welcome me as a guest. Thank you Madame Jolanda! Marie from Memphis.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank marieb313
Reviewed 11 November 2012

This is a wonderful B&B run by a nice and caring family. My mom, my daughter, and I spent three nights there, and Jolanda and her family took very good care of us. We did not have a car, but they help me get taxi and transfer services. Thanks to their efficient assistance, we were able to get around: we have enjoyed visiting Carassonne and Albe, which we adore. Jolanda's cooking is so wonderful that my daughter loved and ate all the dishes offered (she particularly enjoyed her split pea soup). We enjoyed strolling, picking flowers and bugs, checking their horses, swimming, and playing catch with their dogs. We would definitely go back, take my busy husband along next time.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2012

No, this is not a spam message.

We stayed two summers in a row with our family at Domaine Michaud during almost 2 weeks and we thought the time was right to leave a review on this site.
As our first experience in 2011 was wonderful, everybody asked to return in 2012.

H stands for hospitality whereby the family knows how to receive their guests and to take good care of them.

G of Gastronomy is important for us and Yolanda succeeds beautifully in a magic way to meet guests' expectations. It requires lots of talent,commitment and personality to realise the extended daily agenda. And everything is done with a smile !
Breakfast is offered with a small buffet and fresh orange juice. For guests staying longer than a few days, it would be nice to bring in a bit more variation.
As we were charmed by Yolanda's cooking talent, we did not look to go elsewhere for the evening meals. In 2011 we were convinced by Yolanda's talent, but she even made progress in 2012 !
Plenty of variation, medium to high cooking level and an astonishing price-quality relationship is offered. A starter, main dish, dessert, wines, water and coffee/tea for 29 € with this quality is cheap for this region, let's be clear on that.
We noticed at several occasions that specific requests by demanding guests were honoroured by Yolanda & cie at no extra cost, even if this implied extra efforts or higher costs for them.

C stands for comfort and this is not exagerated. Guests have access to a very nice garden with a swimming pool and relax beds. The bedrooms are spacious and well furnished and have a bathroom with toilet/shower/bath, soaps and hair dryer. Everything is new or recent and very clean.
We did not need to go inside as the weather was just fantastic but we think that there is room enough for many people as groundfloor offers several possibilities and rooms to give privacy to those who want it.

R for relax ... Silence, birds, a breeze and a splash of water from the swimming pool - can one ask for more ?

V = view. What a landscape : Carcassonne in the depth to the East, La Montagne noir in the SA to the Corbieres in the S and the mighty Pyrenees to the west - just superb !

Finally, we would like to combine the T for tourism with the S of spirituality.
For those who would like to discover this fantastic region just this : there is simply no better spot to start from than Domaine Michaud.
Carcassonne is only 10 minutes aways, several charming villages along the Canal du Midi and beautiful spots in the Montagne noir just half an hour or a bit more.
Toulouse (nice town and great shopping !) = 1 hour by car.
And there is the breathtaking history of the region : the Cathar castles are mostly spread within a rage of about 1 hour driving, major spots of the legends (templars, Goths, Cathars etc) are also quite near and let's not forget various villages like Mirepoix, Montreal etc etc.
Besides : after 5 minutes one can discover fabulous landscapes to the SW. A must see !

Domaine Michaud is not a good place for those who love the dynamics, noices and crowdy atmosphere of big cities. Is you are looking for a moment of rest, gastronomy, relaxation, culture or all those together : this is it.

And, as always for B&B's, if you dig a bit deeper in the passion of the Danen family, you might experience even more nice surprises...

With kind regards from a very satisfied Belgian family

Xavier, Pascale & girls

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Xavier_Belgium
Reviewed 2 November 2012

If you should pass through life without spending at least a few days in this wonderful haven you will have missed a rare treat!! The house is situated in the hills above Carcasonne with great veiws of that stunning walled town and the Pyrenees mountains. The rooms are spacious, clean and beautifully appointed, the hosts are charming and welcoming and the food is superb. Having lived in France for seven years I can honestly say the dinners we ate here during our short stay were some of the best meals I have eaten in France. We will be back without a doubt - maybe just for a relaxing time by the pool, reading and dozing and replenishing the batteries..

Room Tip: The setting is tranquil so all rooms must be peaceful and quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roullens
Hotel de la Cite Carcassonne - MGallery Collection
#1 of 13 in Limoux
Les Marguerites
Les Marguerites
#1 of 3 in Alet les Bains

Been to Domaine Michaud? Share your experiences!