“THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD!!”
Review of Domaine Michaud

Domaine Michaud
Ranked #1 of 1 Roullens B&B and Inns
Woodland, California
“THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAVE EVER HAD!!”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I left Domain Michaud under the worst of circumstances and for anyone that is reading this, I suggest you FIND ANOTHER PLACE! I made a 3 week reservation months ago seeing it on Trip advisor and was trying some B &B properties for the first time and this had an apartment with a kitchen.

I had come from the most amazing B&B which was really hard to leave but after driving up and I mean up, I knew I was in trouble. There were some rocks on the path and one of them got stuck under my car and couldn't move so this was not a good beginning. The only thing around was a pit bull humping a golden retriever that ended up being their dogs. When I finally did arrive dusty and dirty, a young girl finally came out who was the daughter. I think the owner should greet their guests and I was staying for a long period so it would have been nice. I called the day before and she seemed awfully frantic and kept saying how busy she was so I was a bit apprehensive.

Whenever I make any reservation my first request is to inquire about internet service and its reliability. it is a must since I have 2 children and there was an emergency last year so I am extra cautious. I am traveling alone and am writing a book so it is a deal breaker for me. If there is any doubt, I just move on to the next property but Jolanda, the owner, assured me there was internet service and it is on the website . If you advertise that you have internet, then you should have it.

When Jolanda was showing me the apartment she said they were having some problems and hopefully it would work soon and I would get service in the sitting area but she didn't know about the bedroom. This was surprising since I specifically asked more than one time about it. Now all of a sudden there wasn't going to be internet in the bedroom and I like to relax and write in bed. It didn't really matter because there wasn't ANY service anywhere. I was not happy that she was giving me all these excuses and I asked her why did she say there was internet and never mentioned anything about the bedroom not having service.

The apartment had been a basement and smelled so musty it made me nauseous. It was dark and very unwelcoming which I could sense was the case with her. She clearly didn't like me asking about the internet. She also seemed annoyed about asking for help with my luggage which was a lot because I had been traveling for months. She left saying she had to get back to the kitchen and would help later.

Dinner was called for 8 and at 9:30, I finally asked when it was going to be served? She said they were late because of the Internet and she had spent too much time on me. The real problem was the fact that they allow non paying hotel guests to make reservations for dinner. I only saw her and her daughter who also serves as well as plays the harp for guests, although not on this particular night. It would be very hard to accommodate additional people and don't think it is fair for those who are paying to stay here to make them wait almost 2 hours when you clearly don't have the help to prepare dinner within a reasonable time.

When I asked why dinner was so late, she barked that this wasn't a Michelin restaurant, just a family run business and if they are late serving then they are late and they don't have a staff of boys to help which I thought was an odd comment. She has a son and husband but he never introduced himself and she was clearly bothered that I had asked about dinner being so late and made it seem like it was my fault. I still couldn't get online in the main area where she said there would be no problem at all.

They put me at a table in the corner and mingled with the other guests and completely ignored me. I was very uncomfortable and just wanted to go to sleep but that didn't happen because as I was laying in bed, I looked over and saw all these ants up the wall right next to the bed. Now I had to start killing ants and figured she would blame me so I took photos. When I told her the next morning, she said "your in the south of France" which I don't think is a valid reason and completely denied it even as she was looking at the photos. I said I couldn't stay without Internet and the ants in the bedroom were disgusting. Photos don't lie as you can see and took some showing her there was no internet connection all through the night.

She was so rude and said that they did have Internet and it must be my computer, an Apple MacBook Pro, an Apple ipad and iPhone 5 were the problem. If so, then advertise that your internet will not work with Apple products. I just wanted to get out and went to pack up my things. She said she was not going to give me any of my money back which was not right considering she advertised a service that was not provided and knew how I had emphasized its importance. She told me that most people come here for a vacation, not to be on their computer which I found insulting. That may be true of most but should have no bearing on the fact that it is advertised and you can't provide the service then you should refund the customer.

Strangely, an hour before she had made a comment how she was going to lose 3 weeks and I assumed that she would give me something back. I had given 850 euros for a deposit and she was raising her voice telling me over and over that they have internet. I just couldn't believe she refused to give me one penny back. I would have never made the booking if I had known there might be a problem, especially for 3 weeks.

All of a sudden this man appeared out of nowhere and told me "you have offended my wife and have 5 minutes to leave or I will call the police". He was so close to my face that I actually said "are you going to hit me?" He was screaming at me and I was really frightened. Jolanda finally told him to leave me alone, he was the husband. This would never have happened if I wasn't a single woman traveling alone. He had the nerve to say " you are an American, get out". I was so shocked and literally shaking. I have never been spoken to like that by any man. On top of it I had 3 weeks with no place to go in the height of the season, tired since I didn't sleep at all and now her husband was screaming in my face with his hands way too close for comfort.

In all my 40 years of traveling around the world I have never experienced anything like this. It was beyond upsetting and can't believe that any business owner especially in hospitality would behave in such a manner. I am sure she will respond and deny everything but as I said, photos don't lie but some people do. This was such a terrible experience and it has taken me time just to write about it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank 4halex

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful two nights at the Domaine Michaud where Jolanda and family could not have been more hospitable. We enjoyed the terrific views, lovely walks and the best breakfasts and dinners of any of our B&B stays - in fact the food was excellent. We loved the style of the place and its remoteness and were given lots of advice about good places to visit and local walks. The pool was out of order - but it wasn't warm enough to swim anyway; and wifi was available only in the sitting room which did not inconvenience us. It was good value and so welcoming we were sad to leave and will return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fooderella
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We arranged to meet friends for dinner at Domaine Michaud. Unfortunately, our friends did not show because of some family disaster. We were made to feel a bit like the naughty kids of the class!

It is a family run show so they offer a set menu, which is fine as they make this very clear when booking. The food was fresh and well prepared. The daughter informed us that they try to source all their ingredients within a 3k radius of the hotel. The wine list is short and the wine we chose was exceptionally good.

I have given 4 stars because for a family run business this is well done with maybe a few tweaks to the customer service side. It is not fine dining but it is very good food by someone who cares and can cook well. I like the concept but as mentioned maybe a little less candour about the rigours of running a hotel would be a lighter touch in dealing with guest's issues.

The property and the location are beautiful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
essex
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This is a lovely old farmhouse 15 minutes from Carcassonne & the airport. The rooms were well appointed & the breakfasts plentiful. The views from both the front-facing rooms & the pool area are stunning. As a B&B, providing you have a car, it provides good accommodation, although the pool was out of order during our stay - we stayed for 2 nights & as it's so remote ate there both evenings - we have to disagree with previous comments about outstanding food. Yolande is a good cook, although we found the main courses highly seasoned & a bit style over substance. Yolande & her daughter Naomi -Esme were charming.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Sun City West, Arizona
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We didn't have the opportunity to stay overnight at domaine Michaud, but 4 of us recently stopped in for dinner. The grounds are lovely, with wonderful views over the countryside. The dining room is very stylish and welcoming. The Danen family members all partook in preparing and serving a delicious three-course meal. We would highly recommend making a reservation for dinner, and it looks like a lovely place to stay - off the heavy tourist tracks of Carcassonne a few miles north.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Leicestershire
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We would absolutely recommend Domaine Michaud to anyone visiting Carcassonne and the area. We were welcomed and shown to the most exquisite rooms, furnished from the local Brocantes and perfectly decorated. Most importantly - they were spotlessly clean. The house location couldn't be better, situated on top of a hill, outside the village, with views of Carcasonne and La Cite in one direction, and The Pyrennees in the other. WOW! Jolanda is a chef with such a talent, we were blown away. The food was incredible and easily amongst some of the best meals we have eaten - and we eat out a lot! All locally sourced and at 29 Euros, we considered a 5 course meal to be excellent value.The children, Naomi-Esmee and Sandor were very friendly. Naomi has an excellent knowledge of local wines and vineyards which enabled her to guide us in our choices. Jolanda was warm and her advice on local places to visit heightened our experience. Places we never would have known about otherwise. Fred, (Mr) shared his vision for the house and the land around it. He is working extremely hard and we can't wait to return and see his dreams in fruition. Our children (19 & 10) loved the grounds, the pool, the incredible views and of course the gorgeous animals. We are now planning when we could pop over as a couple for a mini-break. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms in this house. They are all individually and superbly decorated. Our children...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HeidiKirkland1
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed at Domaine Michaud for 2 nights as part of our honeymoon. We booked through Alistair Sawday.

This guest house offers stunning 360 views. The drive up from from Carcassonne was beautiful. The grounds and property is well kept and you feel instantly welcome and relaxed. There is a very large pool which has plenty of sun loungers surrounding it. There are 2 very friendly dogs and 2 pigs at the bottom of the garden. It makes for a very friendly, family run experience.

Our room had it's own entrance and was large in size. It was well decorated and the bed was comfy. A fan had been put in the room for us to use in the warm nights. Our bathroom offered a double shower and plenty of fresh towels.

We ate at the guest house one evening. The food was extremely delicious. It was homemade and very tasty, a real taste of traditional french food. The family are very welcoming and we felt very at home having our meal here. We really recommend this.

We would really love to visit this guest house again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roullens
Le Domaine d'Auriac
Hotel de la Cite Carcassonne - MGallery Collection
Hotel La Bastide Saint Martin
Hotel La Bastide Saint Martin
#1 of 39 in Carcassonne

Been to Domaine Michaud? Share your experiences!