“Second trip this year”

Domaine Michaud
Ranked #1 of 1 Roullens B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Hi,
We had four fantastic nights at Domaine Michaud in mid-November - our second visit this year.
We were not disappointed as it lived up to our memories of our last trip earlier this year. The food was once again amazing - thank you Jolanda for your fantastic duck dish. All of our meals were accompanied by excellent locally produced wines. We think it adds to the experience if you sample local produce - something which Domain Michaud prides itself in providing for guests.
We spent our time touring the local Cathar Castles and of course visiting the incredible Carcassonne.
We look forward to visiting again in the future and to experiencing once again the amazing views towards the Pyrenees as we open the shutters in the morning.
Thank you to Jolanda, Fred and family for another warm welcome. We hope to see you again soon.
Lynne & James, Surrey

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank landj76

Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stayed with Jolanda and family for 7 nights in August, and had a wonderful holiday. The B & B is very central if you want to visit either vineyards, the sea or Cathar mountains. You may also simply want to explore some local towns and relax with a glass of Corbieres. Yolanda is extremely helpful in getting out maps and pointing out local attractions too.
We tried the "surprise supper" several times and it was always beautifully cooked and presented. Naomi Esme ( daughter of the house) was very well informed about local wines and provided a very professional " front of house". Breakfast too, served on the terrace was delicious, comprising fresh croissants, pain au chocolat, fruit, cold meats and cheeses.
We particularly enjoyed relaxing in the lovely grounds, gazing out at the mountains, while sipping a chilled bottle of Occitania ( locally produced) and straining ourselves only occasionally by throwing a ball for the two friendly Labradors.
This is an ideal holiday for people who want to take in the history, food and wine of Southern France, while being well attended to.

Room Tip: Our room looked onto the swimming pool and was still extremely quiet, so any room would be fine.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2013

This B&B clearly provokes some contradictory reviews, and perhaps I need to tell our story too. We stayed for 3 nights at the end of August/beginning of September, over the period of our 40th wedding anniversary. The location of Domain Michaud is certainly stunning; wonderful views over hills and forests. Jolanda met us personally on arrival, made us welcome, and showed us round. The entrance hall, dining room and reception rooms were beautiful, contrasting with the bedroom which was smaller than we’d hoped, and which was in need of some updating. The outside areas around the pool also needed some renovation, but she did say that there was some work-in-progress.

So far so good. But there were two issues which we feel guests should be aware of: firstly we cannot agree with the reviewers who describe stunning dinners. We ate in-house on the first evening, delighted to be able to do so and not have to go out; and intrigued by the concept of a “surprise supper”. Dinner was to be served at 8.30, so we arrived on the terrace at 8.20, to find nowhere to sit, all tables and chairs already taken, and no-one to greet us. We went into the dining room but the one waiter (Jolanda’s son) seemed flustered by our appearance, showed us a table, but things were clearly not ready for us so we wandered outside to mark time. Dinner, I’m afraid, when it came, was sparce, and not good value for 29 Euro. The starter was one potato ball, about an inch in diameter, just that, on its own on a plate; some soup arrived at 9.15; the main course was a turkey melange, of the sort we make at home to use up left-overs. There were no salads or fruit, and of course as it was a “surprise supper” there were no choices. There were long delays between courses; the guests waited with bated breath (and with good humour) each time the waiter appeared. We realised that Jolanda was quite stretched to provide dinner for about 19 people at all, as there were no staff except for the son (the daughter was away and the husband was not in evidence.) We thought theyneeded to think seriously about staff. The next evening was our wedding anniversary itself and we decided not to repeat this experience but to eat out. (Incidentally the village of La Grasse about 45 mins away has some really good restaurants.)

Our big mistake however was a misunderstanding about food and drink on the premises. On the first evening, we had asked for glasses in order to have our own pre-dinner drinks, i.e. wine that we had specially brought with us. Our room did not have a private terrace, but there is quite a large area of grass around the pool, which is behind some trees and well away from the terrace and from other tables, and we thought this would be fine to pull up some chairs there, overlooking that stunning view. We have many times stayed in similar B&Bs in France, and hosts have provided glasses readily. Jolanda said this request was “unusual”, but provided the glasses.

The third evening we were there however, we made the monumental mistake of deciding to have our own picnic; we had thought we would eat it before returning to the B&B but didn’t find anywhere suitable, so thought naively that we would eat it in the grounds, as before well away from and out of sight of other guests. This has been accepted practice in several similar B&B, indeed just before arriving at Domain Michaud we had stayed at an equally lovely house which also provided its own small restaurant, but the hostess was very happy to provide plates and glasses for people wanting to eat their own food. So we began to eat our pate, using our own picnic set – to find Jolanda appearing, saying that we shall not eat our picnic here. It was 8.30 pm, and it began to get dark soon after, so we asked her where we should eat? She said she didn’t know but it was not allowed here. We felt a little stung but left, feeling upset and not a little foolish, and ate our picnic up the road in the rapidly fading light.

Before we left the next morning, we talked this over with Jolanda. We felt her behaviour had been unfortunate and we were upset at her hard-line attitude. She said that guests were not allowed food or drink on the premises and that we had therefore transgressed. We said that it is of course her property, and she has the right to make whatever rules she wants – but she needs to inform guests of those rules. She had not mentioned them at the time of arrival, or during our stay, and at the time there was nothing on the website about that policy (I notice that there is a sentence about that policy on the website now). She had the grace to apologise about upsetting us, but was also unremitting in her insistence on keeping the rules the previous evening, despite the time of evening and our lack of understanding about the rules. We realised then why there was no kettle in our rooms, or no tea-making facilities for guests apart from in the dining room. We had talked this over with some fellow guests and realised that even had we brought our own kettle, as we sometimes do, that would not be allowed either, although there was nothing either said or in writing to make people aware of this rule.

We mention this now, as it may be important for future guests to fully realise the situation, and the intransigence with which Jolanda can behave to guests. I’m sorry to say that with this experience plus the unsatisfactory dinner situation, and despite all the excellent reviews on Tripadviser which led us to Domain Michaud in the first place, we will not be going there again.

4  Thank Annabel2008
Domaine M, Eigenaar at Domaine Michaud, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

So many people so many demands... but our house rules are emerged from experiences and are meant to be respected. Although we apply them with a certain flexibility. These people however ignored our kindly mentioned rules frequently.

In August our policy on drinks and food was already mentioned on our website and we emphasizes the policy again at the moment of arrival.
We didn’t want to spoil their first evening so without any problem we brought those people some glasses for their own wine, however we mentioned friendly our house rules again. They had dinner the first evening and long before their arrival they informed us that they would not be in for dinner the second evening. But in spite of the fact that we had been clear on our house rules they surprised us by eating a self brought simple lunch at the pool that second day.
The third day they told me that they would not have dinner with us that evening, because they planned to have an extensive picnic at lunch time, for which I gave them several splendid possibilities. There are even two public picnic places at less than a two minutes drive.
Without asking or saying anything they installed themselves in the evening by the pool for an extended picnic including open fire at a period that any form of open fire is strictly forbidden by the Government.
When I kindly asked them to continue their picnic elsewhere and offered them to prepare a table in the restaurant as an alternative, they were the opinion that we could not have any objection against their picnic by the pool out of sight for other guests. (But as you can see on our website the swimming pool is in full sight of the guest rooms.)
Their excuse was that they couldn’t find a suitable location for the afternoon picnic and that they couldn’t afford a meal in a restaurant every night.

We can’t and do not expect that our guests eat every night in our or any other restaurant, but we do expect that house rules will be respected, even if these rules don’t suit you…

We are a bed & breakfast, nevertheless guests have the possibility to stay whole day on the property for which we offer a lunch, an evening dinner or a simple salad with cheeses, charcuterie and bread in the restaurant or on the restaurant terrace and during day time and evening we serve coffee, tea and other beverages at reasonable prices (starting at 7 a.m.to closing time).
Guest who want to be self catering we offer an apartment with a full equipped kitchen.

So many people… Several guests requested specially the Serena room for their second or third stay. This specific room is fully restored, painted, decorated with new furniture 2 ½ years ago and we are definitively not going to update this room instantly. It is a nice fresh and clean room (as long as no one shaves or cut his beard in the bed?!!).

So many people.... Our Pot-au-feu méditerranée with a lot of vegetables was for many internal and exterior guests reason to book another time in our restaurant. This stew filled with small pieces of turkey or chicken, vegetables and Mediterranean herbs, accompanied by couscous was preceded by an appetizer and a starter. The mini salad of potato, raw and blanched vegetables, herbs with fresh curry sauce (and absolutely larger than one inch) is an amuse prior to the vélouté of fennel with a salsa of the tastiest tomatoes that can be found in the direct surroundings, flavorful tomatoes straight from the garden of our neighbor. The dessert was a home-made tiramisu with slices of fresh pear and red berries.
All dishes were freshly prepared in the afternoon and that particular evening our team of 3 didn’t meet any problems so everything was served within the scheduled time.
Most people appreciate that we take time for our guests, unlike many other restaurants (special in the high season). Some however forget that they are on holiday. The meal is intended to be a moment of delight, we are not a fast food restaurant or bistro. The man of this couple marked himself in the restaurant because he seemed to be in a hurry and behaved himself very impatience: we served him various dishes even earlier than other customers so that they could leave earlier.

Jolanda Danen (owner)

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We dined here on 7th Oct. It was for my grandmothers 80th birthday. When we arrived we were welcomed by Jolanda who showed us to the reception room where the views of Carcassonne are out of this world. We had a big table in the restaurant which was decorated lovely. We then met her son who was our waiter for the evening,very pleasant young man. And then the food....can not fault the food at all. Portions were perfect,for a four course dinner. The food was mouthwatering and you could tell it was all homemade. We also had our nearly one year old daughter with us...which Jolanda really catered for..she gave us highchair,toys and drinks for her. Also offered to bring down a bed for her to sleep in if she got tired..that meant a lot to us.

Overall an amazing evening to which we will never forget...a great way to spend my grans 80th birthday.

Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Hainewood
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We had a wonderful 5 days and 5 nights staying with Jolanda and Fred at the beautiful Domaine Michaud. We simply don't recognize the place, or the owners, as described in a tirade by the previous reviewer 4halex and can only assume she had a separate agenda or, indeed, stayed somewhere else! We found the rooms to be beautifully appointed and spotlessly clean. The location would be difficult to better with magnificent views of Carcassonne and the surrounding countryside. It's a family run establishment with Jolanda and Fred's two children helping out and making everyone comfortable and at ease.
All the food is produced from locally sourced ingredients and Jolanda's cooking is fantastic.
We urge anyone thinking of visiting this beautiful area of France to experience the great hospitality we received at Domaine Michaud.
Martin & Jan Corby

Reviewed 12 October 2013

I left Domain Michaud under the worst of circumstances and for anyone that is reading this, I suggest you FIND ANOTHER PLACE! I made a 3 week reservation months ago seeing it on Trip advisor and was trying some B &B properties for the first time and this had an apartment with a kitchen.

I had come from the most amazing B&B which was really hard to leave but after driving up and I mean up, I knew I was in trouble. There were some rocks on the path and one of them got stuck under my car and couldn't move so this was not a good beginning. The only thing around was a pit bull humping a golden retriever that ended up being their dogs. When I finally did arrive dusty and dirty, a young girl finally came out who was the daughter. I think the owner should greet their guests and I was staying for a long period so it would have been nice. I called the day before and she seemed awfully frantic and kept saying how busy she was so I was a bit apprehensive.

Whenever I make any reservation my first request is to inquire about internet service and its reliability. it is a must since I have 2 children and there was an emergency last year so I am extra cautious. I am traveling alone and am writing a book so it is a deal breaker for me. If there is any doubt, I just move on to the next property but Jolanda, the owner, assured me there was internet service and it is on the website . If you advertise that you have internet, then you should have it.

When Jolanda was showing me the apartment she said they were having some problems and hopefully it would work soon and I would get service in the sitting area but she didn't know about the bedroom. This was surprising since I specifically asked more than one time about it. Now all of a sudden there wasn't going to be internet in the bedroom and I like to relax and write in bed. It didn't really matter because there wasn't ANY service anywhere. I was not happy that she was giving me all these excuses and I asked her why did she say there was internet and never mentioned anything about the bedroom not having service.

The apartment had been a basement and smelled so musty it made me nauseous. It was dark and very unwelcoming which I could sense was the case with her. She clearly didn't like me asking about the internet. She also seemed annoyed about asking for help with my luggage which was a lot because I had been traveling for months. She left saying she had to get back to the kitchen and would help later.

Dinner was called for 8 and at 9:30, I finally asked when it was going to be served? She said they were late because of the Internet and she had spent too much time on me. The real problem was the fact that they allow non paying hotel guests to make reservations for dinner. I only saw her and her daughter who also serves as well as plays the harp for guests, although not on this particular night. It would be very hard to accommodate additional people and don't think it is fair for those who are paying to stay here to make them wait almost 2 hours when you clearly don't have the help to prepare dinner within a reasonable time.

When I asked why dinner was so late, she barked that this wasn't a Michelin restaurant, just a family run business and if they are late serving then they are late and they don't have a staff of boys to help which I thought was an odd comment. She has a son and husband but he never introduced himself and she was clearly bothered that I had asked about dinner being so late and made it seem like it was my fault. I still couldn't get online in the main area where she said there would be no problem at all.

They put me at a table in the corner and mingled with the other guests and completely ignored me. I was very uncomfortable and just wanted to go to sleep but that didn't happen because as I was laying in bed, I looked over and saw all these ants up the wall right next to the bed. Now I had to start killing ants and figured she would blame me so I took photos. When I told her the next morning, she said "your in the south of France" which I don't think is a valid reason and completely denied it even as she was looking at the photos. I said I couldn't stay without Internet and the ants in the bedroom were disgusting. Photos don't lie as you can see and took some showing her there was no internet connection all through the night.

She was so rude and said that they did have Internet and it must be my computer, an Apple MacBook Pro, an Apple ipad and iPhone 5 were the problem. If so, then advertise that your internet will not work with Apple products. I just wanted to get out and went to pack up my things. She said she was not going to give me any of my money back which was not right considering she advertised a service that was not provided and knew how I had emphasized its importance. She told me that most people come here for a vacation, not to be on their computer which I found insulting. That may be true of most but should have no bearing on the fact that it is advertised and you can't provide the service then you should refund the customer.

Strangely, an hour before she had made a comment how she was going to lose 3 weeks and I assumed that she would give me something back. I had given 850 euros for a deposit and she was raising her voice telling me over and over that they have internet. I just couldn't believe she refused to give me one penny back. I would have never made the booking if I had known there might be a problem, especially for 3 weeks.

All of a sudden this man appeared out of nowhere and told me "you have offended my wife and have 5 minutes to leave or I will call the police". He was so close to my face that I actually said "are you going to hit me?" He was screaming at me and I was really frightened. Jolanda finally told him to leave me alone, he was the husband. This would never have happened if I wasn't a single woman traveling alone. He had the nerve to say " you are an American, get out". I was so shocked and literally shaking. I have never been spoken to like that by any man. On top of it I had 3 weeks with no place to go in the height of the season, tired since I didn't sleep at all and now her husband was screaming in my face with his hands way too close for comfort.

In all my 40 years of traveling around the world I have never experienced anything like this. It was beyond upsetting and can't believe that any business owner especially in hospitality would behave in such a manner. I am sure she will respond and deny everything but as I said, photos don't lie but some people do. This was such a terrible experience and it has taken me time just to write about it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank 4halex
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful two nights at the Domaine Michaud where Jolanda and family could not have been more hospitable. We enjoyed the terrific views, lovely walks and the best breakfasts and dinners of any of our B&B stays - in fact the food was excellent. We loved the style of the place and its remoteness and were given lots of advice about good places to visit and local walks. The pool was out of order - but it wasn't warm enough to swim anyway; and wifi was available only in the sitting room which did not inconvenience us. It was good value and so welcoming we were sad to leave and will return.

1  Thank fooderella

Been to Domaine Michaud? Share your experiences!