“Lovely B&B in the country side outside Carcassonne”
Review of Domaine Michaud

Domaine Michaud
Ranked #1 of 1 Roullens B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We spent three nights here in glorious weather. Our room was beautifully fitted and maintained. The location and views towards the Pyrenees are excellent. The pool was very welcome and there were good walking opportunities from the house (sometimes accompanied by the lovely dog!). There is also a tennis court. The local area has plenty of places to visit and you are spoilt for choice for eating/drinking during the day.

The best thing was the service and meals provided by Jolanda who is an amazing chef. Her attention to detail in taste and presentation was brilliant. She was also extremely kind and thoughtful for us and other guests who had the misfortune to experience an air traffic controllers strike.

This is a great place - just a short drive from Toulouse, Beziers or Carcassonne airports - we look forward to returning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I have just returned from a two-night stay at this wonderful B and B with my husband and children and wished we had booked for longer. The 'domaine' itself is a beautiful old house in an idyllic position with far-reaching views over Carcassone and the surrounding countryside. We enjoyed the cool rooms, lovely pool and gardens after a day of sight seeing. The highlight for me was the wonderful 'surpise menu' dinners served on the terrace by the charming and knowledgable daughter of the family, Naomi-Esmee. Jolanda is a very accomplished chef and the food we enjoyed here was the best of the holiday. The recommended local wines and aperitifs were also superb. We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: We travelled as a family and had two rooms facing each other at the end of a corridor, which worked...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Travelling with two friends, my wife and I stayed at this idyllic B&B for two nights in June 2014. We all had a great time relaxing around the lovely swimming pool and admiring the fabulous views of Carcassone and the Pyrenees in the distance. Jolanda is a very attentive and perfect host who gave us detailed advice on interesting places to visit (Mirepois, Camon, La Montbel and Limoux) and has recently shared food recipes with my wife. Our ground floor room had a big, comfy bed and a sunken bath with easy access to the swimming pool, which was very well maintained and clean. To avoid driving to restaurants, we requested meals and Jolanda and her son did a great job cooking delicious food served in the large dining room, where we also drank aperitifs and coffee sat in front of a huge fire place. A perfect place to chill out and relax in very tranquil surroundings.

Room Tip: We chose a ground floor room with a door opening out to the garden and within 15m of the swimming po...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I cannot praise this B&B enough. The location and views were really great. The bedroom and bathroom were first class and spotless and the food was really superb. The family could not have been more helpful. I can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank James W
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Having discovered Domaine Michaud in October 2013 and loved it, my husband and I returned in June 2014 to stay for four nights and quietly celebrate my birthday. We were delighted that all the things we loved about it were unchanged such as the very warm welcome, delicious food and beautiful views. Even better there were lots of positive improvements including a beautiful new pool, a gym and the completed entrance to the bedroom wing. This time we stayed in the apartment which has a big bed, fabulous sunken bath/double ‘rain’ shower, a pretty sitting room and a kitchen if we needed it – all with Jolanda’s expert interior designer touch.
On my birthday we had lunch out at a vineyard, and came back to Domaine Michaud to find to my total surprise friends and family arriving to join us for the remainder of our stay – all thanks to the secret planning by my husband and his accomplice Jolanda!
We all had a brilliant time (apart from those who were sadly victims of the French Air Traffic Controllers strike and stranded in England so missed it!) – delicious food – including a wonderful surprise birthday cake by budding chef Sando. Jolanda is also a terrific vegetarian cook – which I believe is fairly rare in France!
It’s an ideal place to go to relax, or even to paint or to write, an easy drive from Carcassonne airport, lots of interesting ancient sites and towns to visit, bracing walks, and one can spend hours just gazing at the different views from Domaine Michaud’s perch high up above Carcassonne while enjoying a cup of tea or glass of wine by the pool.
We’ll definitely be going back!

Room Tip: We loved the apartment/suite but our guests loved their rooms too with their beautiful views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank fooderella
Reviewed 6 June 2014

While visiting my parent's new holiday home just outside Carcassone, we booked to visit our closest neighbours at Domaine Michaud.

As you arrive you are greeted by the breath taking views than you begin to expect from this area.

The restaurant itself is a great idea with a 'Suprise Supper'. We rang the door bell and were greeted by Jolanda, who was incredibly friendly.

We were shown around the lounge and dining room, I was a little apprehensive as we were the only people there, but soon joined by other guests.

The idea of having the food picked for you is great, and the local produce that was served did not disappoint.

The icing on the cake was the wine selection, just three reds, three whites, a rose and some great spakling wine from Rives Blanques which we had visited ealier that day and the local Domaine Cointes, all at a great price.

To top it off, it was incredible value for money. I look forward to visiting my new French local next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TBBath
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We drove out from Carcassone for dinner and, I must admit, I was very anxious about the drive back in the dark after dinner but Yolande assured us that we would meet no other traffic and could drive slowly. Even at that we ended up reversing out of a farm road at one point. However the view and the dinner were fabulous. I think, another time, we should stay overnight.
The night we were there there was only one other couple in the dining room and Yolande served the whole meal very smoothly and we had time for a nice chat at the end. Her prices are extremely reasonable.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gourmandm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roullens
Hotel de la Cite Carcassonne - MGallery Collection
#1 of 13 in Limoux
Les Marguerites
Les Marguerites
#1 of 3 in Alet les Bains

Been to Domaine Michaud? Share your experiences!