Horsley Hall
Teesdale Hotel(Middleton in Teesdale)
US$105
US$81
The Rose & Crown(Romaldkirk)
US$198
Slaley Hall(Slaley)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsafternoon tearefreshing showerlord and ladydressing roomcoast to coastnext morningthoroughly enjoyed our stayhot waterstanhopehostsmoorsangelaguestsvenuegrousemealkettle
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel for an overnight stop and overall a good experience. However for our trip to have been an excellent stay then some things need a tweak. Firstly the building is fabulous and has been restored to a good standard. The owner and her daughter could not have been more attentive. On arrival we were escorted to our rooms which I will not wax lyrical about but they were adequate and the shower was fab with lots of hot water. We then made our way downstairs to afternoon tea with beautiful cake. After a short walk we decided that a cool beer was in order. That's where the first tweak is needed. Beer in bottles and cans for a place of this standing was a let down and they weren't cold enough. However we managed. We booked in for dinner and paid the £27-50 for two courses which we thought was slightly overpriced. However food was of a reasonable standard and in the main we enjoyed it. When we entered the dining room the log burner was lit and it was lovely and warm however we had only consumed our first course when the fire was allowed to go out hence the room was now cold so we went to bed early. The hotel was quiet so we got a good nights sleep. We went down to breakfast to find no fire on, neither was the central heating. The room was cold and not very inviting. We had our breakfast which again was to a reasonable standard. This beautiful building needs some downstairs heat when guests are on the premises. Being cold during dinner and breakfast took the shine off the visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

From the welcoming afternoon tea to the superb meals and comfortable rooms, Horsley Hall offers a relaxing atmosphere.
It is also well situated for exploring the many interesting visitor attractions in the area.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I stayed here with my son, and a friend and her son, both of whom were starting at Durham uni the next day - all the Durham hotels were fully booked, and Horsley Hall was the closest with availability. However, it turned out to be a a wonderful choice, a really lovely haven, a very pleasant 'last night' before our boys started at uni.

It was slightly tricky to find from Stanhope, in that we doubted we'd taken the correct small road, but we perservered along it and the hotel eventually appeared. A couple more reassuring 'this way to Horsley Hall' signs along the way might be helpful to new visitors!

The hotel itself was the kind of little country hall hotel that is quintissentially English, and I would think Americans would adore it. It has a Victorian Gothic/Tudor feel to it, with a handsome and comfortable drawing room (definitely not a 'lounge' - much classier than that!) and an even more handsome baronial-style dining room opening from it. On our arrival I was promptly offered a pot of tea in the drawing room and fruit cake - very nice.

Because it had been a sunny early autumn day I went off up to the moor on a breezy walk, and got a taste of the dales which I had never visited before (windy, bleak and beautiful), and it was very good to return to the hotel some time later and shower and change for dinner. Our rooms were up in the attic level, but had been much improved since inhabited by Victorian servants! My son's room was very grand in style, and mine cosier, with another twin bed. Both had spacious ensuites with useful things like cotton wool for make up removal. A box of tissues would have been a nice additional extra. The style overal is a little dated, in that it is probably more eighties than current era, but to me that was a significant part of its charm.

Because the hotel is primarily a shooting hotel, the magazines in the room were shooting magazines, which were very interesting to read - again, an alien world to me, like the dales. There was a tea tray with kettle, tea, UHT milk, coffee and shortbread, ideal for a last cuppa before bedtime.

One problem for me was the heat! I simply could not turn down the radiators whatever I did, but when I reported this they were turned down and by the time I went to bed the temperature was comfortable. Even so, Islept with the little attic windows wide wide open - also to let in the lovely air streaming in off the moors, and watched the moon over the trees planted to shelter the hotel from the wind. Beautiful!

However, one downer for me, and I really should have mentioned it the next morning but forgot, was that I found the pillows very, very uncomfortable! I would have far preferred to have had some kind of 'bouncy' synthetic pillow, which can be very cheaply bought from places like Marks and Spencers. The ones provided seemed very uncomfortable to me. Easy to correct I woudl think, or at least give guests the option of having a different style of spare in the wardrobe. I've marked down the sleep quality becuase of the problem I had with the pillows.

Dinner was good - beautifully served in the grand dining room, and there was only one other party there, so it really felt like something out of Downton Abbey, as though we were house guests not hotel guests. I'd asked whether grouse was on the menu, and for me it was! Puddings were delicious - my only complaint was that I could have happily eaten one twice the size it was so good.

Breakfast was also good and included in the room price. I think the price I paid overall for two rooms, with dinner bed and breakfast, was about £240. Some of the similar country house hotels we'd looked at were charging significantly more.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you want somewhere with immediate access to the moors, that is a mini-Downton in atmosphere, and very comfortable. It all had a very good feel to it and 'naturally classy'. I have seen some English country house hotels which are just overdone and simply too 'chi-chi' but this has an atmosphere and ambience of being 'the real thing' . You can't fake real class, and Horsley Hall has it. Understated, quiet, remote and very enjoyable.

Room Tip: Have one of the 'grand' attic rooms with a double bed and a dressing room as well as a bathroom.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Marion055
Reviewed 2 October 2012

This is a real gem of a hotel in a wonderful location. From the friendly welcome to the food through to the grand design and great location this is all fantastic. We stayed recently on the c2c cycle ride but will be returning for relaxation . The standard of catering and reasonably priced wine make this a must! The rooms are well appointed and the dining room truly impressive and cosy if the fire is burning as it was during our autumn stay.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Horsley Hall is absolutely beautiful! We were a large group of cyclists doing the C2C and staying in Stanhope The Hall had been recommended as a good place to eat but what a surprise! We hadn't expected such luxury. They do a special hot buffet for groups of cyclists so the very reasonable price just didn't give any indication of just how special this place was. Just fabulous. I really need to go back for a longer, more relaxed stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends