“Fantastic view”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Fantastic view”
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

We (my mum and I) stayed here at the end of July 2013 for five nights for a city break. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and found the hotel to be in a great location. Although not in the heart of the tourist areas, it was right beside a train station with quick access to the rest of the city. We also discovered on our last day how close a ferry was over to Circular Quay so all modes of transport covered!

A few great eateries nearby with the Commodore Hotel down the road as well as the Rag & Famish, although the restaurant in the hotel itself was also worth a visit.

The view is surely unbeatable displaying Sydney's harbour at its best, and its location encouraged lovely, long walks over the bridge. The room itself was lovely and spacious and provided everything we needed. The Reception desk were always incredibly helpful and should I return to Sydney, I would most likely stay here again.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had room 714 on a Saturday night. On arrival we asked for a higher floor but were told they were full. The 10 minute wait for the lifts proved this fact.
Our room was clean, and had a bit of a corner glimpse of the bridge and luna park. The glass window in the bathroom was weird - not sure why you'd want that.
We didn't spend a lot of time in our room - but we were woken up really early (before 6am) by constant trains going underneath the hotel. The noise was insane. My aunt was staying on the top floor and she said she could just barely hear the trains in the morning.
We spent a couple of hours in the bar for happy hour and it has a great atmosphere.
So, if you can get a guarantee of a high room, stay here. If not, stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a high room or a different hotel!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Antsuz78
Melbourne
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This hotel is a little pricey but it is worth it for the views of Sydney Harbour. The hotel feels a little dated as well and the bedroom I was in had the oddest of things.....A toilet with a window into the bedroom, I guess one may wish to see the views while riding the porcelain superhighway!

The buffet is an excellent choice is you are using this hotel as you base......eat as much as you can for brekky and then you won't need lunch!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Drouin, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

Situated right next to nth Sydney train station with all rooms having some harbour view.
Upon arriving I was given room 713. Within minutes a train rumbled under the hotel and the room became noisy and you could feel the vibration.
This would never do.
I returned to reception who immediately checked and told me another room would be available later on in the day.
That was fine as I had some other things to do.
When I got back to the hotel my room was ready and I was directed to room 1402.
You could have taken my breath away.
I swear this room must have been where the promo photo was taken.
Be aware that what you are paying for is the view. Avoid the rooms on the end of the hotel because 90 % of your view is train lines.
The restaurant has quality food and the prices aren't too bad either. Try the desert platter.
Would I stay again?
Yes with the right room and the right deal.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank OneThreeTravel
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Stayed there from 9-14 July. Windows can open which we did appreciate to get some fresh air. They have placed badly fitted old sliding windows behind originals to block out noise. I opened sliding window gently on third morning of stay. Whist turning away the whole window and frame crashed down on the side of my head. I was in shock&tears( window is approx 2mx1.5m) and quite heavy. Luckily daughter with me to help. Staff apologetic and manager offered a free breakfast and a 1 hour later checkout. Pretty poor I thought!!! I would dread to think of the consequences had this hit a young child or elderly person, it could have killed them. Maintenance screwed a piece of wood under sill to repair and on return our room had been left Not serviced and floor covered with plaster dust, screws from maintenance. There was no follow up to see how I was or an offer of anything! Very poor.returning guests are given a welcome card and Lollies! Apparently injuring a guest is of less importance. Staff on checkout suggest I have room longer until late flight that day but really it was all too late then! I was told that they would fix something on account at time of accident and yet they charged me for everything... Even a short phone call to husband to tell of my injury.
A hotel that rests on its views and location. It is tired, with poorly revamped old rooms and very dangerous window fittings.
I would never stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Gojourney
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Room 1015 is a corner room, spacious and comfortable however the king size bed is made up of two beds pushed together and because the mattress has collapsed on both sides, the only way I could get to sleep was by lying almost sideways to get my bottom on the middle divider. Was very uncomfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Terry B
Australia
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This hotel has fantastic views of Sydney Harbour and the bridge. All rooms have Harbour views. The buffet lunch is great value. They have refurbished some rooms this year and the side wall in the bathroom is clear glass facing out onto the bedroom and the Harbour however it does have a blind you can pull down for privacy. Beds are super comfy. Check in is quick and easy with a porter to manage your bags right from the taxi.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
The Rocks
Holiday Inn Old Sydney
Holiday Inn Old Sydney
#43 of 178 in Sydney

Been to North Sydney Harbourview Hotel? Share your experiences!