“Incredible buffet breakfast”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
Canberra, Australia
“Incredible buffet breakfast”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We recently stayed at Rydges North Sydney on a business trip for my husband - and I came along with our two kids. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment which was spacious and convenient and transformed the trip from 'manageable' to 'fabulous'.
Every staff member we encountered during our four day stay was friendly and helpful and the onsite parking was very convenient.
But the stand out moment was the first day we experienced the new style Rydges breakfast. From wheat grass shots to Hollandaise sauce this is one of the best hotel buffet breakfasts I've ever experienced (only just topped by the Ritz Carlton in Kuala Lumpur). Freshly made berrie smoothies and individual size bircher muesli, followed up by gluten free bread and delicious juice. And everything presented beautifully too.
Apparently this is the first Rydges to have the new-style breakfast and it will be rolled out to other Rydges soon. If you like being able to top your poached eggs with as much Hollandaise as you can get on your plate, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: The units (one or two bedroom) are great for families.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KristinLTD
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear KristinL TD,

I’m so pleased to read you had a “fabulous” stay with us.

The 1 bedroom suites are certainly great for families; it was also wonderful to see you enjoyed breakfast so much. You may be assured I have shared you kind remarks with all the staff and particularly the Breakfast Chefs ... it very is motivating for all concerned.

Thanks again I hope we see you back in North Sydney soon.

jon_ackary@rydges.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 10 March 2012

The Rydges is in desperate need of a renovation with cracked tiles in the bathroom and mould over the seals on the bar fridge. I stayed in a one bedroom apartment and its quite roomy with the exception of the bedroom. The service is quite good and the staff are friendly and helpful. Its a short walk to the business area of north sydney and probably close to 20 minutes by foot to Lunar Park.

All in all its not bad but nothing to get excited about either.

• Stayed March 2012
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear aussie_travellers_90,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. While pleasing to read you felt the location, service and staff were good, it was disappointing the One Bedroom Suite was not up to expectation.

Last year we completed a $2 million upgrade of guest rooms which unfortunately did not include suites. I understand that we must continue to invest in the building and assure you that suites are high on my list. While a complete refurbishment will take some time to plan and implement, in the short term we are doing to address some of the more urgent issues including paint, equipment and lighting.

There is no excuse for the mouldy fridge door seal, please be assured I have discussed this with the Housekeeper, we understand the need to do better.

Thank you for your interest, please visit us again soon I’d be delighted to be of assistance with your booking.

London
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Right...perspective.

I was in Dubai for a week, ready to go home to the UK when I was asked to change plans THAT DAY, and get to Sydney for a week. Panic. Flight booked, one set of clean clothes left.

I was trying to book a hotel 1 day before arrival in Sydney, during Margi Gras weekend, I needed relatively good, comfort wise and not too bad price wise.

I was booking a hotel from the trade show floor, on a Blackberry with dubious Internet access.
So no Tripadvisor. Just Google Map search.

Some of the hotels I found were really bad...but somehow lucked onto Rydges Hotel, looked OK and I called, phone answered by Rowan in the early hours, friendly and very helpful, they could take me for the whole week, except Thursday. Fine. Called again, added an extra night for earlier arrival. Done.

Arrived in Sydney and was never so glad to get to a hotel, the guys were friendly and helpful, Rowan was at check in and remembered me without a blink. Apologized about the availability on Thurs and checked me in. Called an hour later and simply said, I have you booked in for Thursday - we'll sort it out. Relief.

The hotel is old, certainly, but it's a kind of cool old, nice room, awesome bed...I tried to pack it. The bathroom was maybe a bit dated and there was a bit of mould on the ceiling, but to be fair, there is more in my shower at home. The rest was clean. Discount if you register, and you are encouraged to do so. Good internet (no wireless in the rooms, sadly)

Washer and Dryer on the 7th floor in case you don't want to dry clean your underwear.

Anyhow, the food was good, staff fantastic, location was good, did I mention the bed.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the water.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank bluegiraffetv
Dear bluegiraffetv,

Wow, what a wonderful effort by Rohan!

Thank you so much for the very kind words regarding him and the Hotel, Rohan is certainly a great employee that we’re proud to have on the team.

Your comment regarding the bathroom is noted and has been discussed with the Housekeeper. I’m off to check some rooms with her in a few minutes and will make a point of checking this in particular.

Regarding Wi-Fi in rooms, the project has been approved and will be installed in the coming months.

Thanks again I have shared your review with the staff and hope we see you in North Sydney again soon.

Sydney
Reviewed 27 February 2012

The room was a good size and i was lucky enough to have a sliding door onto a small balcony which had a glimpse of the harbour. The bed was very comfortable. My main gripe is dinner in the restaurant, as it and the bar share the same space, and there was a lot of noise coming from a large group in the bar. Also, I had to fight my way through this crowd when leaving the restaurant. I didn't find the menu anything special, nor do I think ordering off an ipad is any advantage, as there are still times when you have a question to ask.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MikefromBerry
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 4 March 2012
Dear MikefromSydney,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.
I was pleased to read the accommodation was up to standard although disappointed that the restaurant was noisy with a large group in the adjoining bar. It is quite unusual, typically the area is restful and subdued.
I note your comment regarding the I-Pad ordering, it is meant to be a help to the dining experience and not a reason for staff to avoid guests, please accept my sincere apologies for any service lapse and the noisy bar.
Regarding the dinner menu, we are upgrading it shortly and expect have a more varied and interesting offering shortly, I hope that once we have this in place you might give it another try.
Thank you again for the feedback, we appreciate your patience and courtesy please visit us again soon.

Yours sincerely
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We booked a room for my Mum, sisters and I to stay after my sisters Hens Night in the City!
We had a two bedroom suite with dining room table, lounge and full kitchen. We didn't want to leave the room was first class.
To top it all off we had the best hotel breakfast ever the next morning. Great choices even gluten free choices available, really nice coffee and excellent service!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen C
Dar Karen C,

I was delighted to read that you had a fun, enjoyable stay with us.

The 2 bedroom suites are certainly very spacious and great for families; I note you enjoyed the fully equipped kitchen. We have recently upgraded the 12th floor Suite with more extensive facilities than Suites on the lower floors, so my tip is ask for the 12th floor Suite if planning extensive cooking or entertaining.

I was also more than pleased to read your endorsement of breakfast, we’ve refocused our efforts here and the feedback has been very positive.

Thanks again I hope we see you back in North Sydney soon.

Reviewed 13 February 2012

We booked a room for 2 adults and 2 kids. So a one bedroom suite was perfect. Kids went to sleep n the bedroom, adults watched tv from the sofa bed.
We chose Rydges Nth Sydney for the Twilight at Taronga concert package. Bus transfers, buffet breakfast, all great for out-of-towners.
Probably the best part was the welcoming smile on arrival, and that nothing was difficult at all. We were originally booked into a 4th floor suite, but the furniture was still being cleaned. We ended up on the 8th floor, with a great view. All this was done in a matter of moments, by the front desk manager.
Service isn't everything, but it's very important. These guys got it right!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Melbflyer
Dear Melbflyer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

Fantastic to read your kind remarks regarding the hotel and particularly the Suites, there are 46 One and Two Bedroom Suites and they are certainly very spacious!

Likewise I was delighted to read that the service from the Front Desk was so responsive and the Twilight Concert at Taronga Zoo value & fun.

I have shared your kind remarks with the Front Desk Team, thank you again I hope we see you on another visit to Sydney.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Stay here on business when I travel to Sydney.
Good rates, great hotel, good room service, good rooms.
Highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank mellos
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear mellos,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

I was delighted to read you enjoy staying regularly on business; the Hotel is certainly well located and it is gratifying we are measuring up in other areas including room service.

I hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back to Rydges North Sydney soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Sydney
#1 of 3 in St Leonards
Meriton Suites Chatswood
Meriton Suites Chatswood
#1 of 5 in Chatswood

Been to Rydges North Sydney? Share your experiences!