“Fantastic.”

Rydges North Sydney
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
“Fantastic.”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We are getting ready to leave after staying here for 2 nights with our 18 month old daughter, and have thoroughly enjoyed our experience. The staff are great and have doted on us and our baby. Wherever we go its all smiles and offers of assistance. The room is on the 11th floor and has a fantastic view of both parks and harbour, stunning. Room is clean and well laid out. Value for money is great! We are visiting from the country and can't recommend this hotel highly enough. Well done staff and management at Rydges North Sydney!

• Stayed June 2012
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear Mrs Priest,
I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, and was especially pleased to hear you enjoyed the service you received during your stay, a comment I have shared with our staff members.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Rydges North Sydney in the near future!
jon_ackary@rydges.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2012

My wife, my daughter and i stayed for 6 nights in the Rydges North sydney in early january, we had just endured a 29 hour flight from the UK, when we arrived at 2 in the morning, the staff were lovely, friendly and very helpfull.
We had a standrad room which had nice decor the only thing that let the room down was the bathroom could of done with a bit of a refurb, but other than that it was very nice place to stay.
The Hotels restaurant was superb. the manager was a lovely gentleman who was always willing to be of a help and the food was great

i would reccomend this hotel to anyone staying on North Sydney

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Dear Geordie Traveller,
I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, particularly that you enjoyed the service from our front desk and the service and food in our restaurant.
I do note your concerns about our bathrooms being a bit dated, we are currently working on a new prototype for the bathrooms and hope to roll them out in the near future.
Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have you stay again in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My husband and I recently stayed in a Queen harbour view room, whilst the decor is new and modern the bathroom is very old. The shower and toilet both require replacing - the shower head was cracked and shower curtain very outdated. Due to age of toilet large dusty pipes visible.
The bed was very comfortable however I was very shocked to find that they doona had no doona cover, when I rang reception I was advised that it is a "triple sheet doona" meaning a doona between 2 sheets. Personally, I found this to be very unhygienic. Doona covers are a must!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
I note your concerns regarding bathrooms, as mentioned previously we are working on a mock-up bathroom hopefully we can roll out in the next 12 months. The images of our current bathrooms on many websites including rydges.com are recent and accurate; I would encourage other readers to view an make their own judgement.

Regarding the bed, triple sheeting is an industry standard in most 4-5 Star hotels I can assure you that ALL sheets are changed before a new arrival.

On the other hand thank you for the positive service rating, I hope you visit us again soon.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We walked from the North Sydney rail station towing our bags and we were fine (I'm 79).
The three night rate was appealing and as Seniors we had free breakfast. This was exceptional even if we had paid. Their secret is the cast iron containers on induction stove tops. The food is always HOT and a thousand hotels could learn from this. And the spread was imaginative and perfectly presented. There is a cab rank on the street frontage and the staff just press the button and the car rolls up. Ray Moss Perth Australia

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dear Mr Moss,
I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, particularly our new breakfast, we are very focused on providing our guests with fresh, well presented, hot food. I am glad that you enjoyed the conveniences of our location and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 May 2012

The Rydges North Sydney hotel is just slightly out of the way from the main areas of North Sydney located in McLaren Street.

A ten minute walk will get you to the train station. A warning though; North Sydney "closes" down on a Sunday so there is very little to do there on that day.

The room was a Quick Getaway Special at $175 (plus $5.50 credit card fee) which gave us a refurbished queen room, with complimentary parking, full buffet breakfast and a late checkout to 1pm.

The room was spacious and had indeed been refurbished. Surprisingly though it was as if the bathroom had not been refurbished. It was tired. Examples of this included a soap holder that was cracked and chipped on the edge (the soap holder was inconveniently located at the shower head end and was in the way when taking a shower - why it was not located mid way on the way I have no idea!!). The bathroom door was chipped and bits of the timber vaneer was missing, the tiles were grubby and dirty in the corners as if the cleaners had ignored the edges of the the bathroom, no fan in the bathroom, fittings looked tired, black mould in section of the grout between tiles).

The mini bar was very well appointed. WIFI was available in public areas of the ground floor and in room but inroom was billable and charged by the minute (no details were published in the room as to what the rate per minute was so be careful of this!!).

The bed was advertised in room as being comfortable and specially designed for Rydes. We found that during the night that my partner and I rolled towards the middle of the bed that was slightly sunken and that the bed was too soft. The rest we received on the bed we found was below standard which surprised us given the claims written in-room. One person sleeping in the bed would certainly have a better night's sleep than two people in the same bed.

Check in/out staff were polite and helpful. The breakfast buffet was nice with a good range of food available.

Overall the hotel was pleasant but the discomfort of the bed would mean I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get an Easterly facing room as that overlooks Sydney harbour and is far more attractive than...
4 Thank FPA208
I was disappointed to read that the bed was not as comfortable as we believe and other reviewers have indicated. Housekeeping have been instructed to check them all perhaps one is faulty and requires replacement. Would you mind contacting me with your real name so that I can personally check the room in question?

A $2 Million refurbishment of bedrooms was completed in 2011, we are currently working on a mock-up bathroom hopefully we can roll out in the next 12 months. In the meantime I can assure readers that the images of our current bathrooms on many websites including ours are recent and accurate, check for yourself. The comment regarding cleanliness has been reviewed with the Housekeeper; closer attention is clearly required, we understand the need to do better.

As mentioned wifi in the lobby is free, the first 20MB of in-room Internet is free and then $15 per day or $7.50 if you are a member of our Priority Guest Program – which is free.

Thank you for the kind remarks regarding breakfast and staff, I hope you visit us again soon.

LA
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I traveled around the world Rydges hotel is the the wost experience in our world journeys. My husband booked the hotel at 8pm by mistake, so we just went with it. We know the room may not ready around that time. Totally understand...There're another guest waiting about 40 minute before the check in time. Front desk lady gave him OK to check in. We asked the lady to check if room avaiable at the same time. She's never came back or said anything. We went asked again, her face was horrible mean looking. Ok, we finally checked in at 8pm. Her attitude was like we earned so much from her hotel. I just don't understand the whole hotel has that room available right at the moment. They could do much better customer service. If I were the manager, I will fired those front desk ladies LONG LONG TIME ago. They would not fit for customer desk at all. Totally don't have any customer service what so ever. I would not recommend this hotel at all.

Room Tip: find somewhere close by, but not this hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TC w
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
I'm really surprised to read your comments; they are so out of step with our other reviews?

Please contact me directly as I'd like to get the full story, unfortunately it is very hard for me to get to the bottom of what happened and follow up with staff.

If you could email me the date you stayed and your name or room number I will be able to take some action, your experience is quite unusual for this Hotel.

Travellers are raving about these North Sydney hotels

Forbes, Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We were looking for a place to stay on a quick trip to Sydney to see a show. Although not in the CBD this hotel is conveniently Located at North Sydney and is handy to public transport. Our package included full breakfast for two and also undercover parking. We stayed in a refurbished room which had harbour glimpses. The room was clean and comfortable and the bed was lovely. Nicely refurbished bathroom and plenty of toiletaries. The only downside for us was a very small bar fridge with no freezer compartment. As we have a small cooler bag and ice bricks this was a small hiccup in what otherwise was a very pleasent stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
The current Weekend Package ($175 Bed, Breakfast and Parking) is so popular I’m delighted you were able to take advantage for a short break.

It was very pleasing to read your kind remarks regarding the refurbishment which I have shared with all concerned. It really helps to keep the team focused and motivated thanks again!!

I hope we see you in North Sydney again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Sydney
InterContinental Sydney
InterContinental Sydney
#23 of 175 in Sydney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,205 reviews

Been to Rydges North Sydney? Share your experiences!