“Wants to be something it's not!”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in North Sydney
Reviewed 30 July 2013

What I mean by that is that the Hotel, which appears to have been built in the 70s sits atop what is essentially a very pricey restaurant, the only source of food in the hotel. Unless of course you use the mini bar where a kitkat will set you back $4, a bottle of wine $26AUD or a bottled beer between $8 and $9.50..............$4 for a kitkat? Shame on you!

As a business traveller, these amenities are important, well they are to me anyway.

So, the restaurant. It is possible to order some of the restaurant menu and eat in the bar area, but you can't eat the bar menu in the restaurant. As I was told by a member of staff "it creates the wrong image for the restaurant".

With that in mind and a bill for the FOOD ONLY for 2 courses for two of us coming to $93, you might imagine that the service was impeccable and well thought through. Me too, which is why I was surprised to have my desert delivered to me (because I ordered two courses up front presumably) before my colleague had ordered his desert.

The room. Adequate other than the lighting in the bedroom where presumably you are only supposed to be able to feel your way to bed.

I had cause to pack after the sun had gone down....BIG MISTAKE. I know my eye sight is not what it used to be but really? Two low energy wall lights?

And finally, greedy, greedy, greedy. We asked if we could use the room on our final day until 7.00pm that evening because we were working till 3 and then had to come back to the hotel to shower and pack for our 26 hour return flight to the UK.

The hotel said that they were not full so the room would probably have been empty anyway (I know, that's not guaranteed). The rate was $225. To add insult to injury, when we returned that afternoon at 3, the room had not even been serviced!

We did point this out at reception who offered to get it done but.................well you know the rest.

Oh yes and if you want the "day room service menu" which apparently is available until 10pm, (it says so in your guest guide so it must be true!) don't call in your order at 2 minutes to 10pm because they have already gone onto the "night menu".

So in conclusion, as a business traveller, the things which are important to those of us who are not on a relaxed schedule, THIS PLACE FAILED.

As a tourist, I would suggest that you get a place closer to the centre of town because honestly I had as good a room at the Travelodge for a lot less on my last visit.

Would welcome a response from the hotel service manager and if I get one I will post the outcome. I believe in being FAIR!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Katie D, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel we appreciate the time you have taken to advise us of your stay

We understand that when you are travelling and away from home having a good meal and options is very important. Our team do endeavour to provide the best possible service with options for restaurant dinning, bar snacks and room service, and yes they come from the same kitchen but most hotels operate this way.

Our food & beverage manager has reviewed your comments in relation to the mini bar, room service and Mundo restaurant. We do apologise for the unfortunate mishaps you have had but it is very rare that we will have comments on the minibar – Something that we will take on board. As for the dinner we will check with the team to ensure this isn’t a regular occurrence.

In relation to lighting as a Green globe hotel we try to be as energy efficient as possible by using compact/LED florescent lighting. We have reviewed your feedback with maintenance who are currently looking at a stronger globe that will ensure sufficient lighting.

In relation to your late checkout unfortunately when requesting a late check out after 1:00pm we do charge the full rate as we will not service that room or be able to sell it to another guest that evening.

I do apologise that your room was not serviced but as it was due out later that evening housekeeping would of left the room unless otherwise instructed. Reception are always proactive to assist when housekeeping has gone though.

It is unfortunate that we did not meet your standards sir and we assure you we always try our best to turn the guest around so I hope in good faith you do return to us to enjoy a more comfortable stay

If there is anything else I can do for you please let me know

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Bathroom really needs to be updated. Plastic shower curtain that barely stay inside the tub, bad ventilation in the tub, rivets in the metal ceiling visible, beginnings of corrosion visible in ceiling, just needs major refurbishment. Number on my room door was damaged. Very very underwhelmed.

And ... agree with frequent_fly_1977 service was friendly but slow.

Bad value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms on East/Southeast side probably have a slightly better view
1  Thank TypeYourNameHere

Thank you for providing us with feedback after your recent stay.

It is disappointing to hear that we did not meet your expectations but in this industry we value the time our guests take to let us know about their time with us.

Your comments have been discussed with members of our team and we hope that you do return again for a more comfortable stay.

If there is anything else we can do for you please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

My fiancée and I stayed here for the weekend and had a lovely time. We enjoyed the unusual food served in the restaurant and the helpful service at reception. We enjoyed room service one evening as it had been raining almost all day. We ordered hamburgers, which tasted great but were difficult to eat and over-priced. The rooms were a little smaller than the other Rydges Hotels we've stayed at but had nice views of the harbour. We would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Katie D, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Thank you for the recent review on Rydges North Sydney

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Mundo Latin Bar and Grill, it is such a fun atmosphere with a very fun infused menu.

It is unfortunate to hear about the room service you ordered, I have expressed to the Chefs your disappointment and also have spoken to our Food and beverage manager to re-look at the room service menu.

Thank you again for taking the opportunity to let us know where we can improve and for the lovely comments about the team

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Point form for ease of reference:
Stay: Saturday and Sunday Night.
The Good:
1) Reception Staff were excellent.
2) Foyer looked OK.
3) Heavily discounted the stay due to the experience.
The Bad:
1) Service in the Bar: 15 minutes to be acknowledged by staff, only 10 patrons in the area.
2) Room Service: Unable to be reached via phone, had to go though reception. Food burnt, cold, and an hour 25 to deliver $18 for an inedible hotdog. Charged another room to our tab making it a $400 burger and Hotdog (neither were eaten)
3) Foxtel channels were not visible, could be heard, but images were barely there.
The Terrible:
1) The room STANK.....
2) The window would not stay open to allow fresh air in.
3) Mould all over the walls in the Bathroom.
4) Soap dish in Shower broken to reel sharp/dangerous shards.

Did management try and appease the situation? Yes, to the very best of their ability/authorisation.

Was it enough: No

Will I stay again: Perhaps with, 1) better menu for the price, 2) better hygiene in rooms, 3) Better room service, but most likely no.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank frequent_fly_1977
Katie D, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Rydges North Sydney, whilst I wish I could write back with all positives it is disheartening to hear of your recent experience with us.

When you come to hotel first impressions are everything and it is fantastic to hear that our reception team provided great service and assisted you with ease.

I Have expressed to the Food and beverage manager along with our head chef your disappoint in regards to the food & beverage component of your stay. When you are away from home eating a good meal is good for the soul and to hear that you had this upsetting experience would of dampened the stay.

Housekeeping is an area which we as a team I can only hope we all learn from, the feedback you have provided to us has been addressed to the housekeeping supervisor along with other members so that in future we can ensure the best possible standards.

I do hope you should you choose to stay with us again and please contact me directly so I can ensure that your stay lives up to your expectations of product and service. We certainly take pride in providing a great level of care and hospitality to all of our guests and I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future.

Katie Dewar , Front Office Manager
Phone: 02 9922 1311|

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Usually I like a bit more glam but this hotel has a tired, old charm all it's own that starts with a Q for quiet.

The 1 bedroom apartment (Room 711) is spacious - great size living room even with the Queen size sofa bed fully set-up. Bedroom is good and the mattress comfy. The bathroom could use an updating but at least it was clean.

Views aren't bad and if you work in North Sydney the location is superb. For some unknown reason I actually liked the bar area - probably because it was a mix of family and business people all in one and they had a large paella cooking when I arrived (the bar has a Spanish flavour).

I was surprised that I liked it but then again my office is only a short distance away so convenience wins out in this case.

Room Tip: Try 711 - 1 bedroom unit
1  Thank VCD1

Thank you for your recent review of Rydges North Sydney

It is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you enjoyed a good nights sleep in our Rydges Dream bed.

The bathroom is an area that we continue to try and up keep as best possible but appreciate the feedback you provide as it gives us something to work towards.

Wednesday night is always a hit in Mundo for a mid week Spanish feast of Paella & Sangria. We know Chef Derek’s Paella doesn’t last long and we are glad you got to enjoy the fun atmosphere

We are very lucky to be in such a quiet, yet central location for those who work in north Sydney

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, and thank you again for such a lovely review

Katie Dewar , Front Office Manager

Reviewed 11 July 2013

I am not talking about myself but this tired old hotel. My bedroom was so cold that I had to complain. Finally they conceded that they couldn't fix the problem and they put a small electric heater in my room. Whilst this helped, it was very noisy. The restaurant was also cold, particularly at breakfast time. One morning my shower ran out of hot water.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The meals were ok, but if you don't like Spanish food, there is little else to choose from.

There was no pool or fitness centre.

For $259/night I would expect better. I would not stay here again

Room Tip: If you need to leave via taxi, hail one from the stand in the street rather than having one come to...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank sanchdog

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Rydges North Sydney.

I would like to apologize for the unfortunate heating issue that occurred during your stay. It is one that especially over this cold winter period is an inconvenience to not only our guests but the hotel as a whole.

In relation to hot water this has been reviewed by our maintenance team and solutions have been put in place to avoid it happening to another guest.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the team, we Endeavour to put our guests in safe hands to ensure your stay is most comfortable. We do understand that not everyone is a fan of Spanish influenced food but endeavor to keep a range of options on our room service menu that cater for everyone’s needs.

We unfortunately do not have a pool and gym on site however are affiliated with Fitness first (local gym) for those who wish to exercise during their stay, Milsons point is also a quick walk to access their Olympic pool.

We thank you again for providing us with constructive feedback and hope to welcome you back on a better note

Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed at Rydges North Sydney overnight with our 2 boys. The staff on check-in & in the restaurant were very friendly and attentive. We had an early dinner in the restaurant, and the food was great. The kids menu actually contained 'real' food as well (we chose the teriyaki chicken and rice for the kids which having had a taste ourselves was delicious).

As part of the package we received 11am checkout, tickets to 2 Sydney attractions, full breakfast and also free parking - great value. The breakfast was fantastic, with all options covered, and the staff were very attentive in collecting plates when finished, and checking all was OK.

We stayed in a one bedroom apartment, with a pull out sofa. Both beds were comfortable, and the room also contained a small kitchenette. The carpet in the hallways was quite worn and dirty looking, however the carpet in our room was clean, and looked to have been replaced recently.

Our only gripes, were the cleanliness of the bathroom. The grout looks to have not been scrubbed in a long time, and the bathroom windows were quite dirty as well. The lack of hot water when showering was also not great. A few degrees warmer would be much more comfortable. And the ringing of a bell by the cleaner at 10am up and down the hall could surely be done without? The incessant ringing did get mildly annoying after 5 minutes of constant ringing every minute.

All in all we had a comfortable stay, and with a paint job, and a few replacements throughout the hotel, it would really increase the standard in general.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent feedback on your stay with us.

Fantastic to hear that our staff looked after you and that the kids enjoyed a yummy dinner. Derek our Executive chef and his team endeavour to keep ‘healthy’ and ‘colourful’ food options available for the children so great to hear it is working.

How great is the Stay and Explore package, we love it too. It certainly is one of the best ways to enjoy Rydges North Sydney and our favourite attractions.

Thank you for letting us know about the carpets and bathrooms in the suites, we are in the middle of organising a productive way to get these up to our guests expectations. Hopefully within time we will get there but your feedback is much appreciated.

Looking forward to welcoming you and the family back soon