“Greedy, Dishonest, Unprofessional.”

Rydges North Sydney
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
Reviewed 1 January 2014

If I could give a 0 rating I would.
My Family made a booking 1 whole year in advance to secure a harbourview suite for new years eve. Upon arrival the room that was given was a studio apartment with no view. We paid $624 for 1 night. We found out when we sought to rectify the situations that the staff had intentionally tried to mislead us. They initially insisted that this was the room we booked for. When we explained that we had been there before and knew what the room was supposed to look like they were forced to admit that the reason why the room that, we confirmed 1 year ago was no longer available, was because they had given the room to a larger family that had arrived the night before and would be staying instead for 4 nights!!!! Dishonest management trying to take advantage of a quick buck. When you pay $624 at the very least you should get the room booked for. NOT a downgrade and an offer for a 10% discount. Inconvenient, unprofessional and disappointing. The booking was cancelled. I do not recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Proceed with caution, you may not get what you paid for. And if you've never been before -they k...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Maria S

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We arrived to find that the room we had requested wasn't set up properly so we didn't all have a place to sleep. The staff were very helpful, finding a solution for the night and fixing the problem the next day. The location was good: near transport to the city and restaurants nearby. The hotel is a bit tired: modernization is a bit overdo. A coffee kiosk was never open during the busiest of times. The highlight was the staff: helpful, cheerful and always trying to find a way out of sticky issues.

Stayed: January 2014
Katie D, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you for your recent review on Rydges North Sydney

It is great to hear that our team we're proactive and helpful too you during your stay with us. Sometimes mishaps occur and we always do our best to rectify the situation to help our guests.

We do apologise about our Coffee cart in the foyer not being available during the holiday period, we still operate the restaurant coffee machine but I apologise for any inconvenience this caused you

Glad to hear that other aspects including close to transport and your interaction with the staff were up to standards.

Katie Dewar
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I was desperate for a place in Sydney on a Saturday night in December. Nothing in the city itself at short notice that didn't suggest I’d need a small mortgage to pay for it. The room at Rydges was somewhat cheaper, so booked electronically and then a quick ride over the Bridge.
I was totally knackered at the time and regret not being able to make the most of the hotel and of the room.

The bed was the best I've slept in anywhere ever. A real large-size bed and not one with two singles tied together so you can't sleep in the middle. I was out like a light, didn't want to get up in the morning but unfortunately I needed to be somewhere else early that day.

The next time I'm in Sydney if I can get a room there at a sensible price I'll check in again and check out the food and whatever's happening around the bar.

Parking was difficult - yes, I was a last minute entry - but had I not been on a motorbike I'd not have had a spot. There was one in the corner with a half-one in front so I was thinking I'd likely get blocked in, but thankfully another motorbike used it. Not brilliant considering the cost of parking down there.

It's in a part of North Sydney that's not central but also not an onerous walk away from anything. I remember that area when it was 1930s buildings and had some character but this form of progress is unavoidable.

Not the friendliest reception, instructions to the underground parking was verging on the dismissive and that’s never a good introduction to a place. No view of any note from the window. I can’t remember what I had for breakfast, if any, which doesn’t say much. Plenty of space in the room and well kitted-out.

Room Tip: They all seem to be good rooms, but for better ones, pay more or try to charm the person behind the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank get_there_in_the_end
Reviewed 29 December 2013

What is normally a great hotel to stay at this time there was no restaurant for lunches or Dinner from xmas to 13th January 2014, this you didn't find out until you are at the book in counter
If we had known this we would have stayed somewhere else. It's a shame that it is really difficult to post this on their website (not).

Breakfast on the first day was good but the second day it felt like the staff found it all too hard as there was only 3 pieces of bacon and half a scoop of dry scrambled egg so we decided to wait at a table (couldn't find a table that was not full of dirty plates etc) . finally food came out but alas there were no clean plates or cutlery.

It was obvious that their usual staff were on holidays except one usual girl and they all deserve that but you would think they would replace them with people that are willing to work

We will definitely be back but after January

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Booked two nights, 24 and 25 December, via Rydges site @ $139 per night, not bad for Sydney.

We have stayed here a few times before. Reception was good, pleasant, professional staff. The hotel was only half full due to time of year. The rooms are ok, but I would like to see King size beds put in, the current doubles are too small for a couple. Clean rooms. We had a park view room facing onto hotel entry, quiet.We had a bar meal first night as Mundos Restaurant was closed but several restaurant meals on bar menu. So we ate in bar area and 'Tim' the Bar person looked after us real well, very proficient and pleasant chap. I spilled my red wine into my dinner and he fixed it up, thanks. Breakfast buffet VG as usual, one of the best around, good food, plenty of variety and nice staff. Overall very happy with stay. The staff make this place.

We would certainly stay again when we visit family in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stopped in the Rydges North Sydney Airport for 4 nights on a business trip in November 2013. The hotel is situated in a very nice, safe and quiet part of North Sydney and just a short walk into the main business area of North Sydney and only around 20 minutes walk from the Harbour Bridge.

I was upgraded to a suite for my stay (which was very much appreciated) providing me with a comfy living room to relax and unwind in and a separate nice bedroom and bathroom.

In regards food and drink, breakfast at the hotel was superb, there was plenty of choice (of which i tried most) and the food was very tasty and good quality and the bar was well stocked, with very friendly and knowledgeable staff.

If there was a downside it was that there was no on-site gym or pool.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for a business traveler.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Staying with my wife and 8 month old son in a one bed room suite with City views. My son slept in the lounge room in a portacot provided free of charge by the hotel. The room had a microwave oven so we could heat up the baby formula and food as required in the room.

If we had booked earlier we could have saved 50% on the room rate as there was a long weekend promotion but the hotel claimed that this offer was sold out, very disappointing as we had to pay double the offer price.
The Mexican dinner themed restaurant was average and I did not like the food. The breakfast was average with extra charges for coffee from a machine!
The hotel is tired and in desperate need of a refurbishment.

Room Tip: Book early, register with the rydges programme and request a room upgrade.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family