Rydges North Sydney
Meriton Suites North Sydney(North Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$118
  • Pool
Vibe Hotel North Sydney(North Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$96
  • Pool
McLaren Hotel(North Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$102
  • Room Service
Harbourside Apartments(McMahons Point)(Great Value!)
US$135
US$114
  • Pool
North Sydney Harbourview Hotel(North Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$198
US$103
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
The Greenwich Inn Motel(St Leonards)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$95
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Urban St Leonards(St Leonards)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$110
Priceline
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Hotel St Leonards(St Leonards)
US$98
US$95
Agoda.com
All reviewsfree wifitaronga zoobit datedtwo bedroom suitecomfortable staybuffet breakfastbusiness districtbusiness hoteltrain stationluna parka harbour view roompublic transportharbour bridgesydneyovalroomycbd
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Though I am Australian I live overseas and visit Sydney twice a year. In 15 years since I've been doing this, I have stayed in several hotels, some better than others, but I have never stayed in a hotel as awful and quite frankly as absurdly overpriced as this Rydges. In any other country or city, this hotel would be worth no more than $100 a night, but I felt as if if i was have money stolen from me coming to this hotel. From the very beginning I felt treated as if I was somehow unimportant. The receptionist who checked me in, Kirsty, has yet to smile and exude any degree of warmth whatsoever even if I needed to ask her a question. The room, supposedly one of the hotel's best, room 1207, was dingy, dark, and a cramped queen size bed. Yes there was a kind of view, but you had to strain to see a glimpse of harbor.
My TV had problems when I connected my HDMI cable from my iPad to the TV, and of course the hotel staff had no idea what I was talking about and promised to send someone to check it out. That never happened.
I paid extra for breakfast a horrible affair, with overcooked scrambled eggs that reminded me of my childhood at boarding school. In most hotels you usually have someone prepare eggs to order for the additional $20 a night I was paying. But not here. One morning I got there at 9 am and was aced to move tables because she was preparing for lunch. Really?
There's the creaky dangerous sounding elevator in dire need of repairs. Also don't get any mail sent to to this hotel. They only check it three times a week and an engagement card I was expecting arrived three days later and the staff couldn't be bothered bringing it to my room. Rydges ought to be ashamed running a hotel in this way, which would be a two and a half star establishment possibly three. I was here with my fiancee, her first visit to Australia. What an introduction! The location leaves much to be desired.
This is an old hotel with poor sub service that is absurdly overpriced. It is unlikely I would ever return to any Rydges hotel following this experience. Travelers beware.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PAUL F
Katie D, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Paul

Thank you for your tripadvisor review on Rydges North Sydney today.

It is unfortunate to hear that when returning to Australia you have had such an unfortunate experience in our hotel.

I understand that you stayed with the hotel for a number of days and that during this time you encountered some issues, some of which we were able to resolve and others that have let you down.

In relation to the price of the hotel it is a similar situation to "Airline prices" when the demand is high the rate goes up, the week you have chosen to stay with us was a demand week and the price you have been charged may have been higher during those days but comparable to the North Sydney market.

It is disappointing to hear your feedback on our junior staff member Kirstie, we work in an industry where our guests relations are key and to hear that we let you down is sad to hear.

Further to our telephone conversation this morning as Monday was a public holiday we only conducted the mail twice during the week, Wednesday evening you notified reception that the parcel had not arrived which we then collected on Thursday for you, I apologise that it was not brought up to the room but In relation to your breakfast, we have refunded you for this component while it does not take away your upsetting breakfast & hotel experience we hope you will accept the discount as a token of apology from the team.

I appreciate the time you have taken to bring these issues to our attention and should you have any further feedback please do not hesitate to contact me directly

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel because it was close to where I had some business to do.
It iswhat it is - a fairly basic hotel, I would classify it at 31/2 star. definately , not the worst I've been to.
We had dinner in the restaurant, the service from the waiter was great,however we had to wait nearly 1 1/2 hours for our meal. Not good

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Sharon

Thank you for your recent review of Rydges North Sydney.

Glad to hear that we were in the right location for you during your time in Sydney. We are lucky to be fairly close to many businesses and transportation to make the trip easier.

Great to also hear that the Restaurant service was up to your satisfaction and our apologies for the delay with your meal. We will certainly bring this to the chefs and Food and beverage managers attention.

We hope you return to Rydges again soon

Katie Dewar
Front Office Manager, Rydges North Sydney

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed four nights at Rydes - was a bit concerned after reading other reviews, but our experience was great. Staff on check in very friendly and polite. Hotel is a bit older but the room was very clean, bed and pillows excellent, great view of the harbour. The restaurant and bar were fantastic. We ate there three nights out of four and each meal was deliciously of a very high standard and the wine selection great, with some good special deals for $7/glass wines. Had breakfast on the go one morning and great selection with good size portions. Main reason we stayed there was for business so it was close to the venue we were going to. The shuttle bus advertised on website was not running, and the special menu nights were not available so I would suggest that the website be kept up to date. And the window in our room did not open - needed some maintenance in that regard. Overall it was great value for money, all staff that we encountered were very polite and friendly - great restaurant and bar. Will definitely go back if I need to be in North Sydney.

Room Tip: We had a harbour view room on 11th floor - really quiet and good views
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your recent Tripadvisor review on Rydges North Sydney

Great to hear that you enjoyed the stay and that despite some reviews you had seen we made your stay a positive one. We really appreciate that you have recognised the members of our team, we love good feedback and to hear that the team were polite and friendly is fantastic.

We apologise about the shuttle, during the Christmas/new year break we we're unable to run this however it is back to normal now so on your next stay it should be available to you.

We value the time you have taken to bring this information to our attention and hope you return again soon

Reviewed 21 January 2014

The hotel is in a great central position to anything in Northern and central Sydney. Easy access to transport. Even though it comes with the Rydges badge whereby you expect for the money you pay to stay there the rooms themsleves though roomy are very tired and in need of a big refurbishment. The wardrobe doors in the bedroom are so old and takes both hands on the handle to open.The fold out sofa bed had a broken leg and therefore couldn't be used, so our daughter had to sleep on it as just the lounge. Carpets and general paintwork needs a spring clean.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review on your stay with us at Rydges North Sydney

Our hotel has taken a soft refurbishment in all of our standard accommodation rooms and in time we hope that the suites will get a make-over too.

New sofa beds are on order and we appreciate the time you have taken to let us know where we need to improve.

We hope you return again soon.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Hotel staff were friendly. Breakfast was very good with a wide selection, room was only average though. It seemed old and the tv was analogue with very poor reception. Internet was very very slow. Complementary bottled water would be nice. The mini bar was extortionately priced. Air conditioning was very noisy. Staff were late with one of my wake up calls so I had to miss breakfast to get to work on time. There are no leisure facilities at all.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Rydges North Sydney

Great to hear the staff were friendly and you enjoyed our breakfast offerings.

We are currently running the Free internet service on a trial basis so the feedback you have provided is very beneficial to us as we are working on solutions.

We appreciate you letting us know about the rooms and areas we need to improve. I will follow up with the team in relation to wake-up calls normally we are always very thorough with this and never have issues so I will be sure to address this with the team.