“Very nice”

Rydges North Sydney
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in North Sydney
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This hotel is very nice to stay in. The bed is comfortable. It is close to public transport. Check in was very fast as my partner and I had drove down from Brisbane. It is self parking. The amount we paid for parking is the same as what I pay at south bank, down fall is that it is self parking. But on the up side it is good because you know where you've parked the car, but also in saying that there is more chance of getting it damaged pas anybody can park next to you. Otherwise everything is really nice. We got upgraded to another room, and got to choose which room we wanted, at no extra close.
When we checked out, the lady looked very unprofessional, I understand she is on the grave yard shift, but still no need to look like she just got out of bed.
Otherwise everything was perfect. Would defiantly stay again.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at Rydges North Sydney for 3 nights and were well and truly impressed by the room, facilities and service that we received from all the staff members we encountered.

Our spacious room on the 14th floor had a fantastic view from the balcony and the room itself was well appointed with some particularly attractive artwork of the local Sydney area.

Breakfast in the morning was phenomenal! What a great selection of food. It was the best hotel breakfast I have had in Australia! You should be very proud of that!

The front desk staff were always very friendly and willing to help with the few requests we had during our stay. Will definitely be choosing to stay here again, next time I am in Sydney!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I don't normally write reviews but to help others I am in this case.
After arriving on foot from North Sydney station into Mcclaren st we had some difficulty finding the front entrance of the hotel as it's set back off the road and is obviously designed for cars only...
Once we found the entrance, walking up the driveway we joked that the building could be at home in Soviet era East Germany. The side of the building facing the best part of Sydney Harbour has NO windows!
The reception staff were friendly and all went well.... Until we arrived at our room and found that it was not a twin room as we had ordered, but a single King. We returned to the reception and told them what happened. They said they would arrange for housekeeping to correct and gave us a card to go the bar to wait for our room to be made up. Not really what we wanted after a long flight and train trip.
The bar staff is where things started really going wrong... After a very long wait for someone to turn up we were promptly told us one drink per card. Even though we had two people in the room....not a great way to treat customers that are already being inconvenienced.
Eventually we got to our room in the correct configuration.
First impressions were not good. The air conditioning was off and the room was hot and stuffy with a musty smell. The rooms decor was very old and tatty.
Upon turning the air conditioner on we were shocked how loud it was! Even on the lowest setting.
Worse, the Air con was full of dust and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in decades.
Time for a shower to freshen up.... But the shower head was broken and wouldnt stay up on its own....very hard to have proper shower with only one free hand.... The bathroom was very poorly ventilated. The only reading material in the room was a copy of "Trade-a-Boat"... What the? Our supposed "Park View" room overlooked an old apartment block, no park in sight....Not long after arrival we just wanted to get out of the very depressing room.
Upon leaving the room we had a 10 minute wait for the lift... Eventually we got into the service elevator with some trays to get back down....
I could go on... We cancelled our 2nd night and moved to a far better hotel for a lot less.
Rydges should be ASHAMED to run an establishment like this allowing it to decay to this level. I had a similar experience at Rydges Caloundra so no more Rydges hotels for me.
I feel for their staff who tried their best in difficult circumstances.
This is a 2 1/2 star hotel at 4 star prices. I do not recommend it at all. Avoid until Rydges spend some capital on this hotel. Terrible.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bigsook
Katie D, Front Office Manager at Rydges North Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, it is important for us to hear the good and bad experiences our guests have so we can look to see what we can improve on and where we are most strong.

Our whole team was disheartened to read that your stay was not what you expected and from behalf of the General Manager Rhys and the whole team we would like to apologise for the disappointment we have caused you.

I could address all of the areas that we need to improve on but I won’t waste your time and just say that it is awful we let you down and I assure you that this feedback has not been taken lightly. We work in an industry where our guests come first and It was great to see that despite the mishaps our staff tried to best help you where they could.

I value the time you have taken to bring this information to our attention and hope that you if we have an opportunity to make your next Rydges stay better you will contact me directly

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 28 February 2014

My mother and I stayed two nights here recently and were happy with the cleanliness, comfortable beds and great location. We went to twilight at Taronga nearby which was great. Our view from the 12th floor was lovely and the room was very quiet. Staff were also very pleasant.

We did however struggle to shower both nights, and even tried early morning and middle of the day. It took over 20 minutes to get hot water and even then it was intermittent.
No water pressure also made showering difficult and unpleasant. With all the positives of this place, we wouldn't go back because being able to shower is a basic need at a hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank APar31

Hi Amie,

Thank you for taking the time to review.

It is such a shame that your stay was impacted by no hot water. This is an issue that has been addressed with maintenance and our General manager so we hope that we can keep an eye on it so it doesn't affect someone else - safe to say we haven't had another report of it so fingers crossed.

Glad that you enjoyed our taronga package though we really enjoy the vibe it brings to the hotel and hope you will come next year too.

Thanks again

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed in a one bedroom suite with a young baby. The hotel itself has been updated recently, but the lifts need a serious service as they are incredibly slow and rather bumpy. The walkway up to the hotel is also a shared driveway which was a little unnerving walking with the pram.

We stayed in a one bedroom suite (city view) which was very spacious, though a little dated. It had a very large lounge with plenty of seating and a small kitchen, as well as a balcony. Good views too. The bedroom was also of a good size and fitted the cot in it, with a second tv too. the bathroom had a bath but was fairly dated. we had requested and paid for a cot, and checked in at 1pm, but the cot 'wasn't available' at that time and we had to ask again at 7pm for one to be delivered - not ideal with a young baby who needed naps!!!

Room Tip: the suites are well worth the extra price for a lot more space especially if you are travelling with...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank nzamy

Thank you for your recent review on Rydges North Sydney .

The good news is that we have reviewed the lifts and are working on the best way possible to fix them. As the building is older the lifts are too so we do our best to maintain the service on them.

Great to hear you enjoyed the suite and I have followed up in relation to the cot from your stay, the day you checked in early we were able to get you into your room and when the houseman went to take the cot up a do not disturb sign was hung outside the door - as hotel policy we cannot knock or enter so our apologies for the delay with this.

We hope that all other aspects of your stay were comfortable and hope you will return again

Thanks again

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We booked a room at Rydges as it was one of the only under-$200 hotels remaining on Valentine's Day. Claiming to be a Four-Star Hotel, the room was cramped; the furnishings old; and to top it off, loud traffic noise could be heard from the highway below at all times. We paid a little extra for the 'Queen Harbour View Suite', which was an outrageous misnomer: the bed was a DOUBLE, not a queen; and the 'harbour view' consisted of a sliver of blue that was visible on the right-hand horizon above countless rows of buildings and roads.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us.

It is unfortunate that we let you down and I apologise if you were misinformed by our water view but I would like to address that our Queen harbourview suite is located from the 7th Floor above overlooking lavender bay (back end of Sydney Harbour) and not the direct Sydney Harbour Bridge views.

All these rooms have a Rydges Dream bed - a queen bed which is a Rydges standard. We have reviewed all this rooms with housekeeping to double check this and all are queen configuration.

If you would like to book directly with me next time we can ensure your will be well looked after.

Regards

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Dated decor, noisy aircon, location not convenient, elevators noisy and shaky and in dire need of refurb/repairs, service average at best. TV has poor reception, and only FTA. Although the room is ok and wifi free (albeit slow!), the room service took over an hour to arrive and after I called to complain, it arrived a further 15 mins later. The quality of the food was appalling (greasy burger, re-fried chips and flat coke) so I rang to complain and advised them I wouldn't be paying for that meal and requested they bring me a salad instead, which arrived 20 mins later with no apology. To add insult to injury, the salad was inedible too. They sell bottles in the fridge but there is no bottle opener in the room...? They partially did up my room, deciding to leave the salad from the night before behind on the desk, and all cushions were left on the couch as if they hadn't finished making the bed. The bath has visible black holes which have been patched up, and the grout has mould...again, a refurb is much needed!!!!

No gym...you can pay to use Genesis which is a 7 min walk.

I never complain, so for me to write a review like this is rare. This is the first and last time I will be staying at Rydges. With competition being so fierce these days, unless Rydges shape up, they may not be in business very long. Bitterly disappointed...I would be kind to rate this establishment a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business